Freezing must force restart

So, after the patch I got on to play with 3 friends. We were playing in quick play when one of them mentioned that they froze. Screen locked, music looping, no way to do anything. Couldn’t close the program via task bar, nothing. They couldn’t even pull up the task manager and were forced to start their computer. We thought nothing of it and chalked it up to maybe an issue with his computer. Then, after he got back it happened to ME. I was forced to restart. Again, thought it was coincidence and went on about our way. Then again, it happened to our third player.

This has never happened before today.

4 Likes

I have just experienced this exact same problem. Was playing Lucio on Quick Play, screen froze, had to reboot. I don’t do anything on this PC other than Overwatch, and the only thing that has changed is the new patch today.

2 Likes

Happened to me last week. Usually in comp though. Randomly the game freezes and sometimes I’m able to alt tab and close the game other times it requires a full restart. On an AMD RX 470. Hopefully its not the amd bug coming back.

Same problem has happened to me twice today while in comp. Happens on death, the first time during the death animation and the second during the respawn screen. Had leavers in six of my games in a row which I’m guessing were partially due to this issue as well.

On a GTX970 so it’s not an AMD issue.

The game froze on me again. This time during the “welcome to…” player list screen. I’m currently banned from comp for 30 minutes and down 150SR because of this bug. The game never crashed on me before this patch. Blizzard, please, this is unreasonable.

If you’re using Windows you can sign out of your account rather than restart your entire computer.

Also suddenly having this problem.

EDIT: Aaaaand now I’ve been suspended for 8 hours because of this.

I’m on a 1080Ti.

Just had the problem in a comp qualifier match. I hit tab right after I died and while I could still hear in-game voicechat going on, everything else was 100% frozen and I had to restart.

I have same issue. Game freezes and i cant play anymore. Need to relog or force restart PC. I lossed about 200 points for playing competetive like this :-/

I am suffering from the same issue currently. Nothing was updated or changed on my PC before the error started occuring. I can reproduce the freezing by playing 1 to 3 replays from the in-game replay menu. The game freezes, no audio and the only way to get the pc working again is hard reset. The issues startes on Sunday and have continued now for three days. Other games remain unaffected. The freeze replicates with both the latest driver and the one before that. Temperatures remain the same they’ve been (65 degrees Celsius)
Current setup:
Nvidia 1070 TI 8gb
Intel i7-7700K @ 4,2GHz
RAM: 16 GB
64-bit Operating system windows 10.