FPS drops after time

Hello everyone.

Since my last Topic wasn’t really being noticed, I’m writing a new one, in hope someone could do some troubleshooting with me or even got the solution itself.

So I’m playing with 100% render scale and on medium graphic settings because I use to stream sometimes. But the stream is not the point here. I capped my FPS top 130 because I have 120hz anyway but if I wouldn’t cap it, I would have around 180-220fps ingame or even more. So, everything seems fine, but after time (sometimes after 2h, or earlier, less than an hour) my average FPS is dropping to around ~90 FPS and then the game feels laggy.

First of all, those are my specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k (not overclocked)
GPU: Gigabyte 1070ti 8GB Windforce
RAM: 2x 8GB@2133mhz Corsair ValueSelect
Mainboard: ASUS Prime H270-Pro
Monitor: 27" Samsung C27FG70 (1920x1080@120hz)

Usually, I use background programs like Discord and the Battle.NET-Launcher and barely Spotify but those won’t be the problem.

I also use the Razer Synapse since I got razer peripheries. It’s known for causing FPS drops which I know, so I already tried uninstalling it but it didn’t help. I use ASUS Armoury and Roccat Swarm too.

I hope, someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Add a DxDiag for troubleshooting any PC issue.

DxDiag instructions (click to expand/collapse)
  1. Press Windows Key + R, then type DxDiag and press Enter.
  2. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  3. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.

If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can post it on Pastebin.com and provide the hash code (the numbers/letters after the .com) in your reply.

1 Like

Hello.
The hash is “wCZifYgQ”.

Hey ImSamu,

In this case, let’s remove any old driver files by using the third party driver remover DDU. You can find a guide on using this program here. After this, pick up the latest driver from here.

Run the installer and select the Nvidia Driver option only. Once the driver install has finished, change the Nvidia settings so that the game is using the Nvidia card:
• Right click on the desktop and launch NVIDIA Control Panel → Manage 3D settings.
• Go to Program Settings tab.
• Select the game to change the graphics processor under “Select a program to customize”. If it’s not is not available, select the specific game from the drop down list.
• Select your “Prefer maximum performance” graphics card under “Power management”.

Then reset the game settings to set everything back to default.

I did it once already. Is this answer related to the dxDiag-File?

Or just a general suggestion to do?

I can try it again.

ImSamu,

There’s not a whole ton we can suggest here as you’re getting over 60 FPS already and we don’t provide much support for setups trying to push beyond 60 - they’re considered “Enthusiast” level. Since we’re not PC techs we don’t have all the utilities to figure out what might be bottlenecking things.

That said, if you’ve already knocked out the above, we’re probably looking at hardware throttling or a program fighting us for your drivers. You mentioned you aren’t running much, but I’m still seeing a lot of RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64 errors in that DXDiag which can indicate something’s getting thrown into the wrong block of memory. Usually happens when you run out of RAM or something fights for control of the RAM/drivers.

I’d try disabling discord overlay if you haven’t yet, and playing with absolutely nothing but the game running - not even browsers or the battle.net application. If that works, re enable things until it breaks again.

If that doesn’t work it’s likely overheating or some other hardware instability. Grab hwmonitor and play until you start getting drops. Once you play a full game where you’ve been having drops, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Hello.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Your mention about the “Enthusiast”-level:
The problem is, that those 90 FPS actually feel like 40-50 on 120hz. If that wouldn’t be a thing, that wouldn’t be such a big problem for me

Also I tried your steps with the hwmonitor. The screenshots were taken right after I experienced the drops again.

Short facts:

• Graphic settings were on medium and 100% render scale
  • Discord overlay is OFF but running in the background
  • BattleNET is NOT running
  • At this point I cleaned my old drivers with the DDU already.

Here is the link:

https://imgur.com/a/aAp3qjH

An input from my side:

Your thoughts about my RAM could be actually true. As I see in the Task-Manager, my RAM is not reaching the limit but with speed of 2133mhz it’s actually slow. This could be a reason.

ImSamu,

Whatever’s going on here, your PC is not getting the most out of your CPU. Here’s the spec sheet from intel. You’ll note for the clock speeds on your intel core i7, you’re only hitting 4.0 GHz, the “Base Clock.” Intel Turbo Boost should be ramping up your CPU to 4.2 GHz, during gaming, which is a demanding thing. Turbo Boost is not doing this. I am not entirely sure why this is - unless you disabled turbo boost in your BIOS or something like this or the heat issue I mention below is the cause. If you did disable Turbo Boost, you might consider turning it back on.

Apart from that, the tCase recommended for this CPU is 64 degrees Celsius, and your HWMonitor shows that you’re hitting 76 degrees Celsius at times. Considering all of this information, I assume your CPU’s heat solution is malfunctioning for some reason. Might have a PC tech look at it, make sure any fans aren’t clogged, any thermal paste is applied properly, nothing is wrong with the mounting system for the CPU, etc.

Regarding the feeling of lower FPS, I understand where you’re coming from, but we don’t make any guarantees that the game is going to run at enthusiast level. Here in these files we have a glaring issue that may well be the cause of your problem, fortunately, but I merely wanted to let you know that even if we can figure out the dips and stuttering, we’re not necessarily going to be able to help you OPTIMIZE things to a permanent 120 FPS since that’s beyond what Blizzard CS supports. You’re more than welcome to work with other users on the forums if we hit a point where I can no longer help, however.

Your rig should be able to perform far better at medium settings than it is, which is the sole reason I’m trying to help us figure things out as I expected a hardware related problem based on all your descriptions - and I think we may have found it.

Hello.

This was actually a great help, since I always assumed, that my GPU is bottlenecking and not my CPU. I’ll look into that with a PC tech after I tried the Turbo Boost and configurating my fans.

Thank you very much, at this point I’ll declare this as “solved”.