[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

It would have been. The sheer feature of Rez being canceled is punishment enough.

Are they even thinking about changing Mercy? Are they reading what we type? Or is all of this just a waste of our time?

they have no plans to change her (for now)

and they claim she is fine (because her pickrate is high)

needless to say saying she is fine because the pickrates are high is incorrect,as when she was number 1 she was OP

is it useless to protest? i have no idea

i can only hope to keep the pressure on and make them see and admit they messed up

or even if they dont admit it but readjust her again that would be fine too.

the mercy threads wouldnt keep growing if a large base wasnt this dissatisfied

2 Likes

I guess this answers your question.

I love the argument of “She’s balanced and any changes would make her broken” like imo thats not a good character design then.

Lol I’m not misusing the term, you are just subjecting a very vague statement to just one aspect of Hide and Res/Hide and Seek.

Also not many people are that willing to co-operate and die on point, most just panic and scatter.

You are trying to twist the Hide and Res to just one aspect as oppose to accepting to the fact that there are many forms of it.

Nobody is going to side with you… we’ve been in these Megathreads for 9 months maybe in Megathread 1 we would have agreed but we’ve discussed this for 9 months the idea to blindly listen to the Hide and Res accusation is sheer bias opinion.

Ah,the mind game of “you’re not allowed to play the objective until you kill the hiding Mercy”.
That really didn’t evened out the fact Mercy was a walking ultimate, though. Her main kit remained one dimensional enough to be treated like a walking ultimate.

Mess your rez: You’re the worst Mercy ever.
Sucessfully rez your team: You’re great.

The players impact relied entirely on your ultimate. No one cared how well you healed or how much damage you amplified, it all relied on Rez. [Insert EeveeA rant here]

I for one don’t miss being flamed for Rezzing or not Rezzing, specially since the biggest strategy was to go aggro and die on point. As a flex main, i hated when our Mercy wouldn’t hide before a push on overtime, only for her to reappear and die before triggering overtime, or not even flying in time to trigger it was pretty awful.

Also, can you tell me why Rez doesn’t increases her skill ceiling? The fact that Mercy players struggle for their own actions when using the ability shouls be the biggest indicator that her ceiling was raised.

1 Like

I agree the two charges was definitely handy but one can actually argue that it was more OP than the original mass res and I hate to admit it, but I do agree with some of the Pro player logic behind not wanting instant individual res.

A Mass Res is designed to undo one big mistake whilst the individual is designed to undo any mistake no matter when it occurs.

That potential makes the Individual Target Skill res more powerful because it can undo any major advantage at the start of engagement.

I mean, that was also said when the idea of a Re-work was announced.

“She’s balanced and needs no changes! Nerfing Rez would literally break her!”

1 Like

Ikr lmao when the Mercy Rework was announced all the Mercy mains said she would be Underpowered and Useless. I have a post on the old forums where I said “Guys I think Mercy will be strong after her rework, let’s give it a chance” that got like 60 downvotes. And then we proceeded to have Mercy meta for 6 months.

But the house isn’t burning anymore

That is my point

Just because you personally preferred your old house doesn’t mean you don’t have a place now, and it certainly doesn’t mean you’re justified in burning your second home down just because “lol let’s find somewhere else”.

Again
They
Didn’t
Leave
It
Alone

They took 5 months to fix it and finally did. There’s no point in fixing what ain’t broke anymore, especially when you know for a fact now that it can lead to more dumpster fires.

This is true no matter the iteration of Mercy… Her Res is powerful but like have mentioned, her Healing is incredibly strong.

Mercy is fully capable of Solo Healing the team and a good Mercy can deny death on Healing. If the enemy team is unable to handle Mercy or they are unable to pressure the team to force their Mercy to res, then that proves there is an evident skill gap between the two teams.

One team is completely outgunning the other.

This is why Mercy was such an underestimated hero. I even admit my mistake was allowing her to live if I was flexing onto other roles. Every second she is alive, the more advantages the opposing team has. Mercy is too powerful to be ignored, here healing is way too strong to be passed off as insignificant.

Another important factor to the whole you must kill Mercy is that it is true a dead Mercy is useless, but one of the fundamental issues with this game is the number of One Trick DPS players.

Like yay, well done you learnt to play just one damage dealing hero… but at least do your job.

I agree when one of the Pro’s mentioned in an interview that it is vital that a player knows what they they are doing and reduce the number of mistakes they make as well as fulfil the role that they are taking.

To class Overwatch as a basic FPS is sheer ignorance. Overwatch has MMORPG elements mixed into it, so you can’t just go pew pew and spray your bullets left right and centre hoping it will land.

A Tank needs to be able to hold their ground and somewhat absorb some some damage as they take aggro. They primary role is to create space for their team, by pushing in and making that room for others on their team to play.

Damage Dealers need to follow up on their tank and fulfil a role of picking off vital targets. Ideally they need to be flexing around enemy choices and maintain the advantage. Target Priority is key and eliminations are vital to bring your team to a successful victory.

Supports exist to enhance their teams basic performance by keeping them in the game as long as possible and stalling their inevitable deaths.

Therefore, players who play their Genji’s and only ever poke a Roadhog and not the Mercy behind them is basically costing their team time and manpower.

A Hit Scan not keeping Pharah in check is allowing the Pharah to rain down on them.

A player playing something like Hanzo/Junkrat and there is a Pharah or something that can counter them hard are basically not fulfilling the role of DPS.

Like if DPS can deal damage fast and eliminate enough to make the choice insignificant then yay, well done but so far I’ve seen more try hard failures than I’ve seen successes.

1 Like

Jeff Kaplan on Mercy: "We have no plans to revert Mercy. We also feel like she’s not in a horrible place or unplayable. "

This is good news to me, personally. I look forward to the dev’s opinions on Mercy once the dust settles.

Personally I want valk to 12 seconds, and res to be an earned ability with about the same earn rate as valk.

(Valk giving the potential for multiple resses earned via chained beams, but still having the cast time)

So still on average about the same amount of resses, but making the hero feel and flow better.

No more insta-res at the start of the game.
(Makes picks have more value)
Not the only hero with a CD through death.
Not the longest CD in the game.
No more “wait for res then go”

These were EeveeA_'s thoughts about Mercy. As she has a crazy ammount of time on Mercy, I feel like we can acknowledge the fact that she might know the best way to balance Mercy and keep her fun for both sides.

1 Like

took 8 months to fix her actually… and it was just a temporary fixed… honestly if they cared they know Mercy isn’t ok.

Stat wise, on paper she is fine, but one could argue old Mercy was fine because the stats are similar.

Mercy is still a strong Healer but what annoyed DPS players was their incompetence at dealing with her. Like I agree, Invulnerable Res was a fault, but then does that mean the die on res was better? Why did they even go back to the Die on Res feature anyways?

Until there is a viable Strong healer to substitute Mercy, Mercy will still be a winning choice. I dislike her… but there no denying that we need her Healing more so than any other Support in this game.

1 Like

The reason is that they aren’t fixing Mercy they trying to water down the fire they have started. Mercy isn’t unplayable but she is a horrible character to play with 1/3 of her kits being functional.

The idea they will not revert is sheer hypocrisy because they once said this…

Resurrect

• While performing a resurrection, Mercy now becomes temporarily invulnerable along with the allies being revived

Developer Comments: Mercy’s Resurrect has always been very powerful, but it often forces her to sacrifice herself to use it well. There have been changes in the past that attempted to help her in this area, but haven’t done enough to solve it. This change means that once she uses the ability, she will always survive long enough to be with her team again.

So which is arguably better?

Original Res where she was vulnerable trading herself for 1~5 players
or
Current Skill Res where you trade 1 for 1 if it she dies but succeeds in casting?

2 Likes

People thanked me many times for the heals and rez was more like a nice highlight inbetween. Mercy was to reliant on rez I do agree with that but it would have been nice to tone down mass-rez and give her utility like Ana, Zen and Lucio had back then. I remember people arguing about supports and Mercy was always the worst because she had no utility.
Of course teammates were happy about a good Mercy healing them but they definitly prefered an Ana, Zen or Lucio.

I dont really understand how putting heavy restrictions putting on an ability raises the skill ceiling. You have a super long cooldown which stays the same if you have the game of your life as GM Mercy or just troll around in bronze. The casttime with almost 2 seconds is ok even though you cant cancel it but the 75% slowdown just contradicts Mercys otherwise fluid movement.
Would it raise Tracers skill ceiling aswell if she cant move for 2 seconds after every blink and recall? I dont think so.
I mean yes rez is powerfull af but maybe if you have to put all these heavy penalties upon it we should put it back as some form of ult. Ultimates are fine to be powerfull because you have to charge and earn them through out your normal gameplay.
I dont want Mercy OPAF and she doesnt have to be the highest skill char ever but I do think Blizzard could have made something much better.

2 Likes

She was certainly not an underestimated hero, maybe her base kit was but not the hero as whole. Consistent healing is great an all but, instantly turning the tide of a match with a button press is more important.

Which only ended making Mercy a higher priority than playing the objective (hence “You’re not allowed to play the game until Mercy dies”) because killing a single Mercy meant killing 5 other people too. Mercy, thanks to instant Mass Rez, had too much power and that made her a bigger target than she should had been, hence Mercy being too vulnerable in a teamfight.

Being that vulnerable in a brawly teamfight only encouraged Mercy to let the fight go, end and then jump in for Rez, or Risk yourself for a Tempo Rez.

Mercy dictated how the game should be played thanks to Rez having no counterplay, you were forced to kill her before committing, and even then, in certain maps or last checkpoints you couldn’t kill her first and risk her having respawn only to rez anyway. You had to kill her third or kill her eleventh. So it made Mercy hunting a necessity and put too much pressure on the Mercy player, since the survivability of her team relied on her Rez and the push of her enemy team relied on her too.

If you give up then it will be a waste of time. Even if we’re shoved into a corner for now keep at it. If anything its good writing practice and you might just run into someone worth conversing with. :smiley:

2 Likes

Mass Rez should have a cast time before it activates in order provide counter-play which then makes successfully pulling it off more satisfying while the opponent learns to capitalize on the cast time.

With a cast time that lessens that situation a big play is possible, but also a big shutdown is too. That type of play is more engaging since the stakes are much higher.

That risk is the bread for the butter of reward. Right now Mercy remains as vulnerable as before, but now with that big play potential. Risk is good since it makes success feel rewarding while failure is more to be learned from.

This why a cast time works to remediate that issue of counterplay as part one of several to make it so that Mercy can make the team saving play, but must stay in the fight for it to happen.

Now you don’t have the option at all, so it is no better. The pressure hasn’t subsided, but now just feels as abuse for all the past issues that occurred.

With changes to the Resurrection Ultimate these issues would be solvable while still allowing the experience of being a team savior.

1 Like

Mercy had utility on her kit, that utility being damage boost. And yes, blizzard did try to make it more impactful, they increased the damage amplifying % stat, but it ended making DPS heroes literal Gods, so they backed away from the idea in the PTR. So it remained as how it is, but you could reliably get faster ult charge with healing, so that ended up making her a healbot. (Since dmg boost only gave you ult charge depending on the amount of damage your ally does, compared to healing, where she always heals at 60hps with no downtime.)

As for the skill ceiling, having a high skill ceiling means that players have to invest themselves on learning how to do their thing since it’s harder to be effective. High skill abilities are often a great example of a bad/decent main and a great main.

Think Ana, one of the reasons she has a high skill ceiling is because of sleep dart being her primary and only means of protection. It is very hard to land and if you fail, you’ll get punished for it. Not to mention it can be baited and it’s CC utility is cancelled by 1 single damage point taken.

If sleepdart was an ability anyone can pull off because its instant, with added autoaim and can’t be cancelled, Ana’s skill ceiling would be lowered, since skill ceiling is a term for “the maximum level of power/potency a hero can have”. If anyone can reach the skill ceiling of a hero from the very skill floor, you can say that that hero has little to no room for player growth and inprovement. Which means newer players can be as effective/powerful as someone that has improved long enough to be at the top.

That is why Rez increases the skill ceiling of Mercy, anyone can try to Rez on lower ranks,and chances are you’ll get them but if you don’t improve, when you reach higher ranks you won’t be able to pull them off so easily anymore. So that Means there is a bigger room for improvement for the player’s skill to grow on, because Rez is not unusable or impossible to do if the top player (Ark) can do it.

Increasing the skill ceiling of a hero inherently means you have to make them have harder mechanics and restraints the player has to overcome in order to use the maximum potential of a hero.