[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

I didn’t say she’s only used for widow pocket, I said she’s mostly used for that. Mercy is still a good hero, she is balanced right now. The pros take advantage of her purely because of reliable healing and res. They don’t use her for Valkyrie. Mercy is especially good at diving with the team due to her low cooldown on GA. Valkyrie is the worst ultimate in the support category (symmetra doesn’t count.) All other support ultimates contribute a burst of healing, or, in Lucio’s case, a burst of temporary health. Valkyrie’s problem is that the healing output is the same as her base kit. Sure there’s chain heals, but when would there ever be a time where Mercy is better than Moira in a comp where your whole team would be grouped up? I mean, Moira’s ultimate is much better than Mercy’s, and it will charge way faster because of everyone grouped up. My problem with Mercy is that she can’t make plays anymore. All other supports can make plays, but Mercy can’t. Her only real playmaking ability is res, but it’s very rare to get one off midfight due to the slow cast time and the vulnerability during it.

TL;DR: The pros would not utilize Mercy nearly as much if she didn’t have resurrect as an E.

How many mega threads have we had talking about the same subject…

Blizzard… do us all a favor, fix Mercy. Resurrect needs to be her ultimate ability not a standard ability. Revert the changes. Re-work the character so resurrect is her ultimate ability and add a small window for people to try and stop resurrect.

This current design is bad, really bad.

19 Likes

Valk is boring as hell, both thematically and gameplay wise. Resurrect was a fun ultimate and made you feel like a big hero. I don’t know why the balance team decided to completely do away with such an iconic and fun ultimate instead of trying to balance it into something more interactive and less braindead. People argue that Valk is more engaging, but really all you do is fly above your team and hold m1. Maybe go for a kill on a stationary Widow. It’s not fun and it requires zero skill (which is what the rework was supposed to introduce). And res feels clunky as hell after all the nerfs. Idk what you guys were thinking making res a regular ability - it took you months just to get it balanced right, but it still feels awful to play with. Honestly, the only good Mercy change since the rework was the added bunny-hopping, and that wasn’t even intended!

Most people either want Resurrect back, and I’d be happy with that if they made some changes to it to make it not so cheap (eg. make it line of sight). I also wouldn’t mind if they gave her a new ult entirely, something akin to Lucio/Zen’s thats powerful and lets her make clutch plays, but needs to be timed right to make the most use of it and not be wasted.

9 Likes

“Thank you for your patience. Your call is important to us. Please remain on the line.”

3 Likes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s5yHUpumkY

Section 1 Issue: Duration

Since the duration is 15 seconds good timing isn’t rewarded and you can just as well use the Ultimate to travel from spawn or when your knocked off the side of the map. It will last through the majority of fights even if its not timed well. That’s ok that works that way, but it should not make her stronger by making her “easier” to play it should make her require quick decision making with limit reasources that stronger. That is what would improve the engagement of Valkyrie.

Section 2 Issue: CHAINED BEAMS

It just the Core Kit with less thought required and it appear that the healing on average is no more than pre-rework.
So its less engaging because its less of a challenge to heal everyone or DMB for 15 seconds. She’s not hard mechanically I don’t find it engaging to have thoughtfulness reduced too!

Section 3 Issue: Blaster

Just means that I don’t have to predict enemy movements as much, so less thoughtful again, but it doesn’t detract too much since its hard to hit with to begin with.

Just means I don’t have to manage a reasource and use it wisely, so less thoughtful again.

Section 4 Issue: Flight

Flight is overrated and clunky at worse to use (in its current form). Flight could be cool if the speed went in bursts you could control, but at current its passive and you just have WASD in 3D which isn’t very thoughtful. It looks more cool to everyone who doesn’t play Mercy (if she isn’t hiding around a corner).

Section 5 Issue: Guardian Angel

GA speed in Valk is nearly the same as outside of it, so it doesn’t feel that fast because you don’t go much faster and the movement speed that I don’t get to control in any interesting fashion so it’s just another passive.

Increased GA range is also just another passive that isn’t a great option to use because you move predictively for a longer time if and only if there is a teammate in the distance. Thou since it isn’t much faster you’re just as well off just flying without GA at distance, so that is a non-factor.

Section 5 Issue: Regeneration

Not nothing but not engaging either, so less thoughtful again. All this does is make her annoying to deal with from the ground, but it doesn’t allow you to take full avantage of the flight since if you take any focus fire you are dead, so you have duck around corners which is ackward to do given the way you move in flight.

Section 6 Issue: What’s Really Being Said

If you read what people with thought out ideas are saying you would see they are shifting power away from passives that take less thought to use and move the current power to active abilities.

AKA get rid of the passiveness/less required thought in Valkyrie (make it have more bursts that you control). While at it remove the single dimensionality of Resurrect, and also put Resurrect back in the Ultimate only.

Section 7 not an Issue: Agreement

Cool we agree on something…

Potential Solutions

Point by point

Section 1 Solution: Duration: can remain

• It can stay the same unless the changes below for some reason are not limited enough in the scope of their power.
  • Possible reduce duration to 12 seconds

Section 2: Chained Beams: remove and make a better heal beam

• Remove them too thoughtless of an ability stat that is passive in effect, and I want my quick decision making more clearly rewarded.
  • Replace with single target only beam that is stronger for healing (120 HPS), but DMB should just remain the same. Similar inkind to EeveeA’s suggestion.

Section 3: Blaster: faster fire rate but limited ammo

• Remove unlimited ammo, so that Blaster can be stronger in fire rate and keeping the projectile speed, but require more thought in its resourceful use.
  • Increase the clip size from 20 to 24 and increase fire from 5 shots/sec to 6 shots/sec much inkind to EeveeA’s idea, but modified so that shooting will empty the clip in the same amount of time as normal (it takes 4 seconds to empty the clip normally).
  • This means there are limits placed on the use of the blaster so that it isn’t spamed, but feels more powerful to use.
  • Increase in damage per clip by this change: from normal 400 damage to 480 damage (if all shots hit).

Section 4: Flight

• Regular Flight speed stays the same 9 meters/sec as live
  • Angelic Decent (Spacebar) while moving moving in a direction allows you to slow down Flight from 9 meters/sec to 5 meters/sec to position more percisely.
  • Angelic Decent (Spacebar) can push you backwards when hovering possibly with a knockback effect.
  • Guardian Angel (Shift) can be used without a teammate for increased Flight Speed from 9 meters/sec to 15 meters/sec for a max 2 seconds, but goes on cooldown if used.

If the main selling point of Valkyrie is “FLIGHT” then let it have more flight controls such as slowing it or speeding it up (bursts of speed).

Section 5: Guardian Angel

• Trade off the extended GA range for the modifications provided above in Section 4: Flight.

Section 6: Resurrect

• Only can be used during Valkyrie as Resurrect as a trade for a reduced cast time from 1.75 second to second 0.8 second.
  • Resurrect becomes a 100HP burst heal without cast time on a 20 second cooldown that resets on death and uses the Resurrect animation (basically go to a teammate before they die and you can still be healing someone else).
4 Likes

That would be nice…

2 Likes

I completely agree with every sentence in your post. I think you put it better than I could. Thanks.

2 Likes

JEFF REVERT MERCY! PLEASE!:sob:

10 Likes

In the meantime… still no reply from the OP here in regards to some of our replies/quotes regarding the feeling that we’re being ignored. They’ve been on today a few times from what I’ve observed, so if that’s not a sure sign that we’re being ignored deliberately then I don’t know what is. I know what it is though, highly disrespectful to segregate the community pretty much, to hide away discussion on Mercy and ignore it.

Its in the summary? I dunno… considering it been only like what a month or 2 for it to gain another 10k post… i guess they had to water the flames and stop it hitting 30k…

I means where are we now… we more or less at 60~70k post in total with all past megathreads.

Meanwhile… me, you, Rixt, Macster and Rosebite etc have feed back regularly with random so and so coming in with their OH LOOK AT MY IDEA that we already suggested and refined months ago…

To be honest… it wouldn’t kill @TomPowers and @JeffKaplan actually feed back some bullet points to what they summarised from the previous Megathread to show they are at least reading or considering points/ideas.

3 Likes

You didn’t remember when, also if the Mass Rez ultimate, she wasn’t a must pick.

3 Likes

Yes, please… I would like to see a return to a “clutch” Ultimate on Mercy and no more of this ridiculous Resurrect as a common ability.

2 Likes

The dev team’s ignorance of this thread is disgusting.

Agreed.

I personally believe that they won’t listen to negative feedback that often because there’s only so much constructive criticism they can take; at a point of low constructive criticism, their egos need to re-inflate and say things like Doomfist being a success. But that’s just me.

5 Likes

I think they’re just unable to accept criticism and ignore feedback because one thread has a modicum of criticism while the others are all like “it’s the community’s fault devs are perfect”.

2 Likes

We can only say the same things so many times…

If they really want us to believe that they are reading the thread, then they need to prove it. List some ideas from the thread in quotes that are interesting, make a list of player complaints about Mercy, or post an idea that the devs had for Mercy that we could discuss and think on.

7 Likes

Of course you can! I just now went back and tidied up the post a bit for better flow, I’m pretty proud of it if I do say so myself :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Done! now it’s in my backup! muahahhaha

But Valkyrie doesn’t make Mercy’s healing on a single target any stronger. 60hps can easily be outdamaged by decent aim, and is obliterated by focus fire. Forget countering ults with it.

Heroes always die under Valkyrie. I want my epic clutch ult back.

6 Likes

Umm… I might have edited that post again to add some addendum notes that I forgot to put in there the first time around. It’s the final time I’ll edit that post, I swear! :dizzy_face: