Game Breaking Bug - double-click+hold causes primary & secondary fire to jam (7 Mar 2018)

If I try to rapidly fire either of my mouse buttons in a double-click+hold pattern, as long as the double-click+hold happens within the span of ~0.25 seconds, primary/secondary fire just stops working.

https://gfycat.com/HelpfulPeriodicAfricanparadiseflycatcher

Downloaded Nohboard to confirm that my mouse inputs are being recognized. My computer is picking up that the mouse buttons were released and re-pressed, but for some reason, the game isn’t receiving those inputs. Here’s a video, with inputs overlaid (mouseEvents are working just fine for the computer… Overwatch just isn’t recognizing them, video above)

• Tested in a different game (CS:GO) and this doesn’t happen in other games
  • Scan and Repair found nothing
  • I’ve done a clean reinstall of the game, still jams
  • Reset my mouse drivers, still jams
  • Tried a different mouse, still jams

Did a bit more testing;

• Plugged in a controller, doesn’t jam
  • Changed Primary and Secondary Fire to keyboard keys, doesn’t jam
  • LMB and RMB rebinded to keyboard keys through Corsair Utility Engine, doesn’t jam
  • Keyboard keys rebinded through Corsair Utility Engine to emulate left click and right click, it jams

The game isn’t recognizing a mouseHeld/mouseReleased input, and just stops executing any further actions.

It can be a slow double click – I can shoot 4-5 bullets as S76 for the first click, press LMB for the second click, and fire just stalls entirely. I can also be feathering Pharah’s boosters, or Rein’s shield, or D.Va’s Defense Matrix, and it’ll still jam.

It’s only this specific pattern of firing. If I click once and hold, it works, but if I double click or triple click and hold the mouse button down, it stops firing.

• I found a thread on the old forums, and one of the users said I have to disable Touchpad inputs. I have a desktop PC. Don’t even have the ability to access touchpad devices in the Control Panel menu.

• Tested this with two of my friends, they do NOT experience this issue.

• Attempted a double-click and hold/drag in the Hero Gallery, the drag operates as normal.

It appears to be a bug with only Overwatch, and only a limited number of players are affected. I posted this thread on Reddit as well, and several dozen are reporting that they’re affected, though others are saying that they don’t experience it at all.

11 Likes

Why is this not getting more attention?

I posted this onto Reddit for some more attention.

https ://redd.it/82iqgz

I do this constantly as Moira when rapidly clicking for heal spurts and then trying to switch to the damage beam. I end up spraying heals at the enemies for a second before realizing and then die (if I can’t fade away). I thought it was my fault for some reason.

Honestly was about to return my mouse because of experiencing the same thing, fingers crossed the devs see this thread.

I can’t duplicate. Razor Deathadder. Good luck in your effort to find the problem.

Some people on Reddit are theorizing that it has something to do with certain background applications, not mouse settings, which might have some merit to them.

But I can’t confirm that.

Holy hell. This bug is what has been causing me endless in-game frustration.

It’s usually when I play Sombra. I right-click to decloak behind an enemy, then hold right-click to hack them. Game happily decloaks me and announces my presence, leaving me vulnerable and waiting for my hack… which never happens. By the time I realize the game has failed, I’m already dead.

This bug also interferes with my primary fire on various characters, Storm Arrows as Hanzo, and Defense Matrix as D.Va. It’s maddening to lose a duel, or let my teammates down by throwing a match, because of a dumb glitch.

I can reproduce this at will. Why hasn’t it been fixed? If the devs need help, I would be happy to assist.

Hi there. I haven’t experienced this bug in a very long time, so I don’t know if it’s been fixed proper, but I recommend completely quitting out of every single app or program in your notification area that isn’t Overwatch.

Everything.

Can you list your computer setup?

EDIT: I cannot replicate this at all.

The only issue that I have is on Reinhardt, if I attempt to double click on right click, the camera resets to a VERY strange position inside of Reinhardt’s body before going full 3rd person again.

This is an issue that affects a small number of players. Very few people experience it, but when they do it makes the game almost unplayable.

I recommend completely quitting out of every single app or program in your notification area that isn’t Overwatch.

Tried that. It didn’t help.

You sure it was everything? Reminder that these apps can still have background processes running in Task Manager.

If you’re still having issues, then the last ditch effort is doing a full clean reinstall of the game and a clean reinstall of your graphics drivers.

If it still exists beyond that, Blizzard will need access to your computer’s logs to nail down this particular bug.

I dunno what fixed it for me, it just started working again.

Necroing to note that this is STILL a problem to this day. Nothing has ever been done about it and it’s extremely frustrating and game breaking that it happens.

Over the last year-ish, I narrowed it down to four possible apps getting into an argument with Overwatch over which app has focus.

Plays .tv
GeForce Shadowplay
Discord
Corsair iCUE

They fight over inputs.

A straight reformat should make it right as rain.

It’s a nuclear, last ditch option, but will fix the problem.

I have none of those, so might be back to the drawing board.

I made a video clip to demonstrate this problem. - YouTube