Game lost its soul

When Jeff Kaplan left, it feels like this game has been stagnant and the love for developing new innovative content just isn’t there. New skins and collaborations don’t count. New heroes aren’t all that exciting and lose interest a couple days after release. I think Jeff had real passion and pushed the game to try different things like PvE. Game feels like it lost its soul since ow2 release, and now all we have to look forward to is new skins and battle passes that prey on our wallets.

25 Likes

Sounds like your burned out, I would recommend taking a step away from OW for abit. Probably FPS in general.

And comeback in few weeks or a month or so. (And just OW media / discourse in general)

If you still feel that way, then you at least had time to establish an interest in something else.

3 Likes

Taking a break from OW doesn’t change facts.

All they care about now is making money from the store.

10 Likes

That’s what happens with free to play. The money comes from microtransactions so that is where the focus is. The game is merely a vessel to sell skins now.

7 Likes

I would like to point out the game released with gamble boxes with no dupe protection and low coin payout, tide specifically to account leveling. With no other ways to get them other then paying for such.

Which a… made them a lot of money that sudden disappeared when those coin drops were increase and dup protection was implemented.

2 Likes

No, buddy. The game wasn’t always f2p. this is what happens when a company gets greedy.

1 Like

People are starting to blame Jeff for the current state of Overwatch.

When it’s far more likely that the reason he left is because of Overwatch 2.

3 Likes

Game lost it’s soul when they introduced role queue.

4 Likes

Correct , now its souless product covered in former glory and nothing we can do about it

1 Like

They count to me as they’re responsible for Overwatch losing its soul even more.

Collabs have no place in a game with such a rich universe. They were only added to cover up the fact that they canceled OW2 and only went for a F2P revamp of OW1. Collabs = soulless cash grab.

This is mainly because animated shorts are rarer.

Animated shorts and PVE are the reason why most of us grew to like those characters that much. Our imagination and creativity gave us too much hope, I guess.

Perfect summary of what F2P Overwatch actually is.

There is an even more likely reason he fled not only Overwatch, but the industry as a whole.

:muscle::grimacing:

4 Likes

Let’s just hope we get more story missions exactly one year after the last ones in season 6 (August 20s Season 12 + Space Ranger) and then they choose to “venture” (haha… see what I did there… nvm) into making an animated series like Arcane as a test with just one season and decide whether to make more based on the performance of the test run just like Arcane did which is why it took so long to get Season 2.

I still play daily, but I’ve not been playing nearly as much as I did at the start of the year. I think the game is still fun, I just want to see more innovation but instead they want to play it safe and follow a formula that I guess is in their best interest.

There’s only so much game directing one can do, before you become the game.

1 Like

I don’t understand your point. The game went from being sold for $40 to being free to play. This transition was a key factor in it losing its soul. It went from the game itself being a priority in order to make money for them to the game being secondary to microtransactions.

You either die as a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

1 Like

I’m saying that they didn’t need to go F2P. Like, OW was not suffering from lack of money.
Loot boxes made them A LOT of money. They gave away skins too… and still were able to make lots of money from loot boxes.

With loot boxes being illegal in other countries, they needed a new way to milk people for cash, which is where OW2 comes in and they just used PvE that they straight up knew was never coming as a guise.

Everything including the old kitchen sink is now for being sold for real money.
It never needed to go F2P
They did this 'cause they wanted more, more, more.

My entire point is that Blizzard is greedy AF and taking a break from OW is not going to change that fact.

2 Likes

You can’t have passion when the market demands that you sell $25-59 scam skins.

1 Like

Doesnt matter when it lost its soul all that matters is the game we all at one point loved is not the same, its like when your partner cheats on you you never see them in the same light all you can do is move on.

3 Likes

Game lost its soul ever since Reaper lost his soul orbs.

My lovely, glistering crimson orbs.

1 Like