Getting really tired of being penalized for people leaving mid match

honestly… that wouldnt be a bad thing… really anything is better than what they have now
like, hey, you are backfill but if you lose no sr loss on your part

Had 3 games in a row where someone left the game. I know sometimes it can be disconnect but this would be a recurring theme for every loss I took in the session. I find it odd this startee happening after i complained to Blizzard about randomly getting booted from games without and dropping my sr. This is mess

Here’s what should happen:

Right Now, if a player leaves after a certain amount of time, the team with the leaver has the warning “IF YOU EXIT THE MATCH IN THE NEXT ~:~~, YOU WILL RECEIVE A LOSS AND BE PENALIZED FOR LEAVING EARLY”

Okay, that’s kinda fair, right? There may still be a chance to win the game with one less person, and it doesn’t want to encourage the whole team to leave.

But, when the timer on the warning reaches 0:00, it reads the same as before but removes the penalized part and just says “YOU WILL RECEIVE A LOSS”

THAT’S THE PROBLEM!

Players, dealing with a leaver, should be able to feel the game out for a couple of minutes to see if they can still win with the cards dealt. If, that said match, is suffering greatly to the point of no return, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO LEAVE THE MATCH WITHOUT A PENALTY OR A LOSS.

Yes, people can abuse the system, yadda yadda yadda, but the team with the leaver already had a disadvantage in a competitive mode and should have the right to leave with no punishment.

The first leaver? Yes, same punishments now, if not more severe at times. But the players suffering the consequences and risking their SR and sanity, should be able to call a “dead match” quits.

I also really liked the system the user “Mooshi” thought of here and should be applied as well:

I always felt that if a team has a leaver in comp, they should get zero SR loss for sticking around. There is nothing “skill rating” about having a man disadvantage. QP has the extra exp for backfill, comp needs something to reward players who stayed.
The team who wins with an unfair player advantage should have a percentage of SR gains cut by the number of players who left. Example: If that round would have resulted in 25SR, a single leaver cuts that to 21SR instead ( 6 players divided individually is 16.65. 16.65 percent off 25 is 4.16 for those wondering where the figure came from). Likewise, if a team won with a disadvantage, + 16.65% extra SR per leaver.

I’m sorry I know this is an old discussion, but that makes matters even more frustrating that there haven’t been any changes to the system this far along. This is something that drives me insane in a game I am so passionate about.

Hopefully, Overwatch 2 will have new and revised plans for a modern competitive system that won’t make the players feel the need to discuss this on the forums in the first place.

Thoughts?

Would you prefer backfill?

It sounds like you think this is just a minor inconvenience. It is literally a gamemode breaking issue. A few years ago there was a similar bug in R6S and it destroyed the entire competitive gamemode. In around top 5% about 95% of games this bug was used. What this did is ranks didn’t mean anything anymore. Queueing in top ranks would result in matches with most of the lobby being mid to low rank people. Every single match was a stomp but it didn’t matter since you’d just use the bug and not lose elo.

I know it suck to lose rating because of leavers but it is a necessary evil. If you don’t leave games yourself, in the long run you will gain sr from leavers.

Gonna be very blunt with this but you lost and that’s it. Maybe you didn’t deserve it and were just unlucky, it happens. It’s a competitive gamemode and luck is a part of it but guess what isn’t? Participation trophies.

Because players cry when the backfill turns tide and wins the match. They don’t want a fair match, they want easy SR.

And that’s why I leave before the 10s rule. That way, it’s just me making MatchMaker happy with the L. That and I can only stand trying to work with potatos for so many matches in a row, b4 I decide to just help MM out and same my teammates some SR.