Game Crashing Continuously

Hello, I’ve recently built a new computer, and it’s seemed to be working fine. I’ve been playing Overwatch a good amount recently, and It’s been crashing on me mid-game. I first got an error that read “Overwatch has crashed in the graphics driver”. I did some things that I had found on another post, and that error hasn’t come back yet. But now, I’ve been getting another error that just crashes the game. Any help?

Error Code: 8A0696B0-615A-4809-AA78-ADE2C76DC9DF

Hey TimmyO123,

It looks like you’re using an RTX 2060 card. There are some issues between RTX cards and Overwatch that our dev/QA teams are investigating, so your issues may likely be related to that.

I would recommend trying this workaround which involves renaming the Overwatch.exe and using that to launch the game, to see if that helps for now.

If that doesn’t work you may also want to try just lowering the graphics settings in-game, and disabling background processes just to test those as well if they haven’t already been tried.

Hey Jambrix, I’ve tried disabling the background processes, no fix. I tried to rename the Overwatch.exe, but when I open the application, it just gives me a black screen. I’ve tried going back into the game, and the crashes seem to be more frequent. I have also gotten some blue screens during this time.

TimmyO123,

If you’re getting bluescreens, most often that indicates a major hardware issue or conflict with something important, like a security program. If you’re doing any overclocking, start by disabling this. I would also recommend enabling debug mode on your Nvidia graphics card as follows:

1. Right click your desktop
  2. Click NVIDIA Control Panel
  3. Click Help near the top of the window
  4. Toggle the Debug Mode on - a checkmark will show up

If debug mode is not available (grayed out) ignore this step. This step just disables any manufacturer overclocks on your graphics card.

If these work, you need to tweak your overclocks until they’re stable again. If that doesn’t work it’s likely overheating. Grab hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you get link errors, just link it between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Hey Drakuloth, ere’s the HWMonitor screenshots.
https://imgur.com/gallery/y9VyqC3
I saw that my CPU was over 60 degrees, but I thought that if the CPU would overheat the computer would just turn off, not get a bluescreen. This time, I was mid- game and got another bluescreen. Here are a couple of the error messages that I’ve gotten.

Stop code: DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
What failed: dxgmms2.sys

Stope code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Thank you for the help, it means a lot. :slight_smile:

Howdy!

This error seems like it could be related to a third party conflict or corrupted driver we can tackle both issues at once by completing the steps below before retesting the game:

1. Perform a clean install of the latest driver. Download the latest driver Here. When you get to the Install Options select: Custom (Advanced) → Next → Checkmark: Perform a clean installation → Finish the install and restart the PC.

2. Place the system into Selective Startup. This action will stop background steps from loading with Windows so we can test if this is related to a third party conflict.

Retest the game to see if the issue continues.

Thank you.

Quick update, I did what you said in your last reply, and I was going strong for around 5 games. But then in the middle of another one, I got the render device lost crash. I tried renaming the overwatch application, but when the new window opened, I only got a black screen.

Hey there Timmy,

It looks like your GPU is hitting 81*c when it’s crashing. It’s very possible the device is “throttling” since the max safe temperature listed by the manufacturer is 88*c.

Be sure to check out our “Checking for Overheating Components” guide for good information on how to handle overheating hardware.

If the GPU temperatures are more stable, and you continue crashing with the same error, please follow up with us on the main RTX thread. We are collecting examples of cases and working with our engineers to resolve them.

Definitely be sure to follow the steps for resolving the overheating issue prior to that though. This will help us ensure the problem is related to the investigation.

Hello, I have tried to do all of the things listed to prevent the overheating. For whatever reason, not much is happening. I’ve been playing other games, like rocket league and PUBG, and this problem hasn’t happened to me with those games. Thanks for what you do.

Timmy,

Let’s see how things are looking now that you’ve tried minimizing overheating. Grab hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you get link errors, just link it between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`