Frustrated Parent - Overwatch 2

Ok, but you litterally said

Which is what I was commenting on.

I think we can both agree on this, with the caveat that the crime fit the punishment.

Holy overreaction Batman. There is a lot of middle ground between a terror and your standard player. People get frustrated in the heat of the moment it happens saying something you didn’t mean happens, it shouldn’t affect a whole family.

I’m not, stop jumping to conclusions. I grew up playing COD and Battlefield, I would have hated if my account was linked to may family’s. Not because I was a terror, but because it would have a lot of pressure for someone still learning there way in the world.

This argument is pointless anyway as Blizzard has already decided a path forward, while not ideal. Its miles better than what you suggested, and what is currently implemented.

Ok. That doesn’t invalidate the argument. Lots of people do things that are against set guidelines.

Then I would call them teens. To me, minor implies less than 13/14

I’m still waiting for an argument that proves how Overwatch is not safe for kids. The problem with your argument is that you think a T rating is absolute. There are plenty of games that get bumped up in rating for extremely small details.

1 Like

I didn’t make that argument. I just stated a fact.

You stated a fact in opposition to someone vocalizing their frustration to the fact their children can no longer play Overwatch. Given context, it’s natural to assume that you were, in fact, making the argument that Overwatch is rated T, implying that their children should not be playing it anyways if they are too young to have phones.

It’s never a good idea to assume. Her children can play Overwatch. They can play on her account which isn’t against TOS since they are still her children and she is responsible for them, despite the game being rated T or they can link a phone number to have their own account.

Yeah I seriously doubt this is what you meant when you said “the game is rated T for teen.” Troll harder.

Ok. Only I know what I meant. If being wrong is that hard on you, maybe try assuming less until you have all the facts to come to a conclusion. I will only entertain one more reply to a response that I can actually guarantee that you will give and not just assume you will give, because I do have the facts to know that you will invariably and without a doubt, provide a response.

I mean, you’re always free to elaborate on what it is that you meant. Chances are that you won’t because everyone saw right through your comment, hence why you have multiple people here who came to the same conclusion I did.

It’s not hard because I’m not wrong.

banned=/=suspended, i clearly stated how one would be handled differently than the other

Blizzard lets you get away with a lot of bad behavior before they act, so there is plenty of middle ground. If you actually got suspended because you went way past the the slack they give to their players, you almost certainly deserved it.
The reason why if one number is suspended than all numbers should be suspended, is because it prevents someone from jumping on another account to repeat that bad behavior.
I think We can agree that toxic behavior shouldn’t be tolerated and there shouldn’t be a work around to avoid punishments. (if possible)

If when i was growing up, and i was so toxic that I got suspended from an online game and it effected my old brothers account, my family would either have a sit down with me explaining why that behavior won’t be tolerated going further or they would revoke my gaming privileges until i can function like a decent human. They definitely wouldn’t reward me by defending my toxic behavior.
And they definitely wouldn’t think it’s the rest of the worlds responsibility to put up with someone SOOOOO toxic that they keep getting in trouble, when it’s super hard to get in trouble because of all the slack they cut.

We can disagree on this all day if we want to. But it still doesn’t nothing about the core argument.

Blizzard does not need someones phone number. Its the only company that requires it just to load into the main menu in any form. Some games block ranked behind it. I disagree with it still but its a better idea then the whole game.

Not to mention there is literally a free app that lets you get around the phone number restriction so I don’t understand why people still think its a good thing to have. It will do nothing to stop smurfs. All it does is make it harder for actual customers to use the game.

I didn’t give them my phone number and as of tomorrow I will be able to play OW2. Look at that the system works, they listened to what customers actually wanted, and acted. Admitted they would have ideally removed the system completely given how useless it is, but I will take a win where I can get it.

EDIT: OW1 had a higher barrier of entry then OW2 for smurfs 10 or 20 bucks for a new copy was much more of a bigger commitment then downloading a free app and creating a new account. Stop acting like this will do anything.

I agree, the phone number is way to outsource their responsibility to us.

I’m not giving it to them either.

1 Like

My jaw is on the floor right now. Why are you defending them collecting phone numbers and on top of that advocating for a worse system?

Don’t try to meet Blizzard at some middle ground. Stand up for yourself!

I honestly didn’t expect to get what I wanted I thought my days of OW were done. I thought they would allow prepaid phones and I would be out of luck.

Stop defending corporations, stop trying to reason with them, they don’t care. All you were doing by trying to find a middle ground was advancing their ultimate goal of collecting phone numbers.

1 Like

My solution was only if blizzard insisted on numbers and working within that framework.
I made a thread a day or two ago saying that the phone number thing was outsourcing their work to us.
I was never going to give them my number, so not playing ever again was a very real option for me.
There was no middle ground for me, but for others there certainly is, I wondered if there was a solution to satisfy everyone involved.
I think Blizzard can do authentication without linked phone numbers involved, but I also think Toxic players can be better dealt with too.
No excuses for either.

If they are old enough to play Overwatch you can but them a phone

As I said. I’m not longer going to entertain a response. If you believe you are right, then that’s fine, many people believe in many things, that doesn’t make them right. You made an assumption that I made an argument I didn’t and are arguing a point I didn’t make. I made a guarantee that you would respond and you did. You made an assumption as to an argument being made that was not and can’t fathom being wrong. You’re not the only person like that. As I said, I’m not interested in entertaining delusion.

Yeah literally my parents were the same way, they didn’t want me playing Dungeon Slayer because in that game you were the evil one. To some degree I could see their point though, of course I still got the game either way lol. I do think there is a difference between role playing a criminal or doing “evil” acts on a younger mental state but I think both are fine with the realization that this is fiction/fantasy and not reality. The first time I played GTA 3 I ate :mushroom: and it felt weird just doming random people = P

Honestly though even Diablo III has some fairly mature content with Leoric’s story being acted out in the next room.

I am going to chime in one more time here.

The T rating is not a requirement, its a suggestion for parents to make their own decision. In the details it mentions tobacco use. My son sees people smoking actual cigarettes outside the apartment on a daily basis and we’ve talked about them and the dangers. It would be more dangerous for my son at his age to have a cell phone that he can use when I’m not present. He plays Overwatch sitting right next to me against AI. As a parent its my opinion on whats safe for his age as states on the ESRB rating website that people are acting like is a law that should be followed.

Cell phone # is not the only way to do MFA authentication. I do IT work for large companies. You should be able to tie it to Google authentication app, Microsoft has an app, you could have a code sent to your email, there are several ways.

3 Likes

I get it, but next time take a stand for yourself and everyone else. Tell Blizzard its wrong and you won’t play until its removed. I get wanting to help other people, but don’t comprise your values to do it.

If you think something is wrong take a stand, make it known. By offering a comprise you did yourself no favors or any of the other people who feel the same way you did.

Lastly some people aren’t sure what how they feel about something and want to read up on it. By offering a comprise, instead of taking a stand, you basically told them you had no problem with blizzard taking your number. That might be the only post of yours they see.