Game crashes only in competitive

All arcade and custom games and quick play work for long periods of time but the second i click on competitive i join a game then screen freeze with “Rendering device has been lost” very frustrating because i’m then suspended and -50sr. only game that does this is overwatch. stock internals on PC, i7, 16g ram, radeon RX 580 . Whats the point of playing if it just punishes you for game crashes

2 Likes

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Check this starting guide for steps to resolve your RDL errors:

This only happens to me in competitive game modes as well. I’ve done hours and hours of mystery heroes on end with no trouble, but the second I try a competitive match I get the RDL error. It happens to me in Copa Lucioball too, and even custom games with competitive rules. This is absolutely ridiculous.

3 Likes

I know this is necro a hell but…Google brought me here and I have to get this off my chest.

I’ve been playing OverWatch for almost two years. Literally since the day it came out. I have never had a crash that I can recall. I used high-end Hardware. And have cycled parts in and out of my computer a dozen times in the past 2 years. Again, I have never had OverWatch crash.

But… I also don’t play competitive. I never had a team to play with so I usually just played quick play or arcade casually.

Then one day a friend convinced me to play competitive with his team. I did very well, but during my placements the game crashed on me three times. THREE TIMES in 10 matches. Each time it happened was after at least an hour or more of play. So…about every 3 to 4 comp matches in a row I got a crash. (The rendering device lost crash)

Now…I have a pretty good pc…and OW is on an ssd so each of these matches I was able to get back into the matches in less than 30 seconds. But in the end I still recieved a small ban for DCing too man times even though I reconnected EVERY time. And what about the people that DON’T have OW on an ssd? That’s like 3 minutes to reconnect. So on top of the DC penalty they are basically guaranteed a loss.

This ONLY HAPPENS IN COMP.

Don’t let blizzard tell you it’s your pc. Or your configuration. Or any other B.S.

The crash usually happens sooner to my friends with lower spec PCs and with less ram than mine so a memory leak is the likely culprit but I’m not a programmer…That’s YOUR job to figure out Blizzard. So stop lying and blaming people’s hardware (mine is nvidia and Intel btw so u cant blame it on amd).

This is a problem with COMP ONLY. The supposed bread-and-butter of this game has this fundamentally game breaking bug and Blizzard not only refuses to acknowledge it but continues to blame it on the consumer.

End of rant.

8 Likes