Hanzo's Storm Arrows are INSANE

the pros, sure. but they’re less than a percent of the playerbase. dva is rewarded for playing aggressively, you’re lucky if she uses dm to help other characters.

Totally agree with you dude. I mean, a poster child example was Sombra. Taken out of the closet for a dew days to be shoved back in there when she was starting shine.
It was not enough for her to get her Hack reach nerfed back to useless because she had a bit of a reach closer to Symmetra’s beam but also got punched right in the throat with a that nasty 2 second penalty if interrupted while casting!
It was already enough punishment to not be able to hack an S76 or a Tracer raining bullets on you, no, they had to add insult to injury.

Now where is she? I have seen her once in team Deathmatch, maybe once in Total Mayhem…that’s it!

You’re going about it the wrong way.

80 to 70 is too much. A fully-charged shot deals 125 damage. One shot + Storm Arrow = 195. Being able to score a hit on a small target and quickly finish them off with Storm Bow is a powerful part of his kit and needs to stay. After all, his problem is that he can melt tanks too quickly.

An alternate nerf would be to nerf damage to 75 and either remove an arrow or remove critical strikes from Storm Bow. Or all of the above. Nerfing Storm Arrow damage to 70 will drastically reduce his effectiveness against small targets.

2 Likes

Slightly different story.

Hanzo has ways to deal damage and non-clunky ways to escape.

Sombra has clunky abilities and a gun she has to reload/can’t spam in a general direction to deal potentially high damage.

1 Like

I was wrong -_- i thought they would take things slower wait for brig to see how the nerfs impact the meta but now dive might just be coming back. =(

In addition to these nerfs, please consider changing Hanzo’s main fire damage to 130 (+5) for the following reasons:

1. mainfire + 1 storm arrow will still kill 200hp heroes. This moves power from storm arrows and nerfs many matchups without completely butchering them by putting his two-shot on a cooldown which adds a bit of nuance and limitation. The Tracer matchup will still be affected exactly how you intended, and boosted/nano’d Hanzo will have the exact same post-nerf breakpoints. Mainly this is for pharah, as it is hard to headshot her since you are usually looking at her feet. With the nerf she will take three bodyshots to kill which pretty much disqualifies hanzo from being able to combat pharah-mercy. The current Hanzo vs Pharah matchup is in a good place and it feels great not being forced to auto-swap once she hits the field, so keeping the dynamics intact would be ideal. The genji matchup is still very difficult for hanzo and without this change it will regress back into headshot-or-die territory, along with a few others such as doomfist.

Currently there are a lot of heroes running around with a smidgen of armor leftover from brigittes ult, so landing a headshot on what looks like a 250 HP target often does not reward a kill and they survive with 1-5 hp. 260 damage headshots would fix this and does not alter interactions with anyone else, shield generator, or torb/brig’s single target armor.

I think this change is necessary to maintain some of the better interplay with heroes that has come from the patch and is a fairly balanced approach to reducing his power. Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

“D.Va pilot.” Finally something else to call her other than Baby D.Va! :grin:

1 Like

Oh wow… so you need to be able to have good accuracy to make the ability effective? Will people whine about literally anything these days?

6 Likes

She’s literally always been called this officially… pay more attention.

And return to old, no skill combo McCree? No thanks… I would rather he actually have to aim when dealing with non-tanks.

Thank you for not going crazy with the nerfs and taking a more cautious approach instead of just immediately relegating him back to uselessness.

2 Likes

Or keeping it at 70 but making his normal shots 130

It would actually put rein and winston in 2 headshot territory, which is the only thing I’m concerned about

Otherwise I think 130 is fair

You know what isn’t insane? How much you can save with GEICO car insurance.

2 Likes

how about instead of 6 shots give him 3 he shouldn’t be a tank buster.

1 Like

That would…work quite nicely too. It would also mean that he can one-shot Brigitte with a headshot again, since as she stands now, she survives a Hanzo headshot with 5 health.

1 Like

Storm arrow turns you into zen for a few seconds then it’s over

Simple way to look at it and he should be fine with a nerf and you’re all going to have to aim at the head

He should still be in a good place

1 Like

The only thing that made Hanzo semi viable before was scatter which was too random.

Hanzo is meant to fulfill a defensive role, and his primary fire isn’t sufficient in itself to do that, even with scatter he couldn’t really ‘zone’ people.

So whatever his secondary fire ability was, it would need to allow him to fulfill his role ‘zoning/area denial’.

With too high a cooldown, he becomes too random and more often than not may not have the ability available when a push comes through.

With that in mind, and trying to avoid destroying the hero concept by giving him an aoe or equivalent with his primary fire he needs to lean on his secondary.

I think the current rework was a success, just needed a little tweaking.

70 damage is still considerable and yet gives everyone that slightly higher chance of survival, almost equates to 1 less arrow from before at the same time as reducing the rate he gets his ult.

I’m really interested to see how it plays out myself.

But Brigitte will still be able to low-skill combo a tracer? Not that I don’t think these are good changes but Hanzo is not the most frustrating thing about this game right now.

I called it though.

I wouldn’t be surprised if hanzo or mei get nerfed before brigitte.

Hanzo is meant to fulfill a defensive role

Anytime I hear anyone talking about DPS like they’re meant for either attack or defense because of blizzards categories I just instantly stop reading and dismiss everything they say.