Genji getting nerfed (factual take)

Only makes u more sympathetic. I’ll keep a enemy Ana alive for a bit longer next time I see one.

1 Like

Trust me. Dont do that. Or a very angry orrisa will spear you right back into Hanamura xd

Hahaha yeah that’s tru, I think I’d die anyway if I let her live a bit longer :sweat_smile:

11th March '21, 30th June '20, 16th June '20, 10th Dec '19, 9th Aug '18, 10th Oct '17, 23rd May '17. It’s there on the wiki.

Genji has been buffed enough among his nerfs. On top of this, Cassidy lost his stun, so did Brigitte and Mei can only stun in her ultimate after a delay that Genji can escape from.

Sombra counters Genji, how? Oh, the silence? Damn, its like that counters everyone. It’s like saying falling off the map is a counter cos you die.

Genji can still jump, tumble and attack back effectively during the silence. He is not “countered most of all” considering Heroes like Doomfist are not auto-attack reliant heroes and rely on abilities instead.

Oh and look who is getting a nerf. Sombra and Zarya.

Moira is a support. You have more DPS and range than she does. If you are losing a 1v1 against Moira as a DPS then you’re having issues.

Her auto attacks deal slow damage over time. It only functions when in combination with her damage orb, which she can’t use if she is trying to sustain with her healing orb. Both orbs can be avoided by moving away and can also be reflected by Genji so that they assist you instead.

If you have issues with Moira, try guiding the fight away from her balls if you cannot deflect them. Also, remember, without her healing orb, you’re damage will out pace her sustain.

The beams provide some counterplay but they do not oppress Genji nor do they subsume his strengths. He is still deadly and has other defensive tech to make up for deflect being countered. There are also mechanics for Symmetra and Echo that are themselves countered by Deflect as well.

Cassidy is a stupid name but having McCree still isn’t good. No point honouring that git. No point letting Blizzard hide their pervy past either, hence why its Cole “Consent” Cassidy.

He still benefits greatly from the double-jump and the head hitbox tumble. We’re still wondering through whataboutisms here though, as while he does suffer from float or janky wall collision, it doesn’t take away from how mobile and deadly he is.

He’s not unwieldy and is incredibly effective at his work, even if Echo is desperately trying to play keep away. If she’s that far up, she can’t contest any objectives.

But it does, dude. It does. Everyone has been getting changes. Everyone adapts. Changes are not meant to make a character awful, its meant to change their power levels. That changes how they play. You don’t kill people in 3 seconds, but 5. You adapt your personal skill usage so that it works for those extra seconds.

You’re not complaining about having to adapt when Ana was released or now that Brigitte lost her stun. Sombra is also getting nerfed and you’ll adapt positively to that even with your own nerfs.

Well, Nanoblade and even naked Blade are both very powerful. You can’t try and excuse it because of a whataboutism.

Genji becomes a one man murder machine. He isn’t technically comboing with anyone, even with Nano as its Genji who did all the work. If he uses at the wrong time and gets one shot, that’s on the player. You can’t then say the hero is balanced because some player was an idiot.

It’s like Reaper running straight down the line towards the enemy Ana trying to kill her. Reaper is very strong, but that’s not gonna do him any good in that situation.

Because its a case of whataboutism; trying to excuse one bad thing by pointing out another. All the mentioned heroes are an issue. I never said they had much worse issues, I said they are also controversial at the moment. Everyone suffers under Zarya. Everyone suffers under Sombra. Everyone suffers under Genji.

Genji is part of that group and they are all being nerfed.

Zarya’s bubble is a pain for every hero. That doesn’t stop Genji from being a pain to fight for every non-Zarya.

Silences are almost as bad as Snipers. It stops the fun in such a galling way, but still its everyone who is suffering from that. Sombra is one type of pain, Genji is another.

Cassidy has to aim his E, even if there’s some tracking from the grenade as it flies. He’s still controversial for the damage it causes which in itself is an issue. It doesn’t help Genji’s case when the only “counters” are also borderline broken.

You could also say that Cassidy has to aim with his single-shot revolver. The fact that it only has 6 shots. He has limited mobility or mitigation and needs game sense to be able to use his rolls and other skills effectively.

The irony is that Genji has a greater advantage on the effort balance. He has more tools at his disposable and advantages to abuse. Its easier for him to kill you over you to kill him. Doesn’t mean he is unkillable. Just that he takes less effort to put you in the ground compared to you avoiding such a fate.

I’ve discussed Moira above but;

• Genji deals 98.96 damage per second. Which still leaves him 24.96 dps ahead of Moira when you factor in her healing.

