Fix Syms primary please!

Here is my suggestion that will go unread by the Devs:

Revert her primary fire to lock-on again and reduce the damage build up to what it was, if not slightly less. Increase her ammo capacity to what it was before. Leave the turrets as they are now, but have them with a shorter CD. Have her secondary move a touch slower, but not as slow as before, and allow it to penetrate barriers again. Once it comes into contact with an object or players, it does a smaller explosion with a slight damage nerf. Now we come to the main problem: Photon Barrier and Teleporter. Both are really fun to use, but many Symmetra mains that I’ve talked to would rather have the teleporter and barrier switched back since the barrier was actually usable to stop multiple things. Personally, I would like it reverted as well. But with her kit, have it be able to take two different forms: Offense and Defense forms(kind of like switching weapons for other heroes). Offense will be as Symmetra 2.0 was, moving Photon Barrier and dealing the same amount of damage. Defense Symmetra will reduce the damage her gun does, but allow her to set up a barrier between two columns.

And these were just my ideas from back before the rework was even mentioned. There were multiple ideas on how to buff Symmetra and give her QoL changes that many others have posted, but they were more than likely ignored. Symmetra has been pretty much the joke of Overwatch, being F-Tier and the lowest picked hero in any tournament. She needs to be looked at CAREFULLY by those that have played her for more than 100 hours.

1 Like

I find your openness to be nothing less than charming.

1 Like

Her old barrier was situational same as her current beam, yes being able to block a Dva bomb was nice but that shouldn’t really be a need if you have good positioning the only real places it did something useful was on pushing a choke or blocking a widows sight, Her new tp allows her to get better positions lets her save her team mates if the fight turns and get high ground advantage almost instantly if they reverted the barrier and tp then the barrier would need to be buffed. plus her old TP and SG were just an awful fit for a game like this anything that has to be stationary to work = bad in this game just look at bastion and old torb.

Her alt fire really isn’t that strong it just seems strong compared to her dog $h!t primary xD its good but even if the rest of her got buffed it would not need a nerf. id personally like to see it reverted to its old form aside from charge time shield pierce restored but have it so when it travels through a barrier its damage payload it can deliver is reduced by half that way it wouldn’t be OP.

Her old photon barrier would be so perfect in this existing kit if it was stationary. She’d actually be able to hold her own and charge off of enemy barriers without needing to retreat or rely ENTIRELY on her team for protection and healing.

Imagine for a moment, that you could choose between building Teleporter and a stationary small Photon Barrier. They’d share the same cool down.
One offers you and your team mobility whereas the other anchors you and provides valuable protection.

Nah that’d make too much sense wouldn’t it.

Dude i am all for a 4.0 rework making Sym into a barrier based non healing support someone that can provide her team with powerful barriers all the time to replace the need for anchor tanks like Orisa and Rein cause rn you really need one of them to have a good chance. create space with shield piercings orbs, secure areas with turrets and protect the other support with her lockon.

1 Like

As much as i loved Sym 2.0 and want her to comeback with her iconic lockon beam you can’t give her back with her current kit it would be totaly crazy.

TP sentries + lock on team kill every single push lol you just can’t do that.

HOWEVER Symmetra need actual buff to be relevant , she’s in a terrible position !

Buff M1
Reduce the CD of sentries to 8 sec.

Could be a good start.

Id like to see a change to sentries being if she has 3 up and they haven’t been triggered in say 5 seconds she can fire out a new one without triggering a cd seeing as how key her turrets currently are to her ability to fight

Why not rework Sentry Turrets altogether:

Increase count from 3 to 6
Increase HP from 30 to 50 (49 of which could be Shield HP)
Decrease their damage from 50 to 20
Decrease their cooldown from 10 seconds to 8 seconds

And lastly, they prioritize hitting whoever Symmetra is targeting with Photon Projector.

With these changes Sentries are more readily available and more durable but nowhere near as strong as they are right now DPS-wise. I miss having Sentries to lock down areas or even spread them out for coverage.

I’d rather have less damage from them but more staying power and then allocate that lost damage to her Primary.

I’ve thought of 3 ways to help Symmetra (not all at the same time). 250 hp (50 being armor or shields). Less time to set up a TP and give it a little longer to be up, and reduce the CD on her turrets slightly (it’s pretty much her primary damage dealer unless you are godly with her rmb).

Meanwhile, “Why won’t Blizzard implement my suggestions!?!!?22?11?!11”

1 Like

Could do all three of those and she would still be lacking, her turrets are dificult they are in a state of flux they are both powerful and useless at the same time. another 50 shield would be nice but still wont fix her core issue. and TP is so buggy its a meme

so you have a primary that obliterates tanks and secondary that obliterates squishies with a massive hitbox

I have this strange feeling that 99% of the new symm complaints are L2P issues

I’d say remove the beam, put orbs on primary fire, put her previous moving shields on secondary fire.
But honestly, I’d revert Sym way harder than I would revert Mercy and I’m pretty unhappy with the current state of both. The “hide-and-protect-the-shield-gen” minigame was at least fun, the new telly is just pure meh.

Added to the megathread. Thanks.

I have a primary that does next to nothing to a tank even though it was sold as a tank buster and a secondary that is nowhere near as useful against squishies compared to her old primary its a huge still slow moving considering you have to charge it attack its a budget Pharah rocket. people make out like her secondary is some god send perfect weapon its not it just seems amazing compared to her dog $h!t primary fire. i have NO issue playing current Sym i have a lot of issues with the fact half the mechanics to the character i loved were ripped out and replaced with cheap versions of other hero attacks that don’t even fit her!

Since when was a 4 second charge (if you can find a barrier that the enemy will not obliterate you for standing in front) 90 DPS considered tank busting?

Oh, you thought it was 180 dps? With 20 tickrate Symmetra’s amazing tankburster deals exactly half damage against armor…I wonder what most tanks have…oh right, armor.

Even besides that 180 DPS, which is ony if you maintain a 100% accuracy is not exactly amazing DPS in the first place, especially since it has limited range and cannot headshot.

For comparison, Soldier racks of 171 dps (19 damage a shot out to 30 meters, 9 shots per second). He needs no charge up, has over double the range, is far less affected by armor (-45 damage per second as opposed to Symmetra’s -90) and, and this is the big one, can headshot.

3 Likes

Certainly this will be addressed eventually. The primary fire is indisputably problematic. It’s like, this is why they rework heroes. To make them consistent! Like new Torb…

Her primary fire was a weird one it was weak for the first stage the second it did respectable damage and the third it dealt consistent high damage i honestly cant believe they made it even more inconsistent its sort of astounding

2 Likes

So many people like us have these middle-ground tweaks that could have been applied to 2.0, and just like us, we’ve been suggesting viable options since the rework was a concept.

1 Like

Symmetra has had alot of “eventually’s” already, it is getting kinda tiresome.

2 Likes