Frustrated Parent - Overwatch 2

OW2 is not a “new” game over OW1. OW2 is a simple monitization patch tacked on with an amount of additional content that could be summarized as an expansion to OW1.

1 Like

Are google numbers also a valid work around, or are they not eligible for SMS?

Google Voice? If that’s what you asking, no. Those do not work either-- because they are not Blizzard approved.

Yes, hence the (lol?). Blizzard considers it a new game, however.

It’ll do absolutely NOTHING to mitigate any of that

Nobody at Blizzard considers it a “new” game. It’s all branding to work up hype for their greedy monetization patch.

Overwatch is an FSK16 game, so you are gonna tell me your sons are old enough to play this game and do not have phones?

Either get them phones, or do not let them play games that are way above their age.

You should have at least said that they use prepaid phones that can not be used for verification, this would be more belivable.

1 Like

Even if you have a cell phone, if it is prepaid it doesn’t count. Also doesn’t count with my Post-Paid Cell Phone plan through Cricket Wireless, just because it is Cricket… I have had this number for over 13 years but apparently it isn’t good enough

Talkatone works. There are stipulations for it but it’s like $0.99.

And give it awhile, betcha there’s gonna be a Reddit thread of several work around by the end of this month.

In the US it is rated “Teen” 13 and up. Furthermore, the age at which a kids get a phone is up to the parent.

2 Likes

Hey, you’re right. Even in some of the interviews regarding development of the game Aaron Keller says they were developing it under “the context of a sequel”, and it’s one of the largest updates to the game they’ve done. It’s considered an update or a massive expansion.

Color me surprised.

1 Like

Indeed it is, and a responsible parent should not only watch when their kids get phones, but also what video games their kids play.

Either way, a kid old enough for Overwatch is old enough for a phone and vice versa.

Another thing is of course, should Blizzard be allowed to collect private data as phone numbers from minors.

But let’s be 100% clear about this. Adding your phone number is purely for data gathering, marketing and customer analysis.

It has absolutely nothing to do with preventing multiple accounts, since getting a cellphone with a 1 month plan is about 10$ which is cheaper than OW1 ever was.
It’s just some PR nonsense that the majority seems to believe.

5 Likes

This notion that a kid old enough to play OW is old enough for a phone is ridiculous. Any parent who cares about their children would also know the potential negative effects of giving young teens a phone. In my house, I have a communal phone for my teens, it allows them to have contact with their friends but prevents them from constantly being locked in a device.

1 Like

You’re joking, right?

4 Likes

Oh, look, a new account on the forums named “Air” wants to tell everyone there are no smurfs in OVerwatch… lol
Are your friends “rage” and “genji” going to come agree with you later today?

No it is not, the notion that a kid that is old enough to play OW should not have their own phone is.
And this is especially true with the amount of predatory monetization now in the game.

They should. And guess what, to teach something how to be responsible with anything you do not hide said thing from them.
The older they get when they first get in touch with literally anything the less control you have over them and the more likely they will not use it responsible.

BTW: You do not have to start with a fancy smart phone, that can get them locked in. When they get their first phone it should be a simple phone for calling and SMS and nothing else.

The situation is serious, but this post killed me lmao

LMAO, parents have the right to decide how to raise their children. Your decisions/opinions or yours. Who is hiding something, literally my kids have access to a phone, just not individually, and that is my choice.

4 Likes

i agree. its stupid. they say its to help with cheating so when they ban someone they cant just make hundreds of accounts, but they could of also did that with a credit card, but they dont wanna do that cause then you cant give them your money