Handicapping in comp

I truly believe that performance based SR should be removed below diamond just like it was removed above diamond and here are my reasons

it was fine for lower ranks back when overwatch competitive was a free for all before 2 2 2

Now it feels like it is handicapping your SR gains. I believe the goal of comp should be to win your games instead of chasing gold medals.

having a high winrate means nothing at the moment unless you are straight up carrying every single game which doesn’t happen and here is why

You end up having to switch to whatever your team needs vs the heroes you are best at which means even winning you gain 4 to 5 SR

losing still causes more SR loss than you gain if you win say if you win 4 games out of 5 you end up with less than you started.

Spending thirty + minutes struggling in a stressful 2cp match against a hardcore cheeze comp and winning but gaining only 5 SR because you switched to something that would help the team win with despite them not being anywhere near your best 3 heroes which would gain you a bit more SR since you know their ins and outs makes the whole experience even more stressful. and here is why

you stress even more and get tilted even more when you lose since you know that your wins due to being a team player that actually switches will cause your loss to always take away 15 sometimes 20 SR compared to the win gaining you about 5.

performance based SR causes huge one trick problems where people refuse to switch when they are being hardcore countered.

It feels like the Performanced Based SR in 2 2 2 is handicapping high winrate people (people that average like 65 percent winrates) to be forever stuck in lower ranks. I know some of you will say “its where you belong” and my response to that is that isn’t always true. And there is no way of knowing if you purposely have a handicap system in place. If you say something like “well if you climbed you would just fall back down to where you are now” Then just let me. Don’t handicap me so that you and I cant even find out.

and lastly I once clawed my way out of bronze and up to mid gold before all the insane buffs to heroes that didn’t need them caused me to plummet back down.

Anyway lets keep the conversation civil

8 Likes

You are right… I hate to play comp cause its no longe a team game in bronze, its a do whatever you can.
The fact that you cannot switch makes it horrible, and the complete lack of organization makes it impossible to climb. Plus Bastion, that hero is broken down there, cause no one can counter it effectively, and if you’re playing a tank hahahahahaha GL!

1 Like

seeing how we aren’t one of blizzards posterchild streamers that get free stuff sent to them or pro level none of our concerns will ever matter. They think they know whats best for us but they are completely out of touch.

They always end up overbuffing some hero that doesn’t need a buff just to get them strong in league level but what happens is they realize that they overtuned the hero but still leave them brokenly strong in the game for a long time before they finally fix the issue but by that point most of us have lost so many games to said broken heroes that the damage is already done to our SR on top of the handicapping we deal with.

3 Likes

It really sucks when I have to wonder if I should go main tank because the team needs it and likely lose anyway because I’m bad and then lose more sr than I would playing a hero I’m comfortable on. It’s a no win scenario which is why I q with my Rein main friend.

2 Likes

medals arent what determine your SR gain in performance based SR

yes it is 0_0 LOL if you are playing dps you better have gold elims and damage or the system will think you are doing poorly. But it doesn’t take into consideration certain heroes that don’t quite fit their role. Like zen, sombra. Zen is a support that does more damage than healing and sombra is a damage hero that does less damage and more supporting. Its weird lol

nope. I can get on an alt account playing soldier and get all bronze medals and still get 100 SR per game based on

accuracy %
deaths per 10
elims per 10
final blows per 10
etc

2 Likes

dude you are a liar if you expect me to believe you average 100 sr per game. Are you sure you aren’t better than top 500 players with that 100 sr per game? LOL I watch lots of high level streamers and no they don’t get 100 sr per game. 30 maybe. I used to average 30 but 100 SR with no elims or damage and only accuracy? Don’t lie haha

3 Likes

im a masters-GM player, so yeah, below platinum i can pretty easily be gaining 100 SR per game

so you are a GM player…talking about how you can get that in low levels…no crap if you are a GM you can do that. YOu better be able to do that as a GM player.

Also I don’t even believe that since your profile is private

Performance isn’t just medals but it is a good way for individual players to measure their own performance.

Your stats may not meet the performance norms. But that’s why you aren’t in plat. Your performance already is outside the norm.

As for op

Agreed. I’m pretty sad that in the year of wtf2020 I’m still telling lower ranks to ditch their teams at trouble and prioritize themselves to climb.

Just pistol mercy. Heals are worthless, build those stats

low ranks generally fail to coordinate their ultimates, and even high ranks fail to coordinate abilities. Performance based SR is actually helpful for lower ELO players as it makes getting held back by teammates less of an issue

if you perform well and still lose, you lose less SR, if you perform poorly and still win, you gain less SR, if you perform well and win, you gain more SR.

Simple and effective way to make sure that players getting carried dont climb, and players carrying do

2 Likes

no its not helpful whatsoever overwatch is about switching to counter. Which means less SR per win. You only get more SR on your best hero but you cant just 1 trick you have to flex if you want to win when countered which means like 5 SR. And seriously dude you have a bronze border, private profile, claiming to be a GM player that averages 100 SR per game. So many bold statements

While I agree that it limits holding back by performance of team, I think it makes the game perception different as the skill needed for each rank will vary instead of being a cohesive build of gameplay.

A lot of skills in bronze, stay in bronze. Which is why plenty of GM’s get stuck around play diamond- ie: where most of one skill climbs will require new skills.

Like, If you got to diamond on game sense …for most people it’s time to build mechanics they never needed. If it was mechanics, they are suddenly needing game sense.

And if you’re used to everyone knowing this as a master’s + … The wild wild west of plat to early diamond is often jarring. And I think it’s a disconnect not needed in 222…

Or at least one that can be lessened

it really isnt.

im a 1 trick lmao

masters player, I play scrims in GM and am 4.1k in open queue, so i just hyphenate and put both

if you make it a flat 20-30 SR like it is above plat, there will be so many more boosted players in plat and above. It would do more harm than good

and that is exactly how I know you are lying. I don’t understand why you are lying. No one is buying it.

And yes overwatch literally is a game about switching heroes on the fly. Otherwise the option wouldn’t be there. If they have heroes flying around the map you switch to a hitscan. The game is about adaption and switching

I don’t think so. Not in an environment without Sr decay. Tbh, it might motivate people to leave who aren’t serious.

what am i lying about and what is there to gain from lying?

switching heroes on the fly causes you to lose ult charge. Overwatch is a game of ultimate economy and using those ultimates and turning them into win conditions.

yes, you sometimes have to switch, but in my personal opinion its better to just get good enough at a hero that you can deal with issues like that on the hero you’re best at.

you are literally oversimplifying what I am saying. I am not saying switching when you are 80 something percent ult charge. I am saying they have pharah flying around the map you would need to switch to a hitscan. The game is about adapting to what your enemies have. You cant sit around with a sym and a junkrat against a pharamercy you have to switch to a hitscan which is what my example was

:cold_face: I could maybe see it kicking in mid plat but anything lower than that and it’s on you and you should be able to get out. I had one account dip below plat and sit in gold and silver for about two weeks then i got right back into plat with that one… it just takes practice, getting better over time, not blaming every loss on other people because i’m sorry even top 500’s i know personally mess up and if you say you don’t you’re being blind.

go play open que and be that switcher then.