Hate messages and death threats from cheating

Or enjoying the show.

2 Likes

Me cheatin, me killin fun of others… others hattin me… mimimi

Ok death threats is definitely uncalled for, but the hate messages? I mean, you kind of forfeit wanting to have ‘fun’ when you installed third party software to give yourself an unfair advantage.

Good
20 Characters…

I honestly think the jab wouldn’t have been a big deal if he had taken down the image and locked the thread. It was more so dumping gas on a fire of other bad decisions on his part.

Like I said, it’s understandable, but it’s also petty coming from a dev, and it did contribute to an overarching bad move on his part.

Yeah uh, no, this a bad analogy. Trials are not forced to a higher court–upper courts can reject taking a case, particularly one where guilt is irrefutable. Punishments are often capped–you’re not going to be escalated to decades in prison for a loaf of bread, because the justice system has a sense for what is and isn’t a reasonable punishment (usually, since it’s constitutionally required). And, well… hate to break it to ya, but we don’t actually have enough evidence to say for certain whether or not this dude is guilty of using cheats. We’re pretty much operating on his and Jeff’s word here, and some speculation from an Overbuff account. And, I hate to say it, but Jeff and Blizzard have been wrong before.

So, we’re looking at this situation where a guy who claimed he was falsely banned is continuing to post about it, we don’t actually have the evidence to say one way or another, and Jeff, rather than just following the protocol that Blizzard laid out for dealing with people posting about punishments, decided not to uphold those protocols, and as a consequence, this dude is getting death threats. Might he have gotten some if Jeff did the right thing? Maybe, possibly not. Would this dude continue to be posting if Jeff had just issued the appropriate punishment in the first place and lock the thread/banned him for A) posting about punishments, and B) admitting to circumventing a ban? Maybe, but plausibly not.

If you really want an accurate analogy, it’s like a dude showed up at your town hall claiming the police wrongfully fined him $200 for petty theft and starts throwing chairs around because he’s angry about it. He doesn’t show evidence to back up his claim, the police don’t provide any evidence that he did commit petty theft, we’re just taking them both at their word. Oh, and there’s a sorta sketchy video of him walking out of a gas station with a hot dog, but nothing proving he actually did anything wrong. And, at said town hall, the chief of police decides to say, “sorry, we have proof, get lost clown,” but doesn’t bar the guy for causing a disruption for throwing chairs about even though there’s a policy that protesters will be removed. So the dude just sticks around and throws chairs around because he’s upset about what he thinks is a wrongful fine. And, as a consequence, people get tired of him and start vandalizing his yard, sending him death threats, etc. The guy then shows up later to the town hall to complain about the vandalism and threats, and people start telling him that he deserves said vandalism and death threats for supposedly committing petty theft.

There was no “trial” here. There was a unilateral decision by Blizzard to issue a punishment, and we don’t have evidence to support either side beyond a default trust in an authority which has been known to be wrong before. Blizzard had opportunities leading up to this point to ensure that appropriate punishment was dealt (assuming they are correct that he was cheating) without allowing all this extra hoopla. Their failure to do so effectively ensured it would ensue. Is the dude making things for himself by sticking around and complaining? Sure, but if he wasn’t cheating then it’s completely understandable that he does. Furthermore, that doesn’t mean the death threats/harassment suddenly become deserved, nor that we should just excuse Blizzard for enabling extreme responses–because let’s be completely clear, death threats and persistent harassment over a game are extreme.

Which returns me to my shock that anybody would even attempt to justify death threats against someone cheating… in a video game

Refer to the above. Outlines and standards are created for a reason. Failure to reasonably apply these is entirely worthy of criticism, especially when that failure leads to serious consequences such as those being discussed here.

Please don’t be disingenuous. There’s a distinct difference between saying, “Blizzard should’ve upheld their policies that they laid out on a thread on which they were already active,” and “Blizzard should comb the forums to find every single post that violates CoC.”

Jeff actively made decisions and failed to make decisions that allowed the situation to ferment. His negligence, or perhaps even outright maliciousness though I think that’s likely a stretch, directly allowed a situation to snowball beyond what it ever should’ve become. Yes, we as a community should absolutely scrutinize those decisions, particularly given that there are guidelines and precedent laid out for how to handle these situations that other moderators have no issue enforcing when they come across similar issues, which have happened in the past and didn’t result in these situations. Why? Maybe this is a stretch, but perhaps it’s because they took the correct course of action from the start. Folks didn’t need to engage in death-threat apologism because none were ever made because people were satisfied with how the situation had been handled. That you and others are engaging in it here is frankly disgusting.

Entirely your own fault.

And the worst part is you’ve obviously learned nothing from it as you still won’t own up to very obvious cheating.

1 Like

I recommend not further engaging with him, since imo he’s over-apologetic and unconditionally forgiving above our average forum users, which might or might not be a bad thing in general, but it feels like it is in this case.

He might be right on a pure logical aspect, but his “logical doubt” of the conviction and his pure belief of established punishment being enough on its own is a big contradiction. Not sure how u can convince a self-contradicting person, in this case.

Actions have consequences. That’s all I’ve said from the start. The OP continues to ignore the consequences of his actions. He continues to stir up the hornet’s nest and complain about getting stung.

Calling it negligence is a massive stretch on its own. Customer support told the OP that they would be upholding the ban, yet the OP made a thread protesting his innocence. The developer told the OP that they would be upholding the ban, then locked the thread. The player was cast out of the community and told to never return.

That would have been the end of it, if not for the player’s repeated attempts to return, continuing to protest his innocence.

Would it be nice if people didn’t get stung when they stick their hands into a hornet’s nest? Sure. Does that mean Blizzard is responsible for a man who gets stung by hornets that also happen to play Blizzard games? No.

