Genji is low skill high reward

Surerly I can’t be the only one that sees this right? I often hear people from the “don’t nerf” camp, tout about how he’s somehow really high skill and that excuses his broken state. To which I counter-ask, WHAT exactly makes him high skill???

His right click doesn’t require any aim. His left click is only used to farm ult from tanks so not exactly much skill there either. His dash requires no aim, yet it’s still a guaranteed 50hp damage. His double jump and tiny model makes him really hard to hit or even stun, and lets not kid ourselves that spamming space requires any brains either. His reflect charges ridiculously fast, can actually TANK for his team considering how large its hitbox is (it even lasts as long as defense matrix does). I don’t see the skill in any of this.

Last but not least, the most broken one of all, his ult. Hands down best ult in the game. It’s one of the fastest charging in the game and can often result in a teamwipe. But guess what, it requires no aim either. And unlike other similar team wiping ults which all have drawbacks, genji’s has almost none (I’ll get to that in a second).

Soldier and mccree ults have a weakness against barriers and defense matrix (and ironically against genji’s reflect to some extent). Pharah is stationary. Reaper has to get really close and he can also be stunned. Junkrat can have his tire shot down. Mei, rein, zarya etc all need follow up from their team + they can have their ult eaten/blocked. And all of the above get countered by zen’s ult if he has it.

Which brings us back to genji. A no aim ult that can go through barriers, can’t get eaten by dva, can’t reliably get stunned/slept/outrunned, doesn’t need teamwork, and is incredibly hard to focus with all the double jumps and crazy cooldows. The only thing that counters it is zen ult, but that’s provided zen has it at the time and his team is close to him. Oh and if he has nano not even zen ult can stop him because he just one shots everyone. Great balance there. Really nice. Aside from pharah and winston nobody else can kill him reliably, and pharah is very weak in this meta where mercy is trash and every game has a dva. So that leaves winston. One (soft counter at best) hero out of 26. Sound legit.

But hey he takes “skill” right? Right??? Nope. It’s time to put that argument to rest already. As explained thoroughly above, he’s no different from other spam characters in terms of aim. And his movement/positional skill is very simplistic compared to tracer, sombra, winston, doomfist etc. And unlike most heroes in the game he doesn’t require much teamwork to have an impact. So what are we left with? An average/below average skill hero with with no real counterplay. The worst combination.

#NerfGenji

301 Likes

I used to play tanks.

Tank get nerfed constantly, I’m tired of it. Genji never get nerfed.

I’m now a Genji Main. Total of 2 hours since RELEASE on him…got a PotG last night. I’m now a Genji main.

113 Likes

Why does Genji merit a nerf over Tracer who blatantly outshines him at the same role?

62 Likes

He’s fine.

The only thing he needs are some hitbox adjustments, mostly for deflect, and a better deflect animation.

A reasonable “nerf” I guess would be to give deflect a sleep dart-like activation time that makes up for latency difference.

49 Likes

Swift strike is the part of his kit thats broken, fix THAT non-sense.

I call it my “free kill” button when I play Genji and use it for that. Oh, you’re low on life? Time for my FREE KILL!

32 Likes

You guys should really keep in mind that your own Genji stats are public for everyone to see and they are not very good for a hero as “easy” as Genji.

105 Likes

Super agree about the ult. I’ve heard people call it “the most skill dependant ult in the game” but everytime it’s used it usually ends up getting a couple of kills because it’s so heavily loaded: High damage with animation cancels, with high mobility and evasiveness. Like, Genji gets a speedboost while using it- like dash, double jump, wallclimb, and a higher mobility speed overall wasn’t enough?!

19 Likes

I just suck at DPS in general. But please tell me that character with 3 mobility tools, 2 seconds of “**** you”, free 50 damage ability that resets on scratch, 2 modes of fire that are both pretty easy to aim with, and generally one of best DPS ultimates in game takes more skill than somebody like McCree. Who has his hitscan gun, melee-range stun, and that’s basically it.

Edit: inb4 I forgot his free reload and dumbster-tier ult.

39 Likes

His ult isn’t the end all be all unless he pops it in the perfect situation. I’ve seen genji ults burned down way more often than the penta-kill potg version.

12 Likes

You do realize you can nerf both right?

