Give Your Mercy Thoughts and Ideas

A good Mercy doesn’t just hide all game, they actively force enemy aggro and fire onto them while staying alive with good movement mechanics and positioning. THAT is one of the few ways Mercy can carry, and this change would just gut that playstyle entirely and force you to pocket bot a DPS in the backline even more heavily.

zzz no thanks I’m fine with her current GA changes that just went live over an HP nerf any day

2 Likes

Somewhere in the middle of before S3 and after was Mercy fun to play!

Personally I found the triage healing impactful more than Rez. So my idea for S5 rework is as follow:

Move Rez to Valkyrie and give her two charges either to use one at a time or both if targets are close enough. And give her compassion healing or what it was called to…

Outside of Valkyrie give her triage healing instead of Rez as an ability… Last 5 s and have a cooldown of 10…

And her GA should be prior s3…

1 Like

I appreciate these critiques because I also want comments on why something wouldn’t work as well as fresh ideas or what would be most healthy.

If they wanna keep the god dang Sympathetic Recovery Passive I suggest an all around number reduction for the sake of keeping a relatively fluid GA cooldown.

Caduceus Staff

• damage amplification reduced from 30% to 20%
  • healing per second decreased from 55 to 50
  • allies under half health receive 20% increased healing again

Guardian Angel

• cooldown increased to 2s
  • Guardian Angel can be cancelled manually again to start the cooldown sooner

Valkyrie

• now disables Sympathetic Recovery during its duration
  • Allies under half health don’t receive increased healing, keeping the healing at constant 60hp/s

This way she gets back her fluid GA cooldown, makes pockets a bit less frustrating to face and prevents Valkyrie from making her allies Immortal.
All improvements from season 3.

2 Likes

Personally? My patch of least resistance changes:

50 HPS base heal
62 HPS crit heal (25% increase under half health)

GA = 1.5 second CD
GA + Slingshot = 2 second CD

Valkyrie duration lowered from 15 to 12 seconds, gains the 25% crit heals boost
Constant Regen 20 HPS in Valkyrie, no Sympathetic Recovery in Valkyrie

My actual changes I’d do?

Beams

• HPS lowered to 50 HPS
  • Now has a resource meter for her staff. Holding down the R button temporarily increases your healing output to 65 HPS. Has around 5 seconds of resource. Resource recharges slowly over time.
  • Damage boosting recharges the resource faster

E Ability

• Rez removed from E
  • New E ability - Single Target Burst Heal + Cleanse, 12 sec CD

Valkyrie

• Duration reduced to 12 seconds
  • Instantly fills up resource meter fully
  • Resource meter healing increases Valk heals from 60 HPS to 75 HPS
  • E ability turns back into Rez. One charge, 1.5 sec cast time.

GA

• Reverted to end of OW1 GA
  • Crouch-to-Superjump on a separate 2.5 second CD to prevent perma-flight

Regen Passive

• Back to 20 HPS after 1 second of no damage, no more sympathetic recovery
1 Like

This is a reasonable argument, but you also need to take into consideration that Mercy’s damage boost assists AND elims combined still don’t equal the same amount of elims as the next lowest elim support (Ana) either.

So her boost does not provide damage or elims as effectively as the next worst support providing damage and elims, let alone everybody else. At most, it can just make people back off, as you said, but it isn’t doing much of anything else that other supports aren’t already doing better than her and applying even more pressure alone than Mercy and her beam target combined.

1 Like

I’d say this is more for the argument of when a DPS has an unhealthy interaction with her Damage Boost to help them with getting elims, and this can be seen when she connects with certain heroes like Pharah, Ashe, and I guess the most recent being Soujorn.

I’ve heard both sides, that Mercy is the check marker to figure out if a DPS is in a healthy spot and the opposition saying Damage Boost gets in the way of tuning heroes because of the interaction. (A similar thought with Zen orb as well and what that especially does to tanks.)

Personally, I just want as much input from the community and just their overall thoughts because the community criticism on what Mercy has to be tweaked with or if she ever needed to be tweaked at all is kind of all over the place.

1 Like

Hmm, came in expecting more of the typical, but there are some really fair and well thought out points in here. Both in Mercy not feeling like she has much regen/sustain without the lifeleech or mobility pocket, as well as how low ranks seem more disappointedly well… Affected by mobility on hypermobile targets, vs the higher ranks mercy’s viability being somewhat linked to pockets.

It does seem like a interesting idea to perhaps play with trying out the iterations, of bringing back gameplay people seem to enjoy, but at a drawback such as more mobile, more vulnerable mercy with better regen.

She does definitely seem to express more movement vs aim and timing expression than most, and yeah the points of mercy’s 30% dmg boost holding back certain heros like Ash and pharah/sojourn from being as easy to tune without her hitting 1 shot points is certainly very fair.

1 Like

Genuinely, I am happy at collective responses of really well thought out points and criticisms. I figured this would be a pretty good way into looking way more into the balance, purpose, and ideas on Mercy in positive and negative lights when considering her recent changes and concerns.

(The above is a really good thread and this particular post I thought would be nice in here.)

This particular post isn’t here, but was also interesting to look at when talking about one of the points someone brought up: Damage Boost.

I am hoping reception will leave a positive result. At the very least, more open conversation in a detailed manner on where we go from here. Lots of negativity, bad faith arguments, and just troll posting litters the Mercy discussions and I’d really just like to brush those aside and get some good feedback instead.

1 Like

not allowing most heroes to do more than 150 dmg/headshot isn’t unreasonable, and I can’t believe the devs don’t have that particular number in their minds during hero balance. 30% of 150 is 195 and doesn’t 1shot squishies. As someone in this thread already pointed out, 1k damage boosted is more valuable than bap dealing 5k flat damage because the power of dmg boost is in adjusting breakpoints. In other words, the strength of pushing Ashe’s headshot to just shy of 200 is intentionally where Mercy derives her power from. Dmg boosted Rein kills squishies in 2 hits instead of 3, now Cassidy’s nade + body shot combo needs boost, and Ashe is almost certainly going to kill a squishy with a boosted headshot if they’re shot while burning from boosted dynamite.
I don’t believe the balance team isn’t aware that 150dmg is the limit going into balance changes, and since when do we care about the balance team anyway, lol.
Mercy’s identity as a supportive influence is one of the strongest in the game because all of her kit is centered around enabling others with boost and rez, and unless she’s given something else to do as a ‘default state’ for the duration of the game that’s not boosting, messing with it is going to have a huge impact on her effectiveness.
I have some sympathy for the complexity of the issue, and without access to the numbers, I can only assume Mercy is actually way stronger and more prevalent than the community seems to think, but it’s just incredibly disheartening to see one of the only really fun movement based characters be relentlessly nerfed in the one spot it hurts the most.

1 Like