Fixing goats wouldn't fix Overwatch

Seriously… when was the last time the meta wasn’t defined by 6 specific heroes? With maybe few situational variations?
When the pro scene started forming, we had triple and quad tanks. That gone, paved the way to Dive comps.
Removing dive forced us in double sniper.
Now that double sniper is weak, Goats is king.

Even if next patch kills goats, rest assured a new hated meta will soon rise.
I think overwatch really needs an overhaul. A 2.0 version where there are a lot of global changes.
I don’t know what, i’m no developer… but i think as long as OW stays like this, it will always be plagued by 6 men metas.

3 Likes

Everyone knows that at this point- the issue is that people find GOATs more boring than Dive or even the moth meta, because there’s no exciting DPS to watch.

5 Likes

that… isn’t my point.
My point is that even if we fix goats, a new meta will arise and matches will be almost always mirror matches, with 6 good heroes and many trash tier picks.

I know, but I’m saying the reason that it’ll be good to get rid of GOATs is that it’s just boring gameplay, which won’t entice viewers to OWL, so OWL won’t make as much money, so we won’t get as many updates.

Having the same meta for months is unhealthy for the game and make the OWL quite boring. The meta needs to keep shifting to keep the game fresh and other heroes viable, even if it’s not played in low and mid ranks.

Also, having a meta that makes an entire class (damage) useless is pretty bad, isn’t it?

i think the problem is the slow patch schedule. Like, every patch seems to change so little.
Mind you, i’ve seen some change in direction, as we had the massive healer rebalance in august and we had some radical changes to brig and doomfist that weren’t just numbers.

1 Like

GOATs is since a few months while Dive had at least a year.
But yes, every mirror match is boring despite it has dps or not.

1 Like

The game needs a hard reset to season 9, other than the moth problem the game had the most balanced representation of tank and dps duos before Brigitte ruined everything.

2 Likes

People only really hate Goats beause of the hero’s it uses. People seem to hate tanks and support. I mean think about it DPS are instant lock picks in almost every game, to the point you often run with 3-4 of them when you really shouldn’t because people won’t switch.

Suddenly the most valid tactic is 3 support and 3 tanks, with no DPS at all? Yeah I can’t imagine why people react strongly against this Meta.

Frankly I don’t cart what is Meta, nothing should be meta to the level OW tends to be. There should always be a handful of tactics and team comps valid for every situation. I mean the closest we ever got to some kind of variety was Pirate ship on Junkertown.

It was a map specific Meta but at least it was a second meta that worked while Dive was still going on. There now 29 hero’s in the game and it would be nice if all of them had at least one team comp that was valid at some point.

There’s two things to keep in mind with this, though:

• Metas naturally shift over time as players get hours logged as/against meta comps and come up with counter-strategies. Anti-dive comps are not GOATS comps, but they definitely receive dive attempts and repel dive comps better than GOATS does.
  • When Blizzard tries to force a meta shift, they always go way too far because the changes they make have massive unintended consequences. Ana was meta, so they nerfed Ana and reworked Mercy; exeunt tank meta part 1 and enter moth meta.

Metas should shift, but as a natural evolution of players learning how the comps work, rather than heroes being cratered or buffed to the moon arbitrarily based on “I don’t like that hero, pls fix”.

Difference is that GOATS is a 3-3 comp meaning that there isn’t viable DPS heroes right now. Dropping a whole role is really bad on a fundamental level

I think a really big factor in that the meta is always so stale is that you can change hero mid-game. This means that people will always just change to the hero that doesn’t get countered at the moment until eventually both teams end up with more or less the same comp composed of heroes that are countered the least by the whole cast on average. (Basically just the concept of evolution in a really small and simple scale).

Remove switching mid-game and people are stuck on the hero they chose at the start. It would also give them more freedom in balancing because not every hero has to be perfectly balanced (which isn’t possible anyway).

Goats is only in at most 2.49% of games chill out with this “its the meta” stuff.

Well, that’s the league and Blizz pumped lots of moneys in it. What do you think that will happen with the game itself if OWL turns out to be a failure regarding revenue? Not much good, I assure you.

Especially when it just means that getting kills is almost entirely Positioning and Cooldowns.

Who cares about that? If you don’t like that it’s your own fault. Nothing wrong with that objectively so it’s fine

The reason people care about that is because it’s boring to watch.

If an eSport is boring, then it’s a bad eSport.

To “fix” OW we need more than 29 heroes. Like TWICE more.

I wouldn’t fix it, but it would make it better.

I’d be interested to see how diverse gameplay would get it they even implemented half of these design changes.
📝 Patch Notes for 2019, idea

If that doesn’t work, then do hero bans for OWL season 3, but make main tanks be unbannable.