Give symetra a portal gun

portalgun may be too close to Valves Intellectual Property. They probably wouldnt do that because of the even remote chance of litigation.

give it a smaller range than choke->point, make it only on walls, and make it last less than 3s, and i’m up for it. normal tele is boring. let me watch my teammates run into a wall because they were too late, let my enemy complain that doom punching through it is op. Heck, let projectiles go through it. Just add a building time so people dont complain about the insta deaths.

It would be nice to have a portal gun, but O dont think its coming any time soon?

Speed in overwatch is VERY tame and the worst that can come out of it is maybe a Ball, a Bob, A charging rein, or a D.va bomb.

Even then not even ball is going to be ablw to touch the skybox.

There's a second opinion for you.

sounds cool, very unrealistic.
If you look at how valve rebuilt their game engine to support the implementations of a portal gun, you would realize that it would take an entire development team, and a full rebuild of the game engine to support this.

1 Like

Portal’s geometry had to be uniquely crafted to allow the Portal Gun’s momentum and placement qualities to be executed to their fullest.

In order to achieve the same effect in Overwatch, a full rework would be needed for each map due to the unique curves and geometry making it functionally useless on some maps.

1 Like

you can do this with buildables already including torbs turret idk about her main fire

Athena now coldly makes fun of Symmetra’s weight, and her lack of parents.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for all the trolls that put teleports on floor and ceiling so you keep falling forever.

1 Like

Problem is all supports must heal, especially since the 2-2-2 was added.

1 Like

I’d say all supports must raise effective hp, but I think a really really powerful bit of team utility with no healing could come with no healing

I think I saw a workshop on this a long while ago so its certainly possible (albeit buggy and it would require some additional restrictions for balance). I can imagine her being a support or a dps with this, with maybe her secondary fire replacing it. They could also give her a different E

• As a DPS, her portals could only be used by her, and she could function like a flanker kinda like pre-infinite TP. Her E could also be replaced with another damage or self-sustain tool. You could also just replace her E with the portals and keep secondary fire but I think another construction could be fun.

• As a support, her portals could be used by her whole team and that would be the big feature with her, kind of like how she’s used in OWL now but in the support slot instead of DPS. Her E could be replaced with a shielding, off-healing, cleansing, or other supportive ability.

We do what we must,
Because we can.

For the good of all of us,
Except the ones who are dead.

But there’s no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

And the science gets done,
And we make a neat gun,
For the people who are still alive.

1 Like

I mean this is just kind of an unspoken rule to make Blizzard’s job with making supports easier. There isn’t any law that says “A support must heal” in the game. The reality is that implementing a non-healing support would be difficult and they would only work with a main healing support on their team. But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

And before you say “Well they tried making a utility support with Symmetra 1.0 and 2.0,” call this a hot take but I just think that they were lacking in utility for a non-healing kit.

• No utility in primary fire, which is acceptable
  • Secondary fire is damage with no utility. You can argue it goes through shields and enemies so it forces enemies to reposition, but you move less than a meter to the side and any threat is gone
  • Turrets were often used all together to stack their damage rather than spread out to provide more slows and control vision
  • Photon Shield and Photon Barrier were much better examples of support abilities, as they focused purely on utility and did not provide damage themselves
  • Teleporter and Shield Gen also provided great utility as ultimates, and I’d argue with a little fixing up they could easily compete with other support ultimates

I think some changes to Symmetra 2.0 could certainly have her work as a true support. Maybe buff her turret’s to give wallhacks to Symmetra only (like Widow mine) and also reduce the damage of turrets when multiple instances of them are on the same target to de-incentivize stacking them and incentivize spacing them around. Allow her to throw them as well because that’s a nice QOL that should stay. You could also give her a completely different secondary fire. Or along the lines of this post: She has her portals for secondary fire and keeps her photon barrier or shield. But instead she instead went completely unchanged for a year after they reworked her :roll_eyes:

Its well know as its praised for surprise D.va bombs.

But imagine if you can Orb Spam through to harass the enemy in an unexpected Angle while not having to put yourself in danger.

speed and momentum are very different concepts but I digress, the problem is not how fast characters are moving, in portal characters are particularly slow, however gravity pulls your character faster than your walking speed and that’s why you’re able to make crazy jumps, if momentum was maintained, then sym could put a portal on the ground, jump into it and come out of the other side able to reach high ground (basic strategy from the portal game) which honestly sounds great but it opens up the chance of infinite porting

naturally both of these issues would be resolved by having a cd on tping and/or having to press the interact key in order to tp, however I still would prefer if momentum wasn’t preserved, exactly because of WB

I more meant that there is a hard limit to how fast a character can go, and how fundamentlaly different the source engine and Overwatch’s engine are, I sincerely doubt the engine of Overwatch is that complex to enable shenanigans like building speed up then launching across the map.

There’s also the problem of WB’s piledriver and how it would either A, acticate at the portal area or B, put Ham into an infinite loop until an outaide force intervenes.

There's a second opinion for you.
1 Like

Well in my head, the portals should still be destroyable like it is now, but with further access. I don’t really want to be playing as a Puzzle piece in sym’s physics puzzle Platformer but give the ability to see and shoot through stuff, as well as redirect damage coming in, it could be a very fun element.

Oh god, GlaDOS is free

just cause they used the word portal gun doesnt mean everything has to match how the portal games work