[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Why not a proactive skill? Maybe a 1sec/half a second invul to all damage on a 15-20secs cooldown to her beam target (or her current beam target and herself). It’d not cleanse tho, or it’d be really broken.

It’s going back to the fact that Mercy is already frustratingly difficult to kill already. Also the contradiction to the rest of her kit that I mentioned earlier.

1 Like

are you sure about that?

3 Likes

It would be nice to have some idea of what’s going on their end. We don’t necessarily need to know what they are changing. It would just be nice to know something is being done about it.

I refuse to believe they don’t have different versions of Mercy they’re playing with right now I just want to know what it is they’re doing.

1 Like

Well they are reworking Torb and doing the Sombra changes now. But i hope they are focusing on Mercy after them.

We are all the same page lol. I’m starting to get anxious to an update. There’s got to be something said soon.

Oh right, I’ll just be sure to link the feedback somewhere so it doesn’t get lost in the discussion:

Why not fuse her old ultimate with the new one? That way… rez would be an ult and not a free ability. It’d work something like this:

-Line of sight with whom you want to rez (aimed at the soul like Ana’s boost, for example).
-Press Q
-Just one ally comes back into the fight instantly (no cast time) AND Valk ult is activated.

This would make rez unusable outside of ult and would provide a powerful ult that denies one pick and then supports the team for a counter-attack/a push. Maybe even focus on her single-target heal a bit more during Valk… why not make the direct ally being healed receive more than those around them? That’d also force you to choose your targets more wisely… those around could receive something close to Lucio’s output while the one receiving the direct heals go for a bit more than Mercy’s usual output.

As suggested by other people, she’d probably need a new E tho.

1 Like

I definitely won’t ignore the other problems in the game. Last night I played Sombra and her hack kept switching to different targets on it’s own. Sombra is one of top played heroes so it’s super frustrating. Torb needs that rework to minimize the trolling, I agree on that too. Mercy definitely needs to be up there on priority though.

1 Like

As long as Mercy can’t resurrect her whole team, killing her isn’t that important: she won’t be able to stop your ult stack.

Mercy typically needs to be one of the first enemies to die because her healing negates so much damage. For example, Winston has 60 dps and Mercy has 60 hps. Making Winston useless if he doesn’t focus the Mercy. I play a decent amount of Winston too, and the cat and mouse game is super fun. However, if she gets any harder to kill, I just don’t see how Winston can counter her effectively anymore.

The ability to make a target invulnerable is far to strong even for a short time like that and without a cleanse it would just feel Inconsistent.
Also, this is a utility ability. Utility abilities empower Mercy too much as well as:
healing, personal boost, movement and Aoe abilites.

As i said the window is very small.

1 Like

That’s one of the things I appreciated and observed happening more often when Mercy was capable of resurrecting an entire team, ultimate ability economy. Something that’s not seen often these days, I usually observe my team or the enemy team using multiple ultimate abilities all at once unnecessarily.

Well, let’s go point by point.

First of all, single rez is extremely powerful as an ultimate, of course. However, as an ultimate it wouldn’t be so good because of many different reasons.
1- You wouldn’t be able to really change the game
2- You wouldn’t counter anything, so ult combo metas would be uncounterable still.
3- It would still encourage primadonnas, so it would have a lot of toxicity.
4- It would have a lot of bugs yet, like the one that happens when different characters die in the same pixel. When that happens, the roulette starts. Were you trying to rez Rein? Sorry, now you rezzed Widow.
5- It would loose a lot of decision making. One of the best things with mass rez was precisely deciding what was the best moment for rezzing someone. Having just one would encourage to use it as most as you can, usually on your tanks or the other support, depending of the player’s importance to your team. Anyway, the result would be like pocketrezzing the most important player of your team. Furthermore, if you reduce the charge, you would turn Mercy into a rezbot, and that’s not good. Resurrection should be the part of Mercy’s kit that requires more skill to use it the best, next to her bunny hop, which is the only rework’s straight success.
6- As someone said, single rez is way less epic than mass rez.
7- When rez was made an E ability, it was made single because it needed to sacrifice a lot of power for being a simple and normal ability (and yet it wasn’t enough). Being an ultimate, being single it would surely be really underpowered, specially in comparison with any damage ult in the game.