• Genjis dash deals damage and is quicker. Its a great escape tool that has much greater vertical availability. Also, I can assure you that a Reinhardt can still squash you as Moira if you try and fade out of danger…

• I will mention the orbs. They can be reflected. She has to choose between healing or DPS. If she chooses healing, she can’t kill you. If she chooses DPS, you can move away. Both orbs do not follow you. Move the fight away.

• If the excuse is that Moira takes too much effort cos she just runs away then that’s still Genji making it too hard for someone to fight him. If healers could be slaughtered during their burst heals then that’d be unfair. Those heals don’t last forever though, and again Moira’s can be countered by positioning or reflect.

“Almost”. So it is still true. The dash can still get him away from the beams fairly well.

Still doesn’t affect his speed, mobility or his threat. Echo has to get him below 50% first. She also has to get close enough to use the beam on him and keep him in the targeting reticle.

Flying is another topic in itself but it also means that Genji is not being contested. Is his counter to really just hide away from him? Don’t engage?

And yet here we are. I assume that the entire community just doesn’t like how thin supports are and that’s why they are not playing them?

The threat level that Genji has to a support vs what that support has towards Genji is very much in Genji’s favour. You’re trying to kill a very skinny, high damage ninja with a tumble headbox.

All the mentioned supports do not have perpetual techs that keep Genji away. They don’t last forever. Genji is a constant threat on the other hand.

Also, a Genji trying to hit a Zenyatta is easier than a Zenyatta trying to pin a mobile Genji.

Tanks are meant to take effort to be killed and need to be a threat themselves to be remotely relevant.

Bastion has a larger hitbox and can easily be shot down when he pokes out to shoot his turret form.

Genji just takes longer to kill him. We’re not setting a 3 second limit here.

Torb is definitely strong in metal ranks but that doesn’t stop Genji from being overpowered and unbearable to deal with. Players at all ranks are complaing about Genji.

And perhaps that is why the Blade is not being touched this cycle? Its still massively powerful - the fact you can go and find targets not in the immediate area still needs to be respected. Its still a lot of damage from a little hard-to-track murderfly.

People are complaining about the effort imbalance when playing Genji. Genji Mains are complaining that they need to bother themselves more for slightly longer. There’s a difference there.

Learning to adapt for 2 more seconds vs bending over backwards and stressing out as the Genji casually waltses in would not be a positive comparison.

5 Likes

while I can agree with statistics, there’s heroes that take way less effort than Genji that are just as useful if not as useful imo.

People who don’t play Genji saying they’re good after 1 good match vs trashy enemies are also so annoying. Sure Genji’s kit itself isn’t the hardest to understand, but to properly be able to use it in the right situations and the practice needed to completely obliterate isn’t just basic playing. That took a lot of time to properly practice for many people.

The 3 most played DPS in the top ranks that I saw are Sojourn for basically 100%, Genji for 60-70% but going down and Tracer for like 40% of the matches as well. Sombra also appears in the mix and Widow for some reason as well.

isn’t this also a fact for Reaper and Pharah tho? Since the ult happens where they are standing/ end up using it?

He’s a flanker, the assassin role in MOBAs. It’s literally his job to kill squishies and healers take top priority in his task list.

I know that you mention whataboutism a lot but we use that to compare it to other heroes. That’s what you do when u saying Genji is stronger compared to others. We’re literally just comparing his strengths and expansiveness of his abilities/kit to those of other heroes.

I’ll make the efford to elaborate this plain and simple.

Blizz post on this
“Recovery lowered from 0.75 to 0.68” - a whopping 0.07s increase in firing speed
“Dragonblade cost increased by 15%” - A 15% decrease in blade build-time

" Developer Comments: We’re increasing Genji’s Shuriken fire rate to enable him to have more impact outside of his ultimate and increasing the cost of Dragonblade to account for the increased damage potential."

The patch notes you’ve mentioned all fall into the same category.
“Miniscule buffs to theoretical dps, massive nerfs to utility” - Which is exactly what ruins an ability based character.

Properly reading what you quote first helps your point; you literaly spend what feels like hours to find things that do nothing but undermine your points.

Because both of them are a million times worse across all ranks because they are inherently flawed. Putting the level of messed up that Zarya and Sombra are at the same level or anywhere near that of genji atm - Which is implied by it being in the same patch, which therefore shows that blizz thinks genji is AS MUCH a problem as i.e. Sombra.

He cannot double jump while lock-out is present as it disables passives as well - His ability to climb/doublejump IS his passive.
His overall deadliness get’s effectively canceled because he is entirely reliant on his abilites; the same reason simply gimping his damage will not help. He cannot do much without his abilities already - the nerf makes that worse.