9 Likes

No you are not. Many people who don’t play him or are bad at playing him find Genji to be one of the easiest heroes to master.

27 Likes

Past 2800 or so genji ult is a guaranteed 2k+, like 80% of the time. Even if he gets no kills it often STILL wins the teamfight because it lasts 6 seconds and the enemy team either has to run away from their good positions or they use valuable ults and abilities trying to counter it.

10 Likes

Nonsense, playing Gengu is harder than understanding advanced quantum mechanics physics.

24 Likes

Apples and oranges. A McCree mostly relies on raw aim. A Genji relies on knowledge of his abilities, timing, positioning a lot more than a McCree would. Unlike McCree you can easily pick up Genji and play him but mastering him is not easy.

17 Likes

My main account is only 2600 or so. Either way I’m more concerned with a silent junk rat tire than a genji blade unless the team is caught off guard/out of position. He’s vulnerable to stuns, mobility skills eating his time, and as long as your team can deny one kill on a squishy, the ult peters out quickly. Which is doable with more than a few skills that aren’t even ults.

6 Likes

Both are attack DPS. So no, it’s not “apples and oranges”. Different kinds of apples at best.

Yes, McCree relies on his aim. Genji relies on crutches. He doesn’t rely on aim - like, at all. He doesn’t rely on good positioning - Genji has overloaded mobility kit, while McCree needs to know his every step and every route on the map. He doesn’t rely on game sense - Genji has reflect and dash to get out of bad spot, while McCree has **** all. So tell me again, which character takes more skill? The one that has tool for literally every screw up he can make, or the one who has nothing but his overall skill (not just aiming, mind you) to fall back to?

That’s not to say Genji needs to be nerfed or anything - I’m indiffirent towards him. But don’t pretend he is the embodiment of some epic skill where he clearly is not.

54 Likes

Can we start by just making his ult cancel when he gets stunned? If somebody manages to stun him, once the stun wears off he can just continue and destroy the team.

Moira’s ult gets cancelled when stunned, as do roadhog’s, tracer’s (if you stun her during the animation), reaper’s, etc.

Why not Genji?

27 Likes

Dat deadly 28 damage per second.

Good players will reliably hit a spacebar spamming Genji since he’ll be slowly falling in a predictable pattern after the second jump.

You think his primary fire is only good for farming ults. Okay. Gee, this hero sure sounds overpowered!

Being in melee range with 200 hp is a pretty significant drawback. Genji’s entire ult can be negated by a single boop or Orisa’s pull. If he’s not killing, he’s not getting dash resets, if he’s not getting resets, you can literally just backpedal away from his sword.

Or “just click on his head”.

He has some of the smallest projectiles in the game. They travel in a straight line and stop upon hitting walls. Night and day difference between Genji and Junkrat.

I’m not going to stop bringing it up in Genji hate threads, because they’re singling out Genji as if he’s every problem with the game rolled into one hero.

Let’s do this for everyone else with a transformation ult as well. Torb, 76, Bastion, Mercy, Winston, etc. I mean after all, if someone manages the herculean task of stunning someone during a transformation ult, the entire ult should be invalidated.

27 Likes

Everyone who says he is so easy and overpowered should not complain when there’s a bad Genji on your team who gets countered and never switch. I mean, he is low skill high reward, no counters, right?

You guys should switch to help your OP Genji instead. Another alternative would be playing him and carrying every game with his “low skill, high reward” kit.

:]

35 Likes

The problem is that his ult isn’t a transformation ult. Sure, he gets the sword thing, but unlike Torb, Bastion, Mercy, and Winston, he gets just an insane attack boost and and increased mobility.

Torb’s turret is the main part of his ult and the rest can’t result in a near team wipe. Bastion’s such a large hitbox that being stunned means death anyway. Mercy’s a similar issue, and also can’t result in a team wipe. Winston, don’t make me laugh! His ult is all about survivability, and he becomes such a large target that stunning should be expected! 76’s ult IS cancelled when stunned, actually.

Genji’s ult can result in a team wipe, and if somebody stuns him in the middle, he will most likely still survive and continue killing. His ult is most similar to 76’s out of all of these. If 76 gets cancelled, so should Genji.

15 Likes