Game closed during competitive search, and got supended for it

I started a search in competitive, the Overwatch game closed on me before a match was found so I restarted the game, and it opened to a suspended notification due to leaving a match and removed SR.

I don’t understand what happened, and why I got a suspension, I have played 40+matches and never left a competitive early. I had a lot of leavers in bronze even had leavers 4 times in a row after the first round of each game in competitive.

Dealing with leavers and now this, anyway of getting back the lost SR?

This is what it is like the majority of leavers that are you complaining about, so now you know what they are dealing with. Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Based on your description, you got disconnected while you were in queue, but it takes SEVERAL SECONDS for the server to realize you disconnected and during that time you can be queued for a match.

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Now if you are disconnecting frequently, please stop playing Competitive and troubleshoot the issue. Your description is not very clear on if you disconnected or crashed so I need more details about that in order to provide advice if this is happening frequently.

Hi

Thank you for replying WyomingMyst,

So basically your saying when my game closed, it still managed to find a game for me as it had not registered on the server that I disconnected. It would mean I had most likely 30seconds after the game client closed for me to start it, log back in, fully load, and re-join which literally takes about 30 seconds; making a reconnect in these situations almost impossible.

I have seen one other player in my competitive games (leave the moment the match was found). It could explain why they didn’t managed to make a reconnect because the amount of time given vs the time to reconnect is about the same, so they would see the re-join button just as time ran out.

This was the first time the game crashed, and I haven’t disconnected from an Overwatch game before due to internet problems.

Unfortunately that is the case, I personally don’t like it when players get fully penalized when they crash before or during the match pairing and have even written proposals about how to handle it. However the reason is to primarily avoid the dishonorable practice of queue dodging.

Yea, competitive system needs fixing due to leavers (intentional or unintentional), perhaps a percentage of the SR (gained or loss) should be skill based (kills, damage, healing, block, dealt / hero time and deaths).

5v6 just after the first round in a game and no reconnect basically already decides who’s gonna win (Red text box mid-game team leaver notification is just a pointless countdown). The system still makes the losing 5 player team take a full loss ignoring they were severely disadvantaged for a large portion of the game time.

I just hope they do address the leaver problem and adjust the ranking system to appropriately fine tune players. Getting medals/high stats is just helps you grind XP, but doesn’t fine tune your rank.

Note that Overwatch has been more and more leaning away from performance based metrics. It used to be more relavant way back in the day, and starting in Season 8, Diamond and and higher tiers no longer have have them at all. While leavers are a problem, lack of teamwork is by far a bigger one.