Game Closes Randomly with no error code or log

Whenever I attempt to play the game, I am able to run it for about 10 minutes before the game will randomly close back to desktop with no crash window or error code of any kind. There is also no crash/error log file added to the error logs folder. This has only started after the update on the 30th. Every other application on my computer runs fine except Overwatch.

2 Likes

This is happening to me as well, I have tried everything under the sun to resolve this. I have looked at and tried every suggestion from folks in other forum posts, but no dice. No crash report (both in the Overwatch folder and Event Viewer), no error code just immediate desktop. This also started happening to me after the update on the 30th. Figure I’d respond and bump this along.

1 Like

I have the same issue, only happened after April 30th update.

Would be great if we could get someone from Blizzard to actually acknowledge the issue.

The game client closing would be a system-level permission, not something Blizzard would be able to adjust. You can likely find the reason for the closing in your MSInfo or Windows Memory Dump files.

So, what am I looking for? Because this only started happening after the update on the 30th and I haven’t changed any sort of settings. I just wanna know what I can do to try and fix this, because nothing I’ve looked up has helped and I have no where else to turn.

Look in the Windows Reliability History for critical errors. And check Windows Event Viewer under system logs for red/critical marks.

You can also review your DxDiag errors (after exporting the report) and the same area in your MSInfo (again, after exporting/saving to text).

I went through reliability history and event viewer and played until the game closed. There were no new warnings or errors. I’ve now also tried new RAM in case memory was the issue, but that was no luck either.

If something crashes, it will 100% show up somewhere in the logs or reports.

That’s my issue, though. The game isn’t crashing. It’s just closing to desktop. There are no error codes or log files like an actual crash. Event Viewer shows nothing and neither does reliability checker. My temps stay normal, I monitored my CPU, GPU, and RAM as I was playing until it crashed and there were no spikes in use. My game will just randomly close whether I’m in quickplay, custom games, or practice range. As far as I can tell there’s no specific event that causes it, it’s just random.

Try the Windows memory dump files. You’ll need a tool to read them. Sometimes volunteers on the Microsoft forum will decipher them for you.

I am on good internet as well as connected to ethernet, but since the last patch, my game consistently crashes mid game. The most annoying part of that is I’m getting penalized for it. My cool down on queuing for games just keeps getting longer and longer. I find it extremely unfair that your players are getting punished for your server issues. This is honestly making me want to just uninstall the game since I can’t even play a full game at times. I’d say I crash 2 of 4 games consistently. Which is extremely unfortunate as I have contributed a good amount of money for skins and other extras, but a game that has issues and punishes it’s players for it is not a game I wish to support with my hard earned money. Please fix this for the love of god.