Again this is not true. Genji cannot reflect or damage-negate moira orbs with his reflect. They work differently from normal projectile/hitscan damage.

Sym turret beams decrease your speed by 15%/ per turret. Because genjis dash is ramp-up/down dependant his distance get’s massively impacted; currently his dash is 15 meters - Being generous and saying it around halves his distance brings us to 7.5 meters. Which wont even get genji out of reapers effective range.

Syms beam increases in damage the longer you deal damage with the same magazine. Which comes up to 72dmg/s at full charge. That’s a TTK of a little less than 3 seconds for a genji with no healing.
That though is symmetras NEUTRAL GAME, she needs ZERO TECH for that. If genji whiffs his tech or gets otherwhisely knocked out of it HIS neutral game will ALWAYS loose against a sym of around equal skill.

That’s not how Echo works - She has a tri-shot on her primary which, in every probable scenario is both higher dps (at 153dmg/s, 612 dmg with a full clip connecting btw), and much more reliable to hit due to it’s miniscule triangle pattern, in contrast to genjis very far spread shurikens, which stop hitting (normal sized) heros at around 2-3meter.
Echo is, even in genjis “death bubble”, on paper and in practice the better dps; echo is just MEGA buffed genji but y’all cant be bothered to learn her.

Ruining neutral game instead of combating more pressing matters is about as close to “ruining” a characters fun and effectiveness as you can possibly get.

Again. Blade does 110dmg per swing which is every ~0.8 seconds. Nano blade with the 50% dmg buff does 165dmg at same interval. Anas nade increases healing received by 50% as well which makes A SINGLE nade+ana dart heal 105 hp. Which almost completely negates normal blade, and makes people tank 2-3 more nano-blade hits… which is 80% of the entire duration of the blade btw.

The issue with nanoblade isnt the extra damage it’s the 50% damage resistance the nano-target gets.

Genji is fast/hard-to-hit and hits hard himself. So does Echo, Sojourn, Junk (to some extend), Phara, Tracer (and widow because getting to the other side of the map where she’s positioned without getting one-tabbed is a skill-issue on her part). He has individual abilities and weaknesses like every other character.

Cant find the source on it; but the nade creates a cone at use time which is most of your screen in size. If anyone is on this cone and <=10meters away from cass the nade WILL stick and home in on you. The mechanic itself is also insanely buggy as the nade can do full 90° corners at times; it’s arguably more of an issue than genjis kissing your forehead and rightlicking you.

Cassidy hits a single shot, literaly anywhere; he can fan for as much as I care. As long as ONE of those shots connects he can secure the kill by pressing E, as genji forcibly is inside that 10meter range for the nade and all you need to do is have the genji on your screen for a few frames. Great efford there.
His revolver needs aim I dont dissagree with that, but he also does 120dmg per headshot WAY outside of genjis “Deathbubble”-Range. And a genji diving you with 80hp is dead either way. If not you suck. Period.

The fact you 1:1 quoted the wiki goes to show.
".96"dmg ? That’s ENTIRELY on paper. It’s mere mathmatical statistics, not reality.
Each shuriken does 29 dmg currently. If every shuriken connects to the body it deals 87 dmg per volley - That’s how you gotta see this; not the speculations of what the wiki tries to sell.
Moira does a steady 50dmg/s and actually has one tick of 50dmg every second; that’s accurate.
She also heals at 24hp per tick - again 1 tick ever second means 24 hp/s.

Let’s say the moira is ~5meters away from you (they travel at 60m/s). And the 3 shurikens ALL connect on the moira, with a volley time of 0.88s.
That get’s you 87dmg per 0.96 seconds. Which is effectively 1 second.
Remove 24 dmg from that (moiras self heal) that’s 64dmg/s if you have PERFECT shuriken aim.

Moira holds rightclick in your general direction. - See the massive difference in efford and the minimal difference in damage done ? (Also doing the same math with post-patch stats genji does 7 damage (57 total) more than moira in that specific 1v1)

They also have a 4 meter radius hitbox around them which makes them the single biggest projectile in the game. They also slow down if they deal damage or heal someone.

No. No it cannot because the turrets reach is 20 meters and we already established genji dashes at best 10 meters once hit by one.

No. Echo has the single highest primary fire dps in the game and out-damages genji outside and inside his effective range with less aim-requirement than genji, as her primary fire is more accurate and higher damage.

We’ve found another counter to the “overpowered and all-mighty character”. Characters who’ve repeatedly been called out for being extremely unfun to play against as they are hard to hit - Those comments usually came from salty bronze and or console players who couldnt hit the broad side of a barn.

