[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Unless, what they wanted was to give us this worthless “hero” we have now. (Let’s face it, there’s nothing heroic about her anymore)

Think about it, if they just in one update went from 1.X to where we are now, even the Mercy-hating-stream-Tubers would have likely said “whoa, guys, too harsh.”

But do it incrementally, and the player-base’s attitude towards the sledge-hammer nerfs are best described by the premise of the slowly-boiled frog.

Plus they put the OP rework in place to get a few people who were ambivalent about Mercy to switch over to being on the anti side and start complaining too, and it snow-balls to where we are today.

Someone wanted to thoroughly gut Mercy, and they tried out a way that they hoped would logically cause the smallest back-lash.

3 Likes

Only problem is, it didn’t exactly work that way. 7 Mega-Threads of approximately 10,000 posts each (7,000 on the 7th one since they switched over to here) plus going on 16,000 posts on the “New and Improved” forum. So already over 50,000 posts about Mercy Rework an subsequent nerfing. Me thinks this isn’t gonna just go away no matter how many Mercy threads get merged into the Mega-Thread. THEY done ticked off WAY too many people:

1. They ticked off DPS players with the “Unstoppable Moth” Mercy Meta.
  2. They ticked off non-Mercy healers with the Mercy Meta because Mercy just HAD to be in every game.
  3. They ticked off Mercy players by:
  • VILIFYING every Mercy player whether they did “Hide and Rez” or not.
  • VILIFIED every Mercy player whether they used the SR Exploit or not.
  • Didn’t even TRY to fix the problems before totally Reworking Mercy
  • Didn’t listen to the Mercy players when they warned that the Rework was Over Powered
  • Replied to the 7th Mega Thread in a thread that had NOTHING to even do with Mercy
  • And are STILL ticking off Mercy players by not responding to any inquiries.

IF I was them, I’d take a close look at what mistakes were and are still being done and try to fix it before some online News organization gets a hold of this story and ROASTS them they way Jeff Roasted Mercy players (whether Mercy players deserved it or not, which most of us didn’t).

5 Likes

“We care about Mercy”

Then “answering” in a thread about - mostly - Junkrat.

5 Likes

Yep, up until Jeff put in his reply (to the 7th MERCY Mega Thread) it had nothing to do with Mercy. Afterwards, it was almost non-stop Mercy posts.

1 Like

When has DM ever been the defining part of her kit? You mean when she was literally hated by nearly everyone, D.va mains included? You remember the Huge D.va mega thread that went on forever that complain about them being nothing but a DM bot? A Two pronged assault by D.va players and people playing against D.va agreed that doing nothing but DM’ing was unfun. She’s much more fun and way more driving to play now, and D.va players got their Dive tank back. Granted people still hate her but it’s hardly for DM anymore.

1. I’m not a Mercy main, Mercy is my 5th most played but a majority of that comes from her must pick era.

2. What if they don’t find anyone else fun?

3. Does it change the fact that their favorite character was ruined and essentially all you said to them was “suck it up”?

4. Is it fair for them to just want their character to be fun again but be made into the community punching bag?

8 Likes

The greatest lie begins.

5 Likes

Triggered rant time.

If you can’t hit her and you’re in Masters, then I will give you the same advice all of you non Mercys have given Mercy players since the dawn of time: “git gud scrub”.

I could hit her while she was flying just fine, and I was a silver Mercy main for many seasons. Let that sink in for a moment. A SILVER MERCY MAIN is able to do something regularly that you a MASTER can’t.

I stopped playing Mercy after the rework and jumped 2,000 sr in 40 games on other healers/tanks/dps (career average at the time was top 3% accuracy and top 10% damage on Zen, hanzo was top 10% damage, McCree I had 73% average accuracy in game, but never checked overbuff to see what it was on there, my Ana accuracy in game was 86% scoped 65% unscoped, and my Ana healing was top 2%. Mercy was top 1/3 of 1% accuracy, top 1% in kills and damage dealt, top 3% healing, and top 10% in all the rest except deaths and Rezes). I played aggressive and engaged in the fight and did everything I could to keep the team alive and win the fight, but even with excellent stats I still had to maintain at least a 65% or higher win rate on Mercy just to break even on SR. After the rework if you kept your team alive and didn’t rez literally as muh as you could, you’d get garbage SR gains; just like I was getting before the rework when I wasn’t letting my team die and I tempo rezed to bring the fight back instead of letting the team die to get inflated Rez stats.

The reason people didn’t play Mercy the way Blizzard wanted is because the ranking system actively and harshly punished you for doing it and actively over rewarded hide and Rez. Period. The hide and Rez didn’t start in season 4 when she got invulnerability to fix the fact that she died when ulting more than even McCree did. The issue started in April after Orisa launched when Mercys everywhere noticed SR gain got seriously jacked up and it was discovered in the process that the only stats that mattered for her ranking was deaths and Rezes. Pretty promptly after that hide and Rez became an increasingly common thing. Someone in Masters even did regular low rank to Masters streams where they abused hide and Rez actively saying “this is how you rank up fast with Mercy. Screw the team, only use them to charge and get lots of Rezes. When the team fight starts to go sour, hide and stay alive.”

The fact this crap started only after the SR issues were found and not before proves it is largely the SR system at fault for this whole situation and the reason it was such a problem on Mercy is because of the fact she got multiple changes to Rez to help her no longer have to chose to die more often than not to Rez her team mates. Standing still was a guaranteed death sentence, and even after she was given free movement up until invincibility was added Mercy died a TON when ulting, to the point she was squaring off with McCree for the most fatal to self ult in the game. From the Feb 28, 2017 patch notes about Mercy getting invincibility:

Developer Comments: Mercy’s Resurrect has always been very powerful, but it often forces her to sacrifice herself to use it well. There have been changes in the past that attempted to help her in this area, but haven’t done enough to solve it. This change means that once she uses the ability, she will always survive long enough to be with her team again.

The community was fine with Mercy having F tier pick rates, the community was fine with her dying every time she ulted, and they were stoked every time she got nerfed and were mad every time she got buffed, even though she was underpowered. The reason why is purely because the community has had a tendency to hate Mercy ever since launch and has had a tendency to antagonize her players every opportunity and for no reason other than “its Mercy”. Prior to the movement changes when Mercy died all the time Mercys were asking for something to help survive but the community couldn’t resist antagonizing Mercys rather than take the matter seriously. Eventually it got patched multiple times to address her survivability issues, but then the Orisa patch that broke ratings came out. Mercys actively were advocating that Blizzard fix the issue and stop over rewarding low deaths and inflated Rez counts because it was an unhealthy way to play, but the community couldn’t resist antagonizing Mercys rather than take the matter seriously. When the rework was first starting Mercy players where hugely opposed to the rework changes because it would make her wicked OP but the community couldn’t resist antagonizing Mercys rather than take the matter seriously. When the casting time changes were put into PTR Mercys where hugely opposed to it because it didn’t fix the problem and would make her feel awful to everyone forced to play her following prior mentioned opposed changes. The community again couldn’t resist antagonizing Mercys rather than take the matter seriously. When the final nerfs were proposed Mercys again where hugely opposed because the changes significantly impacted her ability to make plays and made her passive and unengaged in the fight. Community again couldn’t resist antagonizing Mercys and not taking the matter seriously. Following the rework and having experienced nothing but antagonism the whole games life I figured it couldn’t get worse but it did and turned into vitriolic hate every step ot the way for at least a month purely for having Mercy on your profile as most picked.

The community can’t stop hating on Mercy and all Mercy players want is to enjoy the damn game with a hero that is enjoyable to play that isn’t OP or a must pick. That has been the goal since the beginning and many of us have spent extremely considerable time in trying to propose changes before the problem blew up only for every one of you people to be a constant obstacle that is actively trying to stop that from happening by not giving one single solitary iota of consideration to the big picture and sticking staunchly to your “burn the witch” prejudice.

This thread continues because Blizzard actively refuses to address the issue like mature adults and its been going on for a REALLY long time. This thread continues and the dead horse keeps getting beat because of the continuous never ending neglect to actually address the problems, and this rework invited so much hostility and so much drama towards Mercy players, and WE DID NOT WANT ANY OF IT. Thats why we have been trying for a YEAR to get the problems promoting hide and Rez and the lack of counterplay to Rez addressed but we can’t while people like you keep actively trying to sabotage that effort and while Blizzard keeps ignoring Mercys.

There are lots of heros who need attention and need fixing; that has NEVER been a problem that any Mercy player has been ignorant to. “Only fix Mercy, screw everyone else” is not something any Merc has said (although it is the mentality of a bunch of DPS mains, the same ones who love to antagonize Mercys). At this point though you know 100% exactly what the Mercy players want, its been 15 thousand damn comments littered with exactly what we want; for the hero to be fun and have an impactful game making moment like every single solitary other hero does without breaking the game balance in the process.

You either understand this, you are hopelessly ignorant to reality, or you are a troll. Those are the only options. Pick.

13 Likes

Don’t forget the 40,000 before the forum migration.

3 Likes

Developper comments:
We think that the Mercy rework, while amazingly successful, is not enough cruel towards Mercy players. With this change, Mercy will still be able to watch her teammates die, but she will be lying to herself and her team every time she uses her ultimate.

More seriously, I hope they will realize that something is wrong with this rework.

9 Likes

Honestly, this line does not suit her ult at all; should stick to “I will watch over you.” since ‘Over’ is in the air ‘Heroes Never Die!’ was related to her rez, it just sounds too messy for me.

4 Likes

Honestly, “I will watch you” would fit even better, since it’s the only thing she can do now.
Edit: Is she even watching her team ? Or the wall she is hiding behind ?

9 Likes

So they did it…Well I gotta get back to Warframe. Gotta battle that war within.

Top 100 Mercy player on Overbuff just dropping in and telling everyone she’s still in a poor spot send help please!

5 Likes

It’s ok. You simply didn’t see the stats saying she’s fine. Trust me!

2 Likes

Hey Blizzard, It’s me again, CuteCookie ^^.
Let me get straight to the point.
DON’T REVENT MERCY, Now before everyone is killing me, I love her new ult, I’m a Mercy main by myself and I don’t wanna revert, I love to fly and heal multiple teammates okay?
But PLEASE Blizzard PLEASE. BUFF MERCY
PLEASE
First, Buff her ult time to 18 sec. ( Because 15 is clearly not for an ult like this )
make her rez instead 50% to 25%.
And make her fly speed to 10 instead 9.
THATS ALL.
This will be a really balanced Mercy.
Please, Blizzard, Please, Give her that buff.
Please.
From your lovely cookie.
CuteCookie.
#Please :pray:

Nope they said it doesnt necessarily determine your SR gains directly. Its not that it doesnt affect your performance at all. But that doesnt matter from diamond and above at this point.

You main widow though?

My profile isn’t updated but, I’m main Mercy, Widow, Zen , Moira and Tracer.
EDIT: Most hours on Mercy.

Still the “buff” youre recommending isnt really gonna do anything other than make mercy more annoying thats all. It doesnt fix her current issue and it doesnt make her any more engaging to play than her current version…

4 Likes

Thank you. :heart:

I wish more people could see it the way we do

2 Likes