About how to balance mass rez, we have to consider different points. First of all, the game is not the same as before. One of the most common complains about mass rez was a lack of evident counters to it. Now that’s different, because Blizz has created a character whose ultimate could be a hard counter to mass rez, even as it was. Of course, I’m talking about Hammond. Secondly, other changes should be needed, and the most popular by now are LoS and a little cast time. That would add counterplay while stopping rezzes through walls. After that, maybe some other changes should be added to stop hide and rez, that was the main mass rez’s problem. However, I would discard one thing, and that’s slow down. Why? Because Mercy is by definition a mobile support, so immobility has no placement in her kit. That being said, every change to her mass rez should be directed to avoid hide and rez and make it harder to use, and the main excuse for these changes would be the addition of an E ability which would bring her that needed mid game utility.

For that E ability, there are quite a lot of good suggestions. Mini valk is very discussed, but I would discard the chained beams immediately, because that’s what makes Mercy so easy to play now. As its duration would be drastically reduced, her mobility would require a wiser use. Enhanced beams are another option. Other things we have been suggesting are some type of cleanse ability or something like damage reduction used against an enemy character (he would make less damage), something between Sym’s orb and Zen’s discord. We are still working on that idea because by now, it’s possibly the best one we have.

Finally, yes, I’m not a valk’s fan at all. However, that doesn’t mean that I couldn’t consider the idea of moving that ability to another position where it could fit better, and/or where it could make her other abilities fit better, like the rez’s case. If the original Blizz’s rework would have been just some minor nerfs to mass rez and some kind of valkirie on her E, I would have been fine with that.

The point is that giving aoe healing to Mercy and guaranteed survivality with valk has made her good for all situations and too good. Having rez attached to valk would not fix this problem. Yes, she would need to spend a few time with her team for that rez, but that’s all. Also, Blizz said that they don’t want rez and valkirie working together because that causes valkirie to be used only because of the rez.

Finally, giving aoe healing to Mercy, and indeed, similar to Lucio’s is messing that character too, because she can do the same Lucio can, but she has guaranteed survivality because she can be far away of the fight, while Lucio needs to engage with the team.

1- Won’t solve a thing.
2- Okay, so you will have a new support being mandatory, leading us to more complains, nerfs and finally, a situation with two supports almost hitting the mandatory spot. Not the best solution.
3- Makes no sense. Blizz won’t do that.

Yes, it’s true that Mercy is good for every meta, and that’s because her current design is made for that, so her problem is beyond balance. I’ll give you the solution:

4- Rework her in a way that she has weaknesses again and she is not so easy to play now as before the rework. That means removing valk or turning it into her E, moving rez to her ult (with changes) and working on a new E ability if valk has been removed. The rest of her kit stays the same.

Rez makes Mercy powerful, but valk makes her too easy to play and good for any situation because it removes all her weaknesses. Also, rez can’t be removed, as it is 1/3 Mercy’s identity, 100% her signature together with its “Heroes never die!” voice line that doesn’t fit with valk, and has a lot of her lore, sprays, poses, potgs and even real statues around it. That leave us in a place where the only solution is to place it as her ult again. Valk is just an ez mode, so it should be replaced or removed.

Nerfs didn’t solve anything and won’t solve anything. Mercy’s basics and her GA are fine, the main problem she has are valk giving all her hard work for free while having guaranteed survivality and E rez being unbalanceable and bad for everyone, Mercy included. By nerfing her more and more and more, you would only achieve two things: nothing or making her suddenly trash, because she won’t be good at healing nor boosting nor surviving unless she has her ez mode ready.

Please, no more stupid and pointless nerfs. When the problem is the design being so bad that it’s unbalanceable because it’s good for every situation with no drawbacks, the only realistic solution is to rework it. Mercy doesn’t needs to be crushed and crushed until she is irrelevant AND useless. She needs her weaknesses back.

I’m sorry, but when you balance a hero, you must be careful with what you are doing, because if you destroy a character, then complains will be made and people will leave the game. Nerfing her more won’t solve anything, maybe will even enworse the situation, because a lot of people are tired of Mercy receiving nerf after nerf when it’s clear that the rework was a failure and doesn’t need more chances. They have already give it more than 10 between direct and indirect nerfs. I think is high time to do the right things and stop trying to balance the unbalanceable.