Ana nade out-heals genjis blade, do you really think it wont outheal his already trash neutral game ? C’mon at least make this challenging.

Genji is a DIVE character. As in he is very powerful towards the concept of “get in, get kill, get out. Do that fast”. His window of opportunity is what makes him powerful out of god awful ranks. Removing this window by pressing E on your keyboard isnt fun; it’s not fun for literaly any other Hero in the game as well - one of the reason people hate Kiriko and Bap, and why Ana is one of the best supports in the game.

Zenyattas orbs have a bigger projectile size, arrive on target faster, have a higher fire-rate and each one deals more damage than individual shurikens of genji. Zen also has is spartan kick to force genji out of his effective range and into Zens effective range.

Zen can also discord orb Genji for additional 30% extra damage which makes a SINGLE Destruction-Orb do more damage than a FULL rightlick of genji. (Both to the body).

Zen is the easiest divable out of the supports. But not because he’s a terribly easy to dive character, but because every other suppor is EVEN WORSE to dive.

Bastions turret form also deals 360dps. Yes it can be deflected but deflect lasts 2 seconds and Bastions Assault configuration lasts 6 seconds. That’s 4 seconds of insanely stupid, main-tank melting damage that the whimpy Japanese dude will not surive unless you have terrible mechanics at which point the better player wins naturally. (Bastion also has shield health and the biggest dps health pool which makes him immune to genjis techs)

Torb has a winrate close to 90%, genji has a winrate around 53%. Torb is harder to deal with in all of metal ranks, statistically, then genji.

Again. 3 out of 8 supports (those that, yk, are the most played either way) press E. And stop 80-100% of blade having any impact whatsoever.

Because. Genji. Is. A. DIVE.

His entire playstyle revolves around going in, getting a kill, and getting out.
If you cant do that genji isnt effective. Having to be inside an angry Tanks cheeks, harrasing his hard-tanking support is a quick way to land in the respawn screen.

Any time you waste on genji trying to kill something instead of ACTUALLY killing it, is wasted time you SHOULD have used more effectively.

1 Like

OxO u did T_T, it was good,

edit: wow it really instantly deletes it instead of asking for confirmation. Weird.

Describes hitscan heroes perfectly.

I guess you’ll have to rewrite it now. Please do, it really was good. You can leave stuff out that was misunderstood and maybe add more points in case u missed something even

Yeah nah post keeps getting purged idk why

Phahahahaha. They’re not even trying to hide their delusion anymore.

2 Likes

Right, but problems are fixed from the bottom up. The issue with Genji isn’t as such a balance problem, but a “The supports are leaving at a higher rate than the other roles, and many of them are naming Genji/Sombra as the reason” problem.

Blizzard can not just sit there and let that play out, they have to step in, and this is what we are seeing.

Blizzard can’t let the queues get bad enough that they can’t onboard new DPS and Tank players. At those ranks, he is not a blade bot, they just have a problem that it is all flankers all the time.

To fix that, you have to nerf his neutral game.

They’re holding off on nerfing sojourn due to her being good in high rank but people play her poorly in low ranks.

They’re nerfing genji because he’s good regardless of player performance.

1 Like

They also include console players performance btw.

Supports leave games for reasons beyond dives. I get dived by other anas in QP. It’s not genjis fault peeling is not a common thing.

I never leave games out of principle, but my tank inting for 12 minute straight while screaming at me in voice and text chat is worse than getting dived.

I figure if they want Support players to account for anywhere near 40% of the total playerbase, they are going to need to try a lot of things all at once.

I.e. Shotgun approach, or “Throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks”.

If you got a giant bleeding chest wound, you shouldn’t be trying to stop the bleeding with bandaids.

I cannot stress this enough.
Support isnt weak. Support isnt helpless. Support isnt just healbotting.

Quite honestly, support is the reason the game is as bad a state it currently is. And I main support.

People diving supports isnt even about “gotta remove heal from team”, it’s literaly self-preservation of fun at this point

1 Like

ugh.
yeah, worse then i thought then.
If they can’t even focus on PC balance then there’s no hope anyway.
There’s no point in even complaining about balance.

Brig doesn’t stun anymore. That’s a buff to Genji. Factual.

1 Like

Yes, but that is the reason they are giving to Blizzard for leaving the role. The feedback during the beta was pretty specific on why support players were not happy.

And we are seeing them leave the role, since fillQ is now basically just supportQ v2, and it wasn’t like that at launch.

They can’t ignore this. - so they are stepping in and acting. They know that “all flankers all the time” is a problem which is at least driving some people away from playing support, so… here we are.

I think this won’t even be the first nerf. I think mid next season Blizzard is going to panick, and then you will see something big.

3 Likes