FPS drops and unstable FPS (especially during team-fights)

I am not PC smart, I apologise in not knowing exactly what specs to list here However I do have an AMD graphics card which I’ve been told isn’t the best. 16GB RAM as well from memory.

This issue really affects my ability to play when during any hectic team fight situation the frames drop so badly I lose all ability to aim and be composed.

This isn’t every single fight. Some games it doesn’t appear as noticeable and I can perform well. But my fps ALWAYS flickers, to drastic degrees.

Here’s what I’ve tried:

Turning off Xbox DVR
Scanning and repairing Overwatch through the Blizznet Client
Turning every graphical setting to the lowest possible
Deleting any Blizznet Cache

I also plan on upgrading my monitor to a 144hz one soon, and I understand this will help. However, this issue doesn’t feel monitor related (although maybe it is?) It definitely feels like something internal.

My fps always flickers, always. Is this normal? It never sits at a stable number, and changes in big jumps. it’ll go from between 299-240 during non fights, then anywhere from 40-190 during fights. It’s not uncommon for me to leave spawn with 260fps and then start fighting with 50 and feel unable to move. However, this isn’t always, and really can’t predict why

Thank you if anyone can help with this.

Specs (yes I don’t know what I’m typing here)

Name: Radeon ™ RX 470 Graphics
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip Type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF)
DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)

Intel® Core ™ i7-7700 CPU @3.60GHz
System Model B250M-DSH
System Type x64-based PC

Howdy!

It seems like you just need to tune your settings to be more stable for your current monitor and hardware. From the post it appears you are not even using a 144hz or higher monitor(yet). If you are currently using a 60hz monitor try going to Options → Graphics → Limit FPS → Display based which will lock it at 70fps till you upgrade.

When you do upgrade please be mindful you need to tune your graphic settings to achieve higher FPS when the GPU is busy such as in a team fight, not standing around doing nothing. When your GPU isn’t busy your FPS will go up because it’s in fact doing little work but you want to focus tuning when it’s busy to achieve stable FPS. We have a stucky post about getting the best performance out of the game Here. May help you out!

Thank you.