Get Hog out of the tank class

Its so boring losing games because people play a fat dps with no tanking capability.
As soon as the enemy speed a rein zarya in you just lose as the team cant hold a position.

Either force 1 main tank and 1 off tank or move hog to the dps and reduce his hp.

At least ball is designed to attract attention and create space. Hog is just go for hook, heal, hide for 8 seconds, repeat. Nothing in his kit is designed to hold the team and blizzard can keep buffing and nerfing him but the base design for a tank still sucks.

9 Likes

A good Hog takes more space than a garbage Rein/Zarya pair.

16 Likes

imo a Tankā€™s role should be protection first and foremost followed by claiming space. Instead, everyone is a DPS and the threat level is what really determines how much space a character can claim. So I can see why people would get things jumped up since Roadhog is really just a fatter and scarier Reaper.

When a Tank doesnā€™t do a Tank job better than it does a DPS job, then it just feels weird to keep them there. So thereā€™s a valid argument to move him. Or, yā€™know, make him damage-mitigate-y for his allies like youā€™d expect a Tank to be.

3 Likes

if you donā€™t understand why hog is a tank and how off tanks work
then stop complaining

yes he is the bare bones of a tank with the hp and tank abilities
but by no means is he a fat dps
so be quiet
learn why hes a tank
then we can talk about changes
if he neded them

12 Likes

Or we could change Rein so he isnā€™t mandatory.

1 Like

No, Hog is really big, he canā€™t be a dps. And do you really want less tanks? That is why dps queues are so bad.
About 1 main tank and 1 off tank, if you make that then the dps must be a hitscan and a projectile.
And the same for supports, letā€™s be fair :slightly_smiling_face:

You donā€™t like a Hog in your team? Well, who wants Genji and Doom or Zen and Lucio?
Letā€™s make role q even more weird with 6 roles :wink:

I meanā€¦ the rule that Tanks have to be fat and DPS/Supports small is not set in stone.
I personally would love to see a Symmetra Tank rework with all her hardlight tech.

But yes, there arenā€™t really enough Tanks to move one into the DPS roster and like already mentioned, Hogs kit is that of a Tank - not a DPS.

My controversial opinion is that below around 28-2900 that every person playing tank is just playing it as a fat DPS. After all, if you played tank as a tank you would swiftly hit Diamond, but people at lower ranks just play them as fat DPS who build ults and use the ults to win fights with no deep thought about how they use their abilities to create the engagement or how they position to maximize their value.

1 Like

They already tried 400HP hog with no damage reduction on take-a-breather and smaller hitbox and surprisingly it worked.

2 Likes

my support: pestered by genji

me: puts belly in between

genji: No WAIT.

1 Like

I think Roadhog fits as a Tank; maybe give him a passive that significantly reduces ultimate charge would make him perfect.

Additionally, it fits his character: a brutal mercenary who isnā€™t shy to use excessive violence to get what he wants. He was also hired by Junkrat to protect him and his treasure, so he should have the body suited for single protection (body blocking).

Also, with Activision wanting Tanks to be less tanky, but more inline with Bruisers (which I disagree with), I think weā€™re to expect more Tanks to be similar to Roadhog.

1 Like

The thing is, he is also not a good DPS. Hogā€™s damage is very inconsistent and slow. Without hook he has nothing.

Zarya fits more into the DPS category than Hog, but she is also a better tank too.

2 Likes

Itā€™s true thoughā€¦

And I donā€™t really even blame them for playing tanks like that.

Playing tanks as protectors died a slow, painful death in the last few years. Itā€™s kinda hard to protect your teammates when blizz insists on nerfing every defensive ability into the ground in hopes of pleasing popular streamers who screech like banshees whenever anything gets in their way.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to this? Never heard of this happening before

this exactly!!

also, this is how you play roadhog. Case closed. Love it.

2 Likes

they should make a bruiser category or something where you can either have 2 main tanks or 1 tank 1 bruiser idkā€¦

I am not saying to be a protector. You can be aggressive and still be a tank. Being a tank is about controlling the engage. The team engages off of you and you dictate the positioning. As a tank you have to be extra aware of the geography of the map and how to use it to your advantage because you are the front line. You are not a fat DPS. Your job is to create a favorable fight.

However, you also have abilities that can deny the enemy tanks/DPS the ability to be successful. Zarya can make a Doomfist have a terrible time. Ball can force Widow to either be on her team or have multiple people protecting her (thus creating a favorable engage). The thing about Plat players though is that they just use abilities and they just move in without generally having an overall plan and without an overall plan you cannot be a real tank.

My favorite saying in OW is: ā€œWhen you say ā€˜this works at my rankā€™, what you are really saying is ā€˜this is why I am that rankā€™ā€.

The thought process that tanks need to actively protect their team is exactly the wrong bronze level thinking holding back a lot of this game.

Tanks need to be door kicking, armored siege engines.

You know, TANKS.

1 Like

The ideal Tank in Overwatch would be something akin to the Heavy Assault in Archives (Expert+): durable, threatening, will obliterate you if youā€™re being careless. Every Tank should have some level of this.

1 Like

Im thinking closer to enforcer: harder to kill, wipes you at close range, your top priority to stop most of the time.

1 Like