[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Mercy was only safe on her current ledge because Winston didn’t know she was there. If she switched to the tower, she’d be much more visible… then Winston would leap up there to clear her off, forcing Mercy to jump down to the ground where Tracer is waiting. You have to think several steps ahead as Mercy.

Soldier was still out of Mercy’s beam range when he originally requested healing, but once he got into range she healed him.

Telling people that rez is ready is one way of reminding people to not spread out too far, or else Mercy won’t be able to bring them back. It’s radius is only fifteen meters.

4 Likes

While it’s hard to argue with this, old rez was kind of more dependent on Mercy’s team, rather than her proactivity - outside of successful guesses about enemy ults.

See it this way, you spend 15 mins mopping a floor and when you’re done, I throw a bucket of mud into the room and you can start all over again.

That was the Mercy mass ress

It still gave her a heroic moment that she earned through good survival skills, proper beam juggling, and advanced gamesense.

Though I won’t deny that Mercy desperately needed a non-teammate dependent ability in her kit. It’s why one of the most popular forum topics pre-reowrk was “Mercy E idea/Mercy need an E ability”

4 Likes

Um no, it was being compared in terms of aloud/acceptable usage… The common area that is pretty obvious, is that they all save a point that would be lost from the safety of spawn with no counter play.

Way to twist things, then talk about a irrelevant topic…

Ever stop to think that you had to spend just as much effort “gathering the mud” in time as the other guy did on mopping? Or that the mud could often be immediately cleaned back up if someone kept a pressure washer stocked instead of going overkill and using the entire tank in one go?

2 Likes

Overwatch is the only game I’ve ever played with a mass team rez mechanic. I joined at the end of the season 5 so I got to experience old Mercy for a round 2 weeks before the change.

The old rez did feel special and iconic especially with the “heroes never die” voiceline.

Tbh, 8 months later, I’m still not sure which I prefer, current Mercy or old Mercy. I mean whenever it comes to balance, I always check the numbers, and even today Mercy is the top 3 most played hero across all 7 tiers, so maybe the rework was a good idea after all. I don’t play Mercy so I can only provide an outsider’s pov of her actual kit, but judging by the statistics, she’s still extremely popular.

1 Like

Well…from what I’ve heard, Mercy was struggling with her win-rate in the higher ranks when she had her Mass Res on PC, leaving Zenyatta and Lucio to be the only go-to Supports the higher you climbed.

Meanwhile on Console, Mercy was a mandatory must-pick across all ranks and many a match was decided on who could get the most impact from Mass Res.

Not only that but Mass Res sort of enabled a playstyle that most people and the developers found to be harmful to the game in the long-run, as not only did Resurrection require Mercy’s teammates to die in battle but it also wasn’t something that could be countered reactively and was instead countered in a proactive manner.

Feeling as though Mercy’s current iteration wasn’t really doing her any good, Blizzard decided to give her a rework.

Granted, said rework changed the feel of Mercy that many Mercy-Mains enjoyed when playing her but it comes with her performance and statistics actually improving as a result.

Whether or not the rework was a success or not purely lies within the perception of the player, I for one just hope that Ana finds a role in the game outside of a healer for tanks and that Symmetra actually gets a better way to support her team.

3 Likes

Yea that was a load of crap and terrible I can’t deny that. However, the problem of her stepping out of spawn and brining the team back I would consider to be a problem with map design and not hero design.

1 Like

its like why didn’t they just tweak her to make mass rez fair, like no hide and seek (sorry to the toxic mercy one tricks that haven’t touched a dps ever who say “well dps just have to shoot the mercy while shes invincible and flying in from one of the xtreme hiding places we looked up on utub that no one knows” or behind a wall or under the floor that’s not fair) They should have just tweaked line of sight and stuff and hide seek mercy would be history

Nope, the bucket of mud was just there in the room, waiting to be used. You didn’t see the bucket because it was behind the door, so you used everything you had to finish the job and go home, but I was waitig for just the right moment to spit in your face for all the work you had done.

What, so the bucket just magically filled with mud?

Quit treating Mercy like an NPC.

1 Like

maybe the less people the longer it takes to build up or a E that would compliment it cause think about it probably like 4 people on point all on one mercy and she would be over

This argument claims that Mercy’s 1 ult takes “just as much effort” to build as an ult-stack and teamwipe from an entire enemy team. It’s linguistically pleasing but fundamentally flawed when it comes to matter-of-fact.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a bucket that fills itself with mud from 0% to 100%, it just takes some time and the bucket has all the time in the world because you’re working hard to mop that floor.

I think that was precisely the problem here.

All of the other ultimate abilities in the game can have their impact negated by regular standard abilities or primary fire. (IE. Transcendence & Biotic Grenade, Self Destruct & Reinhardt’s Barrier, Graviton Surge & Defense Matrix)

Mass Res was a powerful ultimate that had to be countered proactively instead of reacting to it.

Holding your ultimates for a Mass Res that may or may not happen isn’t the best idea when you need to make a push. Also…you’re not guaranteed to get an immediate team-wipe out of an Attack/Defense hero ultimate.

Sure the holding two ultimates might have been able to work out but it’s highly impractical for the amount of input the Mercy player had to do in order to actually get the Mass Res off.

Not only that, but Mass Res wasn’t really doing Mercy any favors statistically so if they didn’t rework it then, Mercy probably was going to get reworked later on.

Every ultimate can be countered by saving a few ultimates.

Mass Res was the only one that could be countered this way.

In fact, I’d argue that it wasn’t countered because regardless, Mass Res would succeed 100% of the time.

You’d only kill her team after Mass Res finished its job.

A lot of bucket metaphors going on…not sure what a lot of it means anymore :confused:

2 Likes

“Teammates needing to die first is problematic” could have been solved by buffing rez to affect living teammates with a burst heal.

The “unstoppable” complaint about rez could have been solved with a cast time.

“hide n rez” was an SR exploit that actively sabotaged your team. Anyone who played to win didn’t use it.

You could reactively counter mass rez with almost any offensive ultimate in the game. It gave you two seconds to set up your counter-ult, while the enemy couldn’t shoot back or run away.

1 Like

You can’t counter something that’s already finished.

Killing people after Mass Res already got off is not being reactive. Being reactive means doing something as it’s occurring.

You can’t kill revived players until Mass Res was done.

You couldn’t actually STOP Mercy from using Mass Res like you can now. It was instant, it had invincibility frames and no cast time.

Every other ultimate can be countered while it’s active or being cast, Mass Res couldn’t.

I’m not going to argue about this.

We were arguing about hide n rez. He thought it was the default way to play Mercy.

I disagreed with him, and further argued that the Mercy player worked hard for the rezzes she got.

He disagreed and… I think he said that mass rez didn’t require any skill to get, and just appeared on its own like it was on a cooldown instead of being an ult that Mercy needed to charge.

I disagreed, and accused him of viewing Mecy players as NPCs.

1 Like