2 Likes

You were dumb enough to cheat, then you were dumb enough to announce it on the forums, then you were dumb enough to deny it.

If you want any sort of retribution in the community, own up to what you did.

1 Like

Death threats are unacceptable. Period. There is no wiggle room for this. Honestly instead of posting on the forum, the OP should probably involve the police as death threats are not protected speech, nor should they be.

Now obviously the OP should be banned from OW from cheating, and if not cheating the SR manipulation is also grounds for banning, but that is the end of it. Taking it to the level of threatening physical injury or death to another person is unacceptable. Period.

1 Like

And instead of going to the police, or anyone who would actually help, he’s searching for sympathy in a place where he will find none.

Death threats are unacceptable, but he’s not taking steps to resolve his issue. This thread serves no purpose other than to embolden the death threats further.

My dude. You literally exposed yourself.

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t blame Jeff at all. The OP got an email that explicitly stated that his ban won’t be overturned. That should’ve been the end of it. Instead, the OP decides to make a thread; blatantly lying about his ban and ends up leaking personal information in the process. If anything, Jeff was essentially repeating what the email had already said.

1 Like

Theres an old saying. A man can build a thousand bridges and f one goat, at the end of the day they wont be known as the man that built a thousand bridges, they’ll be known as a goatf’er lmao. (Obviously not the original saying, changing it because someones gonna get butthurt) But you shouldn’t have cheated, I know the temptation is there but if you do it and especially if you get caught, it doesn’t matter how long its been or how well you do legitimately, you’ll always be known as that person who cheated. Do I agree with the death threats? No, thats a bit far, but you do deserve to have the title cheater stamped on your head for a while.

I am hoping that I was not the first person to say go to the police. Its possible, that he does not know what do about said issues, so saying go to the police is sound advice. If he did not know and now he does then this thread served a purpose. If the purpose was to elicit emotion, it did illicit disappointment in my fellow gamers.

I do like the OP, I do not respect the OP, and he has no business being in the OW community, but I do not wish physical harm upon him, and its just annoying to hear that there are people who somehow think that is okay. I HATE cheaters more than anyone I know (they killed my favorite game ever, Halo 2), but I am a person before I am a gamer.

Why would they care about one person who cheats? Were you a high profile player?

People cheat all the time, yet I would not waste my time shaming them.

To which I refer to the comment I made to MightyPandah:

Yes, actions have consequences. While this dude absolutely did make decisions that led to the current situation, so did Blizzard. The difference here is that while this dude’s actions are realistically only affecting himself, Blizzard’s actions aren’t affecting themselves–they’re affecting him. I think it’s dismissive to just say, “you reap what you sow” while ignoring that there was another hand plowing that field, and, yes, does border on apologism for the death threats people are making.

It really isn’t a stretch tho. Customer support said they wouldn’t overturn a closure and may not respond to appeals, which A) leaves the door open for an appeal (which… the OP claims to have submitted) and B) flies in the face of what some people have experienced before in being able to get account closures repealed.

Moreover, you’re correct that Jeff told him that they detected cheats (and thus would be upholding the ban), but he didn’t lock the thread despite it being fairly standard procedure (there was at least a 2 hour gap, and, yes, other mods have had zero problem locking such threads in the past–honestly, I’d say it’s more unusual that such a thread stays open) and decided to throw in a little shade for good measure. That’s absolutely negligence of Blizzard’s own policies. Oh, and he left a picture with personal information up :man_shrugging: I suppose you could argue against negligence on the basis that Jeff didn’t actually look at the image, but I think that’s a hard sell considering the link was right there in the OP.

Jeff taking the appropriate action of removing the image, locking the thread, and banning the dude from the forums would’ve been the end of it. You understand that the entire reason that this dude has come back to post this thread is because he’s receiving harassment/death threats directly as a consequence of Jeff’s negligence when it came to standard CoC enforcement, right? Again, this is swinging dangerously close to death-threat apologism.

It does when they’re also slapping it while his hand is in the nest :man_shrugging:

Well, this I can agree with. Posting on the Overwatch forums isn’t going to help him, but it’s also really not a reason to start arguing that this dude deserves the death threats or to try to exempt Jeff from criticism for mishandling a pretty cut-and-dry disciplinary action.

and, also, like Devils said, it could just be that this guy doesn’t know to go to the police. We don’t know anything about him. He could be a 12 year old kid :man_shrugging: I know when I was a 14 year old and was getting bullied, my first thought definitely wasn’t to tell my parents or teachers or police. It was to talk to my friends and people I knew online. Heck, I’m over a decade older now and it’s still my first thought.

Exactly. Folks need to pull the obsession off gaming for a moment and recognize that the situation has ballooned beyond just Overwatch.

Again, nowhere in the CoC does it say that the devs are obligated to do what you describe. There’s no law that would say Blizzard was negligent here. The rules you accuse Blizzard of breaking are entirely imaginary.

Well, if you want to know what could drive a person to send death threats:

Your favorite hobby is fishing. Your favorite place to fish is at a lake owned and protected by the government.

But every time you go fishing, someone interrupts you so you can no longer fish in peace. You tell them to stop, but they refuse and simply mock you in response. You contact the local ranger in charge of the lake and tell them to remove this person from the premises. The ranger obliges, but this person keeps finding a way to sneak back in. You call the police and ask them to penalize this person, and he is fined, but he keeps finding a way back in. You try every possible method to keep this person from disturbing your fishing, but he keeps finding a way back in.

You’ve reached the end of your rope. You’ve tried every reasonable response, and they’ve all failed. As a last resort, you threaten this person with violence to make them stop.

That’s the mentality that drives people to such acts. And perhaps the saddest part is, even threats of violence usually aren’t enough to deter cheaters. Most simply laugh it off.

It was because Jeff called them out a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes