Feedback and a few Ideas for the Workshop

Heya ^^

So… I’ve been working a LOT with the workshop in the past year and I absolutely love the way it’s turning out.
However there is some things I am missing and I am not sure where exactly to put them so I though I’d just leave 'em here… (:
Well… Let’s get started:

The ability to add some sort of “Config” for a script:
Modifying a script that’s not your own can be a pain. I love to add a bunch of global variables at the start of my scripts as a sort of “config” to allow other users to quickly edit certain aspects of my script

A more convenient way to do that (especially for users with no experience with workshop script) would be great

I’ve thought of a UI with a structure similar to this:

[Entry Number]
Config Name: "Name"
Variable: Global/Player Variable (Var Name) #The variable the entry is tied to
Type: Any/String/Int(Range)/Float(Range)/Dropdown(Option1, Option2, Option3) #Determines the format and range of the input and whether or not to use a Dropdown list
Default: 0 #The default value for the setting

[+ Add Entry]

Example:

[Entry 1]
Config Name: "Difficulty"
Variable: Global Variable(GameDifficulty) 
Type: Dropdown("Easy", "Normal", "Hard", "Impossible")
Default: "Normal"

[Entry 2]
Config Name: "Difficulty"
Variable: Global Variable(GameDifficulty) 
Type: Dropdown("Easy", "Normal", "Hard", "Impossible")
Default: "Normal"

[+ Add Entry]

This way even player with no workshop experience can conveniently customize your script
Making damage modifications affect deployables
Right now damage modifications don’t affect deployables like turrets or B.O.B.
Especially in my main script, this is quite a big problem, since people tend to abuse this fact to circumvent the damage modification.
If this is intentional behavior, a way to toggle that would be great.
Maybe like an “Include Deployables” setting within the damage modifications

Persistent Variables:
A special type of Variable (Global or Player) that doesn’t reset after a restart (provided the Workshop script hasn’t been edited in the previous round)
This would allow us to save stats or scores between rounds to create multimap games and more

Persistent player names:
Right now if a player leaves and rejoins the match, all their player variables are cleared and every instance of their player tag used is no longer associated with that player.

Additional Stat Actions:
The ability to change jump strength, clip size, ability cooldowns, reload time, Knockback Resistance, etc.

Weapon equipped:
A variable that returns whether the player is using their primary weapon (e.G. Caduceus Blaster) or secondary weapon (Caduceus Staff)

Bugs I’ve found:

• States that change the player’s defense (Nano Boost, Orisa’s “Halt” or Bastion’s Turret Form) completely negate all damage modifications or modifications of the received damage.
  • Setting a player’s allowed heroes to all heroes except the hero played occasionally doesn’t send them to the hero selection but to a screen where they can only choose one specific hero-

Well… That’s about it.
Thank’s a lot for reading and let me know if you agree, or disagree or have different approaches to one of my suggestions.

Greetings, Alola c:

1 Like

Here —> [WIKI-THREAD] Workshop suggestions 2! <—

This is on PTR right now (is in alternate form).