[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Against teams that don’t have focus fire or ofence ultimates ready

None of those would do anything 1v6.
Mercy on the other hand had no counter play, save for not allowing her to press the button to begin with.

If you’ve caused the enemy team to have to use 2-3 ultimates due to your 1 Valkyrie, you’ve now taken a huge advantage back for your team. Additionally, Valkyrie lasts longer than pretty much every other ultimate, right? Get out of sight for a second. Now they’re either wasting time trying to track you down while your team has numbers, or your team gives some space to the enemy while the enemy ults expire, and you guys move on in. Communicate a little bit. Then counter.

But you see, if you force the enemy team to use 2-3 ults, where’s your team?
Dead. (or, they traded 2-3 more ults back)

What can you do?
Er… fly back to spawn?

1 Like

Assuming you lose that engagement, which isn’t an automatic unless you’re a defeatist… Communicate with your team. Hold your ults. Even if you wipe, now you’ll have the big advantage next engagement.

Let’s fact check this, shall we?

Per game statistics:

Mercy:
393 damage (Not subtracting damage dealt in Valkyrie) = 393 charge.
11926 healing (Not subtracting healing dealt in Valkyrie) = 9540.8 charge.
555 damage amplified (Not subtracting amplification in Valkyrie) = 1603.333 charge.
3000 passive gain over 10 minutes.
Total charge: 14537.133
Charge requirement: 1950.
Ultimates/game: 7.45.

Zenyatta:
8644 damage = 8644 charge.
6911 healing - 2090 Transcendence healing = 6363.72 charge.
3000 passive gain over 10 minutes.
Total charge: 18007.72
Charge requirement: 2075.
Ultimates/game: 8.68.

Zenyatta’s ultimate charges faster than Mercy’s even when we include the statistics gained by Mercy’s Valkyrie. So no, you are wrong. Zenyatta has the better ultimate and has it more often.

9 Likes

How about all the stall heavy heroes like Mei or Reaper?

Valkyrie dosen’t force out ults though, if the enemy has any semblance of focus fire they can shoot right through the healing from Valk like it’s a damn shield generator.

8 Likes

Mercy is the most team reliant support. Her survival was very dependent on her team before the rework. It’s like everything relies on her team now. It’s annoying. I’m all for teamwork, but this is beyond what it should require.

7 Likes

A pretty good topic,too bad the devs will just lock it away and continue to ignore all mercy feedback. Valkyre just got turned in the worst and most boring ult in the game,they shoudnt have replaeced mass rezz for it in the first place.

2 Likes

The fact that she changed so much since the rework started is a huge indication that this rework failed. They can’t honestly say that this is the vision they had for Mercy when they loaded her kit at the start in order to make Valk and her new regular ability as fun as Mercy was before the rework. Not only is Mercy a shadow of her former self with mass rez, she is a shadow of her former self with how she started with the rework.

She was OP, and I don’t want that again, but they can’t possibly say she is fun now. If they made her this way from the start of the rework, just imagine the reactions everyone would have had.

9 Likes

I think the amount of teamwork that should be in the game is something that the community is very, very split on. Coming from a more MOBA-heavy background, I think that a higher level of teamwork requirement is good, especially for higher levels of play.

The issue, however, is that overwatch feels like it should be a casual game. I have different expectations from a casual game over a competitive game. Teamwork is part of the equation.

1 Like

How many other characters require as much coordination as Mercy does for a regular ability, survival, and their ult? Because Mercy needs her team to perform, help, or capitalize on all of those things. Valk may last 15s, but how much it’s valued in terms of its use is incredibly reliant on her team actually doing something with it. For 15 seconds. That is my issue with her dependency.

I understand your view though.

I forgot to add a comment about Sombra needing her team to actually use her skills, and look how she is now.

I’m all for teamwork but in comp you either win or lose. Some characters have a bigger impact on that win or lose state. Mercy, in my opinion, has the lowest impact. As a result, mercy is not fun. Because she doesn’t have the capability of influencing fights in the same way every other character can

When you’re playing at plat or below, and the enemy team has a smurf that goes genji or tracer or widow, what happens. If the smurf goes mercy is it the same effect?

1 Like

Yeah, dw I agree with you lol.

My major problem is that Overwatch just has no idea where it wants to go right now. Does it want to be casual? competitive?

Blizzard needs to make a decision, around now, because game balance relies heavily on this point.

A casual game is what I thought this game was like when I picked it up. I had flashy graphics, and I could pick any hero to play without committing too hard to my decision. (contrast with, say, league, where if I pick a champion, I’m stuck with them for the next half hour of my life).

A competitive game means more team reliant balancing, for all heroes, not just supports. I don’t think this is the direction that the majority of the community wants, but for competitive balance, this is usually the route taken.

xEdit: Just to be clear, I’m not speaking strictly on Mercy’s state. I’m speaking about game balance as a whole. I think that as the game stands now, Mercy is balanced but ridiculously unfun.

I can’t remember (I have a terrible memory) if competitive was planned from the start, but I do know for a fact that it took a few months before it even made it into the game. So yeah, I can see how there is a mismatch on that front.

I think they want an esports game. The amount of money they are throwing at OWL proves that. unfortunately they marketed it as a casual game for all players. Half the roster doesn’t need good aim to be viable.

Unfortunately blizzard is letting OWL players dictate balance. They are putting lots of money into OWL and need a return on that investment. Keeping OWL players (and watchers) happy appears to have become their primary concern regarding game balance.

I hope I’m wrong but I think I’m right.

I’m see the suggestion of switching Rez and Valkrie but I’m going to have to say it wouldn’t work because of console. Because of the way the controller is built, Angelic Descent had to be bound to another button. Currently, Rez and AD are on the same button and I think works because Rez only activates your next to a teammate’s soul, which fall to the ground where AD isn’t used. While it is possible to change the gen controls to fit, I doubt Blizzard would change the default cotrols for one character.

I think if they could do it in a way that makes sense, it would be worth it (I don’t play on console), especially since people have been wanting an E for a long time now. But there have also been suggestions about an E that turns to rez when Valk is activated.

Bleh, I haven’t seen OWL after the first week. It wasn’t exciting. There wasn’t any amount of strategy in how the game was executed.

At it’s core, Overwatch is a casual game. It’s trying to be competitive, but it’s not working.

In terms of game balance, I guess this is the direction this is going :shrug: I haven’t really played since early January.