Frustrated with dev responses

And Smash actually somewhat works as a Competitive and Casual Experience, it has its flaws but it works. Competitive Overwatch is a joke, just not nearly as poorly put together as Meet Your Match Competitve TF2

Yea I didn’t really like that response much myself. How can they claim they want a hardcore competitive experience and just allow for everything that would make it that competitive experience to be optional in a competitive game mode? It makes ZERO sense.

2 Likes

I lean to agree with Jeff.

Every new hero just breaks the game further, i’d argue we need less heroes even. Just look at the period between sigma and echo’s release: Balance was as close to good as we ever had.

Time is needed to balance out the roster properly, and it cannot be done if a hero that breaks some rules is introduced every 3 months. Just look what echo, sigma, brig did at their release.

The game was broken for months at a time after each problematic release.

Also, with every new hero the average amount of knockbacks and stuns is increasing as well which they jsut started addressing after years, and they are still far from fixing that single issue.

I think three to four heroes a year is actually a good pace. It takes this community months to get a solid grasp on new heroes. Every one of them has been called “OP af” at release until people learn how to play with/as/against them, which takes time. Being that perception of balance is usually more impactful than actual balance, I know for certain that this community couldn’t handle more frequent hero releases. There’d be widespread panic at all times.

While more heroes would be nice and add more variety…it would also upset whatever balance this game has. Say what you will about the balancing for this game, but no matter what is said…one hero can flip everything on it’s head.
Brig did just that and they did ALOT of nerfs and adjustments to where bring her to where she is now. But that took MONTHS to fix.
On the flipside…Ashe was one of the heroes added to the game that had a WAY smoother transition into the game. B.O.B seemed a bit much at first, but after learning how to deal with him…it’s wasn’t all bad. Other than that…no really big issues.

But that’s the thing with each heroes…it can either be a hero that just adds variety…and/or is a possible balancing mess. And we won’t truly know for a while. The time between a new hero release and the next gives them the time to fix whatever problem that may arise.
More heroes releases does sound nice, but I rather they work on what’s here now before they bring something new too quickly.

The other issues is that balancing this kind of game is kinda a give and take. You nerf or buff one thing, you indirectly nerf or buff another.
You nerf CC, flankers like Genji and Tracer a little less to worry about when they do flank.
Buff healing output for healers and things become harder to kill in just normal fights(without ults). Affecting certain heroes(Genji being a prime example).
Nerf healing output for healers…you buff, well…most attacks in the game and people can die faster.

You get the idea.

Certain changes affect different things and it could good or bad down the road.
Now…does that mean this game doesn’t have things that need changes?
Heck no.
This game has it’s fair share of issues and should definitely be tweaked here and there.

But I feel that no matter how much they balance it(or how well they balance it)…there’s gonna be something “unbalanced”. Either because it’s something that’s hard to balance…or because some see something that may seem more balanced to them then it does to others.
Sometimes the changes the dev team makes sometimes is rather…questionable, but sometimes they make a good call. Other times…maybe not so much.

Point is…Everyone sees game balancing differently. Balancing a game is easier said than done and changing too much too quickly can cause more problems.
But if something is a problem in the game balance…we should bring it up if needed. Because the devs do hear what we say and try to give us what we ask a good chunk of the time. They’re not perfect, and kinda screw up sometimes, but they at least try.

Disagree. They need a team that can fix queue times and restore ranked ladder integirty. In order of importance: 1. being able to actually play. 2. having fair play. 3. balance nuances. 4. new heroes. 5. etc.

TF2 is also almost 13 years old, made by a developer that doesn’t seem to care about game development anymore outside of VR.

But this is just plain incorrect. All parties involved understood that this game would be a living product following release, and it was TF2 that produced the blueprint for success with their wildly successful free updates and the eventual switch to F2P. There was never a reason to expect no new content for OW - that’s how you make money with a live service game.

I bet their team resources was like 60% on OWL-related things that’s why we’ve got new heroes every 4-7 month.
Even the game isn’t a moba, heroes are the key of it. Obviously Jeff know it but he hasn’t better excuse for that lack of hero releases :yawning_face:

2 Likes

You make very good points and arguments…

which is also why the devs sadly don’t care what you think… which is dissapointing, they love hearing or feedback, they just don’t ‘listen’ to the feedback unless we start raising pitchforks… or the pros make the arguments

2 Likes

I find :white_check_mark: marks helps.

I am actually not convinced that he knows, which is the scary part.

if I recall correctly at one point they said they had 5 heroes in the works. and since then Echo has come out. and we’ve been told no more heroes till OW2. therefore OW2 will come with 4 heroes.

Well, they are under Activision so Activision decides it for them. Why invest into the game when they can invest into OWL which gives them money?

They don’t need more heroes. They need a matchmaking system that actually works, or they need to say ranked is only playable with a six stack.

The responses aren’t always ideal.

But with the Virus stuff going on. Im not expecting much from the company right now. We don’t know how many people are on Furlough, leaves and things like that. It is difficult to get anything done which all of us IM sure can understand this.

BUT… There are many things in this game that have gone UNASWERED for YEARS. Not months.

1 ) Are they EVER going to do something about using a POSITIVE way to fix the SMURFF problem that we all DESPISE and yet they brush it off like it is NOT happening. When level 26 accounts are joining competitive to THROW matches enough to reach BRONZE and then STOMP all over EVERYONE on their way back UP to Diamond or masters?

I’d like to play competitive again. But I always get the De-Rankers and it REALLY stinks.

2 ) Are we EVER going to address the poor treatment of healers and use it as an INCLUSIVE CLASS like it USE to be? (Casual players)

3 ) Role Q really, has locked the game’s Q times into a VERY bad position for DPS. yet despite the majority-pool of Playable characters ARE infact… (wait for it)… DPS characters!!

4 ) Diving into custom portraits so we dont have players DEMANDING and throwing their games when there are THOSE whom have higher play-times put into their matches. Expecting to be carried.

5 ) The fact that NERFING widow’s timings does NOTHING for the game, despite they could have SIMPLY lowered Critical hit output.

3 Likes

One hero every 4 months wasn’t that bad when we had the other 3 months filled with other new content such as events or map releases. It only feels like a long time now because they’re no longer filling those gaps like they used to.

I’m pretty sure Jeff said that they have multiple heroes for each role in the works, which is a bare minimum of 6 (assuming they all come out at the same time, which isn’t a guarantee). I don’t recall him giving any hard numbers, though.

I feel like this is getting to be a game of telephone, where one person just started saying stuff out of anger and pessimism, and others just eventually start spreading it as fact. Though on the other side, it’s better to have lower expectations and have a pleasant surprise than to set them high and be dissapointed.

1 Like

It’s blizz who hires not them, if blizz feels like they have enough devs, the devs just listen and work.

You do be speaking facts doe :flushed:

i dont why people complain, you’re getting this sheet for free. The entitlement today is insane.

Thay said that money from OWL doesnt affect speed of developing game. Maybe its sad, but imagine OWL being closed :scream: