[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Mass res was vulnerable to lag spikes. If instead it was related to player being recently buffed by Mercy, those issues could be avoided.

Yep, this is basically all we would need.

Jeff words are not final, he said Genji deflect hitbox was fine before, and said also they would never put some deatchmatch mode on Overwatch.

Devs (don’t remember who) said yet that they have both ends of spectrum (both who play and who play against) when they balance a character. (Mercy, Roadhog, Bastion, Ana players and some else want to have a word here)

6 Likes

You may have to go more in depth with your idea, i don’t really undestand it now.
Give me some numbers and such so that i could imagine it better.

I was talking with someone more about that idea and we came to the conclusion that even that might be too much. But we also thought that a simple change to GA would do that well enough.
The idea is that if GA has no target that you can use it as a vertical jump which makes the CD slightly longer.

2 Likes

There’s no contradiction. We aren’t whining about the nerfs, they were deserved, we are whining that this so called successful rework will never work as shown with 8 nerfs to reach a pseudo-balanced state, yet people still want nerfs.

I don’t know what to say anymore…
Just read the entire megavoid you’ll find these specific ideas and complaints.
I mean we voiced our opinions and explained what we want through 60k+ post, as Blizz asked. Yet noone aknowlegdes it, it’s always “you just want her op again”, “blizz already answered”, “they’ll never revert her”, and now “give specific ideas”, rinse repeat.

I’m sorry, if anyone shouldn’t be taken seriously here it’s you.

This comment from Jeff was an aswer to this thread:

As you can see, viability/pickrates/winrates were never mentionned, yet Jeff decided to spread his numbers and use it as a smokescreen. He didn’t answer, he dodged the question. And now people think he answered this in the megavoid, and start to use it as an argument to say “hE AlReAdY aNsWeReD”…

Sorry if I sound rude, but I’m tired of repeating myself everyday while noone seems to listen.

5 Likes

I only ask for old damage boost beam to come back. It felt sturdy, and new one is messy, and feels like it was made quickly.

New one was made just for streams.

Devs are no longer devs, they are managers, with simple goal - profits. And when you tell them that something is unfun, they actually have no clue: “what are they talking about, numbers are in order, so everything should be fine.”

4 Likes

Which contradicts the fact that Mercy’s “numbers” were also fine before the whole rework. So if numbers are everything … why weren’t they when they reworked Mercy?

Because the devs are a bunch of liars who only listen to what they want to hear.
(This statement might earn me a suspension. But it’s true nonetheless. I’ll risk it.)

6 Likes

Naw, cause that would mean they actually read the megathread (tbh I think this is probably the safest place to talk smack about the devs.)

6 Likes

It’s incredible like this thread is unpinned only during weekends :joy::joy:

1 Like

As some maybe know i made a poll about Mercy which was asking “Which Mercy was better”. It was more focused on the aspect of balance. I said that this is not about her Fun factor, but what players think is more balanced.
Valkyrie Mercy or Resurrect Mercy.

Interestingly, the majority (and i mean with that more than 2/3 of the votes) thinks that Mass Res, overall, was the for the game healthier thing.

9 Likes

No, sorry. There is a basic rule for Mercy that you can’t break because if you do so, that’s contradicting her own character. Mercy is a mobile support. So, if you give her an ability that IMMOBILIZES her, that’s bad design and has no placement in her kit. Just fyi, this type of mechanic existed long ago for her mass rez and it was removed for good because it was unhealthy design, and she was a free kill all the time.

Resurrect is a game changing ability, okay, but you know why? Because rez, no matter where you put it, is an ultimate and can’t be balanced in any other place. As it is right now, it breaks her own game, forces her to disengage, stop doing her job and hide, and it contradicts the most basic concept of Mercy as a character.

Now about counterplay, mass rez had counterplay, but it wasn’t a counterplay that even the worst player could see. It wasn’t a Stone, Paper and Scissors game, as it happens with Sym’s turrets for example (use Winston and that’s all folks). I’ll give you an example of how mass rez was countered.

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7lKTpddHWM&t=480s

7:57-8:11. Mass rez countered by a so hard to play character as Junkrat… How? Easy. It’s called playing smart and using your resources wisely instead of just smash all your buttons at the same time.

Finally, people are suggesting changes to mass rez for giving it more counterplay, you know? Valkirie is straight bad design because it gives for free all Mercy’s work, lowering her skill ceiling to the floor and making her incredibly easy to play and master, so she has such a ridiculously high pickrates now. She is like a zero star character now instead of one star, and that’s a terribly serious problem. Also, she has no weakness now, excepting that she can’t save her team at all, another design issue. Current rez is unbalanceable and bad design, so the only solution left is to rework her again, because buffs or nerfs won’t fix anything. She has been already nerfed 8 times and she still has the same pickrates, but she is “balanced”, so the problem now is beyond balance. Balancing mass rez was too easy, but they never tried. However, after almost one year of constant changes to her current form, we can confidently conclude that it is simply unbalanceable, and that’s bad design too.

E rez must go, and be turned into her ultimate again (of course, with changes), because Mercy has too much of her identity and signature around rez, so it can’t be removed. On the other hand, Valkirie has nothing to do with her and it can be either turned into her E ability or disappear and be replaced by another E ability that makes Mercy more interesting to play.

Sadly, that doesn’t change a thing, you know. The only thing they will achieve is that everyone in here will start posting outside, so probably a Mercy complain’s storm is coming…

I have a crazy idea too, but I hope I’m wrong. Maybe they have unpinned the mega thread only because they don’t want it to be so easily seen as before. It was embarrasing for everyone having all the time mega threads since the rework started with posts being merged every week and without any type of official Blizz’s response in it. That’s why so many people think Blizz systematically ignores the mega threads.

That’s more or less my dream too…

I’ll correct you. Valkirie was poor game design, that’s why it got entirely removed and replaced by mass rez even before game’s release. Rez with huge slow down and huge cast time at the same time is poor game design, and that’s why it got reworked and made instant. Mass rez was not poor game design, so it endured without any problem for almost two years, something that this design hasn’t had for even one day. This current design is poor because it contradicts Mercy as a character and forces her to break her own game and search a place to hide, unlike before the rework, when she at least could choose her own playstyle between playing agressive and engaging or playing passive and hiding.

Yes, hiding was a problem, but if you could play her otherwise and that way had no problem, that wasn’t enough of a reason for reworking her, it needed only QoL changes because an exploit is just that, an exploit, and exploits can be easily fixed without messing a character, unlike they did with the rework.

I remember that idea from previous mega threads. Despite I’m not very sure if it could work (at first it would need something to stop Mercy reviving the same character over and over, maybe), I could give it a try. At least, it’s better than what we have now…

And now she is at her must-pick level again despite her being “”""""""“balanced”"""""""" and even the pros and youtubers are starting to say that mass rez was healthier for the game than this current design. Your point?

Oh, and of course, that response was from a post that was merged here, not directly written here.

Well, technically or not, he said plenty of things that were not true in the end. No Deathmatch? Have it. Blizz having no plans to rework Torbjorn? It seems they have. Also, you are basing all your argument on an old post from some months ago, before Mercy’s pickrate skyrocketed once more and everyone got nuts because of her unbalanceable state since she got reworked and because of the uncounterable and pretty easy ults combos. Just watch this video and stop living off a single statement, please.

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=396&v=e81VrrBx-bQ

Well, I don’t know where that was made, but according to Blizz’s history, that was true. They replaced valkirie by mass rez before Ow’s release because it was healthier for the game. Also, as YourOverwatch has said in his latest video, removing mass rez has made some ult combos too powerful and even uncounterable (or near to it). Overwatch was a game about counters, and removing counters should have never been an option.

P.S.: Wow! I have seen that pool’s results and people considering mass rez Mercy better than the current one are almost a 70%! That’s a huge majority.

7 Likes

About risky abilities: reason why Zenyatta is so common, unlike Lucio, is because his ult is instant cast. For ults, that have to be activated in response to enemy ult, cast time is just silly.

Unfortunately for us, it was only hard counter to enemy ult spam. Transcendence and sound barrier are soft counters: they can be overwhelmed by sufficient damage.

5 Likes

I would rather have Rez back as ult but that was another idea people on reddit have

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/mercy-s-resurrect-could-ve-been-the-reverse-mccree-deadeye/132348/44

Just going to put this here again.

I can’t believe this thread is still going, unpopular opinion but I love Mercy’s current state and instead of changing her yet again, I’d rather they focus on other aspects of the game.

The new LFG, endorsements, Sym’s rework and them looking at other forgotten heroes in a step in the right direction.

:two_hearts::kiss:

This thread probably will go until.
a) They change Mercy to a better one.
b) The game itself die.
c) They delete this thread and new ones comes to place.

10 Likes

Whoosh.

14 Likes

Hello there.

How is nerfing going? xd