FPS/Stuttering with the 5700 XT

Haven’t checked notifications, glad I’m not alone here. The Vega having similar or same issues makes it more interesting.

My bet is on AMD’s drivers. If you peruse the forums there are numerous people mentioning the same issues with their cards in multiple games. Here’s what’s been really interesting for me lately…

Call me crazy, but it’s almost like the card/drivers have to adjust for the game you’re playing. The production version of Overwatch was having all the issues I described, until sometime yesterday, it mostly went away. I have no clue why, nothing changed on my end. Then I join PTR, and guess what, more stuttering and massive framedrops, exactly like I described in the OP. I’ve since been playing PTR for about an hour today and it appears gets progressively better overtime, still with some FPS drops.

I have no explanation for this. You’d think the results would be consistent for every play through, but it seems the more I play the game, the better my performance gets. It’s still not stable. I could put my 980 in right now and the issues would go away, but I’d rather not do that :slight_smile:

Also Neocry thanks for saving me the trouble of buying a third party cooler for the time being, lol. I’m holding off on that for now. But to tell the truth my card never goes above 80-82 at max, with WattMan’s auto-undervolt enabled. Even before then it never got hotter than those temperatures.

However to end this long rant, I have received two crashes in the middle of a game, both in production and PTR within the past two days. Not a rendering device error, just a generic crash. So that’s disconcerting.

Edit: Sorry I need to add to this, because I didn’t realize people above were basically saying the same thing about the FPS ramping up. In my case I went straight from production to PTR within the same sitting last night. The production version was sorta fine after a while, but immediately after joining PTR I got the issue again, even though the card was already “warmed up.”

This thread is a few weeks old but hoping this will help other AMD users.

The stuttering problem that you’re experiencing is likely related to the AMD latest drivers. Others have been reporting that Adrenalin 19.7.* thru Adrenalin 19.6.* have a weird unexplained performance problem with Overwatch. Similarly, Freesync is broken across multiple games with these driver revisions. I have a Radeon R9 Fury and can personally attest to both issues.

I’m not sure if the older pre-5700XT drivers work but Adrenalin 19.5.2 has been working mostly fine for me. I say “mostly” because I still get some tearing (almost like the game’s frame falls out of sync with my Freesync monitor.) Very bizzare, and oddly enough, turning OFF Reduced Buffering in-game has helped me.

My hypothesis: AMD’s new “Radeon Anti-Lag” feature intended to sync CPU and GPU timing for esports as the root cause. Anytime the timing goes awry, All of these OW & AMD drivers issues coincide

My specs: R9 Fury with a Ryzen 2700X, 16gb DDR3200, 144hz Freesync monitor. I’m OCD about my frame smoothness, can detect even the slightest of stutters, and keep Freesync enabled.

Hey, i had this issue with my new MSI 5700XT and Ryzen 5-2600x
Now i Play Overwatch and all other games in Window mode with the latest Drivers and everything disablet. Only thing i use is Anti-Lag and it works great.

I thought it helps someone else with these options :slight_smile:
Greetings

I also had stupid amounts of stuttering on sc2 at the start of the match and clicking around the mini map. Basically, it was so bad on ac2 and pubg that I returned the card and just formed out for a 2080ti over my 1070gtx. Smooth like butter again. AMD needs to get their stuff together. I want the 10 hr of troubleshooting back to my life

I agree. I’m an AMD fan but their launch drivers are atrocious. On Reddit and elsewhere, people are complaining that AMD won’t even acknowledge the broken Freesync issue with their driver notes.

It makes me want to get an Nvidia card (especially since it works with Freesync now). That said, Nvidia isn’t immune to driver problems and “rendering device lost” crashes in OW. Trade one problem for another.

I have tried rx 5700. The same issue.

The problem is that the frequence (GPU/Memory) is not stable. WIth my old card (Vega 56) it was possible to set the GPU at 1200MHz (or something like that) as a minimal value. WIth rx 5700 it does not work and the card is very slow (all system got only 200…220W). You can see in the WattMan area that the GPU is working in the range 800…1200Mhz in the games. Another issue is the vertical frequence. WIth 60Hz it is much better that with 70Hz. WIth 70Hz the WattMan does not work properly. Very sad…will send this card back.

Was having same stuttering problem w/ 5700XT and was driving me crazy.

Problem was solved by changing from display-based frame cap to custom and setting at or greater than monitor limit. In my case I have a FreeSync 3400x1440 x 75 HZ screen and I just leave it set frame cap at 100.

Has anyone tried the new Adrenalin 19.8.1 drivers who can report back?

Similar problem here, 7700k with gtx 1660ti, had no this issue with gtx970 or rx 570 (same machine). Seems that game works good until “enters in this fps drop mode”, when fps drops, losing 50 or more frames average. I’ve to restart game to replenish (until enters again in this mode).

Hi guys,
something i noticed… the disable streaming suggestion seems to help. But after driver update or game update, i’ll get stuttering again… I just enable and disable streaming in battle.net and it goes away again. Hope that helps!

Hey all, same issues with a Vega 64.

It’s my first Team Red card. How do I roll back to an older version of drivers to try that?

I just got a 5700xt and have the same stuttering issue, and also crashing, freezing, everyhing… and I’m coming from a nvidia 1060 3GB that ran smoothly with no stuttering issues whatsoever at 1080p, it was a 1/3 of the size and weight of this 5700 xt beast, and so far it seems to outperform it as well… I have a 1440p monitor with 144hz and I bought this card specifically for gaming at that setting… I’m not sure if its a driver issue and AMD has yet to iron it out, but I switched over to team green and no stuttering whatsoever on its equivalent the RTX 2060 super ( both $400)… and keep in mind I have an AMD RYZEN 5 3600 ( 3RD GEN, released july 2019 )… and this is a processor that critics have raved about, so this is not a processor issue, this is most definitely a 5700 xt issue ( possibly driver?)… I didn’t wait around for a driver for a POSSIBLE fix later in the future… We only have a small window of time we can return or exchange these products… so went to a 2060 super and I am gaming in 1440p no problems whatsoever… Some people say its your processor, but I strongly believe it has little to do with that a much to do with the 5700xt itself. have a good one.

Just upgraded to a ryzen 2600x and rx 5700 and am experiencing the same issues.
I start up the game running competitive settings and it starts out low fps (90-120) and after I tab out or tab back in it goes up to a stable 300 no stuttering, but over time it slowly drops until its back under 144fps. This drop happens no matter what settings I run, same fps with 50% render scale and 150%.

I thought I would bring to light what i’ve done as I’ve had the same issues

I’m running Ryzen 9 3900x x570 gaming plus 16gb ddr4 (3000hz) Rx 5700 XT OC

i’ve tried everything people have said and have finally got the SOB going, i’m taking 5+ hours while streaming yes it did start to minor stutter towards the end but it was minor and can put up with that until driver comes out

soooooo go into Radeon Settings
Gaming
Global settings
Global Wattman
Set to Manual
Set Frequency/Voltage to Manual drag the first point to 800 mHz, 750 mV
the second one 1450 mHz, 1024 mV and 3rd 2100 mHz, 1182 mV (please note I’m not the best with this so anyone with more experiance might wanna fine tune that)

Set your Fan & Temp to Manual
now for me first ones set to 29 degrees with 49% power I understand you don’t need the fans always going however incase it was a cooling issue causing throttling I’ve done this and the final checkpoint is 79 degrees at 100%

power limit 10%

and that’s it, I will say after a good few hours while streaming it did start throttling again but it was much more of a minor can barely notice it

anyways hope that helps anyone else that’s been struggling

Hey folks,

Blizzard app streaming no longer exists anymore, and everybody in the thread appears to be mentioning different fixes. Because of this we’re going to go back to treating these as unrelated issues. If you continue to have stuttering issues, please start your own thread.