Mercy’s boost is not a problem. Hanzo’s ridiculous damage is the problem. There are also quite a lot of things in the game that can burst down a character without boosting, but Hanzo’s damage is ridiculously high. Also, if Mercy hadn’t valk as her ult she could only target one hero at the same time. Giving aoe beams to Mercy was a mistake from the beginning. She was fine being a single target support. That was her main strenght and weakness.

Tbh, that doesn’t change a thing, and indeed, it’s a harsh nerf to Ana, because her nano boost was used mostly with ulting characters. If she can’t boost them, her ult is near to pointless now, unless you target Rein or something similar.

Tbh, she was. During seasons 2 and 3 she had pickrates below 5% with Pharah in her highests since forever and Ana and Lucio around 85%. That’s being trash pick.

That’s because her design was changed, and the rework made her good for every situation by design, so the only solution for this situation is to change her design again. She needs some weaknesses back, as before the rework. I’ve already told you what that means.

You don’t have an idea of how common it is… This one is like the 9th or 10th Mercy megathread, with countless thousands of posts behind (I already lost the count). Imagine this situation for 10 months. So sad.

Definitely not. Just imagine this nightmare. An immune ulting Reaper or Genji or Mccree or Pharah. Beware of giving immunity to your allies.

Thanks for your good replies, Brawl. You came first this time xD.

5 Likes

Man, I wish Mercy had burst healing ability since she is designed to be a 1 target healer, but not this aoe healing ultimate, which is just the improved version of her, well, primary ability. Yes, there a lot of boring ults such as Orisa’s or Ana’s, but at least they are unique and can change the fight dramatically. After all, why would I want to have an ability to fly, when my pistol is only able to kill non-suspecting Widows and surprised Pharahs?

i dont see why a semi offensive ability would not work

its defensive and offensive and i have mentionned it a few times but i’ll paste it again

As i see it mercy is the center around her is her range
The rez should START from the center
people closest to her get rezzed first
people farthest get rezzed later
she has cast time while this happens
She has damage reduction when this happens but no invincibility (the rate can be discussed she is quite squishy)
If she gets killed before the further people are reached over a span of maybe 2-3 seconds the rez interrupts.
THis can mean a couple of things
A) the rez is incomplete the furthest people dont get rezzed
or
B) The rez is incomplete the furthest people have half health
and then there are some other things that could be tweaked or added to how it works
but this seems fair to me

E ability->
Mercy uses a certain DEFENSIVE STANCE with her staff where she absorbs bullets for a while like a zarya bubble (but only from the front like genji’s deflect)
but still take (reduced) damage for 2 seconds
then she can unleash the stored damage when she needs it with reload button where she does an OFFENSIVE STANCE with her staff ,maybe as a sweeping motion with her staff
It could be either damage or pushback.
The damage or strength of the pushback will have decay so she cant have it indefinitly

Can also be used to propel herself 1-2 meters in the air when using angelic descent

I would rather have it res or no res at all…

But the thing is… it would be a bit weird… it would something like 15 metre radius, slow ring effect expanding out to 15 metre.

Extremely long cast time for possibility of killing her, no invincible just damage reduction to allow her to be countered… and no mobility.

Once triggered, you are committed and it is do or die.

the ring has to envelop the entire soul and they are immediately revived.

This means on average only 2 or 3 people is revived at the expense of Mercy who is a free kill during 2 or 3 seconds of frozen mobility.

The revived will be same as usual 1.25 seconds where they cannot shoot and are immune to damage.

i think it can be faster but generally needs a bit of cast time

the full ca-st time is only if they are at the outer ring

if they are close trogether they all benefit from th e short casttime

The problem with making it faster, it would kill the relevance of Expanding Area of Effect…

Example if if takes 1 second to hit 15 metres (original range of mass res), like the original cast time it would take 1 metre per 0.06 second recurring to hit people meaning it is more or less instant.

3 seconds is enough to kill Mercy… but it would be 0.2 seconds per metre to hit people, meaning 1 seconds means everyone within 5 metres, 2 seconds everyone in 10 metres and 3 seconds everyone in 15 metres.

This is actually a reasonable speed

Mercy herself will be locked for 3 seconds, paralysis will last 1.25 seconds upon revival meaning the whole ult would last 4.25 seconds (including the paralysis of the last revived player)

why would mercy be locked?

ii never said she should be slowed down

She already died so much during ult before,she should not be slowed