HDR overblown on game launch after system restart

HDR overblown on game launch after system restart

Severity: Urgent
Consistency of bug recreation: ~80%

A result of Overwatches interesting implementation of HDR, and windows HDR settings, and how HDR is applied and launched in windows 11.

I have attempted to search google for a better more permanent solution to no avail.

System Information: triple monitor setup. 1 HDR 1000 OLED display (aw3423dw); 2 non HDR displays (asus 4k display, MSI display)
GPU:RTX3090
CPU: 5950X
NVME SSD 2TB
Windows 11
Primary Display is the OLED HDR Display (aw3423dw) in windows

Display connect order on GPU left to right: MSI display(DP), aw3423dw(DP), Asus 4k display(HDMI)

BIOS loads on MSI display. (this is important because windows HDR does not load on startup. it is applied after the system reaches the login screen) this is the root cause of why this interaction happens i beleive. However it does not matter which display is display 1 on a hardware level. bug occurs regardless

Recreate:
1: have 3 displays 1 HDR, 1 or 2 non HDR
2: enable HDR in windows 11; Ensure they are set correctly according to Microsoft recommendations and your display.
3: enter overwatch and set HDR brightness and Darkness. Ensure they are correct
4: Quit Overwatch
5: Restart
6: open overwatch 2: If not overblown, restart from step 5
7: Overblown image in all game settings types and modes. Cannot be fixed without quitting overwatch and following the steps below. Failure to follow the steps below will not reset the HDR settings in windows.

Temporary fix:
1: Disable HDR in Overwatch
2: Quit overwatch:
3: Disable windows HDR
4: Re-enable window HDR:
5: open Overwatch
6: enable HDR in Overwatch
7: Restart overwatch
8: HDR should now be correctly applied.

With HDR displays becoming more commonplace this issue should be resolved.
May require a complete overhaul of the HDR implementation in Overwatch.

This issue does not persist in other game titles to my knowledge.

1 Like