Hate messages and death threats from cheating

I just find it to be unprofessional for a game designer to openly state somebody cheated. Because then endless harassment ensues for the user. Could have just shut the thread and private messaged the user…

Indirectly attacked. He set the user up to be attacked by countless users. And I thought Overwatch was against bullying/harassment?

Although I understand the moral dilemma behind it I have to say I don’t care too much. I feel bad for the guy but at the same time here he is, under the same name, posting away in the public eye; it could be an attempt at public reformation for himself, an appeal of sorts, or just taking the opportunity to keep stirring the pot… maybe all three and more.

I don’t necessarily think it was a good idea on Jeff’s part but personally I am comfortable with what’s happened. He cheated, he walked into the public and tried to clear his name when it was actually dirty and he knew exactly what he was doing. Jeff doesn’t seem to be out and about calling people out, this was a rare circumstance (I was a part of that thread) and you should admit that every now and again someone is going to be made an example of… for the community I think it was a good move, we know they are taking cheating seriously despite the constant outcry from the community that “nothing is being done”. Well guess what, here it is being done.

I sort of feel bad for the guy because no one really ‘deserves’ death threats when gaming is the context matter, but at the same time I don’t feel bad for him because he did what he did and then proceeded to put himself in public… now I am just reiterating but you get my drift.

I really wouldn’t word it like that. I imagine if this guy reported people with evidence that they have a chance at seeing punishment as well. The world’s not perfect, that’s all I can say… Also, how can you say “indirectly” and then follow up with “And I thought Overwatch was against bullying/harassment?” - Which is it, indirectly or purposely bullied?

As far as I’m concerned Blizzard should publish a full list of banned accounts usernames/battletags every time there’s a ban wave for cheating.

1 Like

I do understand that, but the mere closing of a thread is indication enough that the user’s case is set in stone. And I also understand not feeling bad. I don’t feel bad that the user was banned for cheating. That’s absolutely understandable, don’t get me wrong in that. It just really rubs me wrong that the user was attacked in public. He didn’t even step in and say “Okay, you guys are taking this too far.” He just let it happen until the thread died. The hacker is also a human being with human rights. Just seemed kinda dirty to me.

Why? So this can happen more, and more people can be on the receiving ends of harassment and death threats?

1 Like

Bluntly I dont care at all if people who cheat get abuse while playing. They aren’t wanted in this community.

i doubt it would happen unless all of those hackers were as dumb as OP by adding their discord and email in a link in their post

They’re still people, you know. By all means, ban the cheaters. But treat them like human beings.

I imagine there’s more people thinking of not cheating now than there was before.

That sounds cold because I do understand the real world implications and we have rare examples of violence coming from situations like this, but if I was OP I would have changed my name/got a new account/learned my lesson. I wouldn’t be here posting still.

OP just wasn’t smart.

Yes, that much is on them. I will wholeheartedly agree. I just really am against how things were handled. I see your points, as well as other’s to a certain degree. It’s just controversial I guess.

Oh please stop being so dramatic. They’re getting verbal abuse for cheating in a video game not being denied their human rights.

3 Likes

Yeah, people are so soft nowadays.

And this verbal abuse was set up and condoned by the game’s head designer. Jeff didn’t step in when things got out of hand. He let it happen. Didn’t close the thread after a little while, even.

1 Like

Got anything to add to the conversation, or are you just one of those “one insult and I’m out” users?

LMAO “verbal abuse”.

I’m gonna go cry in the corner because you VERBALLY ABUSED ME!!1

They shouldn’t receive threats, but cheaters can change their discord accounts just like they do with additional Overwatch accounts.

Good. There’s nothing wrong with cheaters being told in no uncertain terms that we dont want them here.

Go cheat in a sport in real life and see what happens.

Ohhh, so death threats aren’t verbal abuse? Gotcha. So I could go tell somebody to off themselves and it’s perfectly acceptable. Thank you for your enlightening comment.

Some people are suicidal as is and being told to kill themselves is detrimental to their health. Stop being insensitive.

That much I agree with. They shouldn’t have come back in the same name and posted social outlets. That’s on them.