Guess that was the reason Jeff Kaplan left

Never accept the world as it appears to be. always dare to see it for what it could be. i hope you do the same.

Jeff Kaplan

I bet Jeff did not want to give up on his PvE vision and had to go because of that.

14 Likes

I feel bad for Jeff being the main focus of the players’ ire for so long before he quit. He very likely saw where this was going, and decided he wanted no part in it. I’m happy that he jumped ship while he could.

7 Likes

Can jeff just make his own game call it “uplook”

3 Likes

IMO, Jeff probably left for a multitude of reasons.

The whole controversy surrounding the conduct at Blizzard with female workers was about to really hit the fan, OW2 was being rushed, OW2 was being forced in general, etc.

2 Likes

You’re glad he set the ship pointing at some rocks, and jumped out before the collision?

5 Likes

Jeff has always been the type of guy to make sure a product is right, especially if you’ve seen his everquest rants. Doesn’t surprise me he’d leave when the higher ups began making stupid choices.

I’d imagine he left because of the allegations boiling over, alongside the fact that Blizzard is clearly more corporate than an actual game company now

2 Likes

You think he was the one steering the ship???

He may have been the game’s director, but he still answers to the final word and decision that the execs running the company makes. How do you not know this?

2 Likes

It’s a similar way to how a ship’s captain is to blame for crashing a ship even if he doesn’t actually own the ship.

2 Likes

uhhhhh say what now?

1 Like

Having a boss does not make you absolved of blame?

1 Like

The blame for what? What decisions has he made specifically that chartered OW down the coarse that it’s currently heading?

3 Likes

He directed the game to the point at which it crumbled, so all the decisions that fall within the purview of a director to that end.

1 Like

OK, but what decisions specifically? Which ones was a result of him doing what he thought was for the good of the game and the other simply following the order that he was given by the higher ups?

Because for all you know, he was trying to mitigate all the scummy things that the execs wanted to cram into this game, so how could you definitively say he was responsible for pointing the ship toward the rocks?

2 Likes

We’ll never know beyond the fact that he pointed the ship and drove towards rocks.

Whether or not the company told him to point the ship at rocks is a different matter, but it doesn’t really change the case.

1 Like

Again, what basis do you have for that claim?

2 Likes

He was the director during the time in which the game followed a path to its own destruction?

OK, but do you know that he was the one making those decisions or following executive orders?

2 Likes

I wonder if he would still like to be involved in WoW and what he thinks about dragonflight.

1 Like

As I said a couple posts ago:

We’ll never know beyond the fact that he pointed the ship and drove towards rocks.

Whether or not the company told him to point the ship at rocks is a different matter, but it doesn’t really change the case.

So, basically, “I refuse to admit that my statement is a broad stroke to sh*t on someone else based on nothing but the fact the he held a position between now and then.”

2 Likes