FACTS & RUMORS - Discussion of Hero Bans (updated)

It’s difficult to imagine a full system that will encourage/force players to play different heroes and shift the meta outside of a ban system of some sort, but I’m sure we’ll be surprised by next week’s update.

3 Likes

They could lock out certain heroes entirely for a week or two at a time to encourage a certain play style one week, and another play style the next? That’s my only guess…

1 Like

Wow always clear and right explanations on your side.
Thanks to come quickly and confirm that’s not and team don’t want hero ban. :slightly_smiling_face:
And I’m more hype with the new dev video now.

2 Likes

Damn that was a good post.

I am SUPER looking forward to the future.

11 Likes

Honestly, I kind of don’t like the sound of this. I like the length the matches are at now and it’s one of the reasons why I only play comp. Every other game mode is too quick and gimmicky. And I can’t imagine this being very fun for DPS queue to wait ten minutes for an even FASTER match. It can only work with faster queue times.

11 Likes

What about the 57 doomfist bugs that are still not fixed

So,

Can I just say 1 thing?

Yeah that’s right

I TOLD YOU SO
I TOLD YOU SO
I TOLD YOU SO

11 Likes

He means faster time between matches.

If they get you playing again faster then you stew over your last loss less.

3 Likes

This is so exciting!

7 Likes

That still feels like banning, but it’s in Blizzard’s hands instead of our own. That would honestly feel worse, in my opinion.

1 Like

Oh, Jeff was faster
I was about to open a thread (I already made a post about it in the German forums) where I would link the Seagull interview with Jeff, since a lot of things he said here about hero bans where already said there and that he is strongly against it, but one of the “crazy ideas” (I don’t remember the exact wording) was hero rotation
That’s actually a way of shifting the meta fast

Three things about Metro:

• He was not always right (not again)
  • He even “secured” himself this time by saying that he got it from another source
  • Even if his source was correct, maybe it was just an experiment like 1-3-2
2 Likes

Thanks Jeff. Glad to get it from the source.

2 Likes

Jeff, this is the second big boat you’ve given us in a short period of time. I just wanted to thank you for taking the time and sharing the devs insights with us. As a former game designer, it’s always very interesting to hear what the team’s process is.

7 Likes

I enjoy this. Thank you.

15 Likes

I hope that’s what he means. His line of “the sting of defeat would be less if the match took less time” sounds like he’s talking about the match time itself and not inbetween.

4 Likes

Thank you for the in depth explanation and for clearing up all of this Jeff :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comment Jeff, glad to see it was not hero bans.

This part hurts me personally because due to all the ingame mechanics ( performance SR bonus due to stats and losing ultimate on switching heroes ) seems that Flexing and being versatile is not only not good but discouraged. If that is truly the design direction, it seems you guys are going the opposite way.
In fact, RQ encourages one tricking, since only CP gains are slightly better if you “flex” and do the 3 roles.

OTPs should get “diminishing returns” on SR gains. RQ actually favors One Tricks since only 1 other player will be able to take that hero from them. It would be great if something or some mechanic is added to recognize and add value to those players who have the versatility to play all roles at the same level or really close.

PS: Theres also a lot of misinformation about what comps where actually more used before 222 was forced. Like 4-5 DPS being the most rare or Triple DPS being legit and really close to 222. Would be great if you guys have some data to share.

6 Likes

jeff literally represented my exact thoughts, thank you

3 Likes

The sentiment is less about the length of the match and more about how much of your time is spent playing rather than waiting to play.

For example, right now, even after queueing and joining a match, you spend (and I might be getting some of these numbers wrong) 30 seconds “selecting a hero,” then another 45 seconds doing nothing on offense or walking across the map on defense before the round starts, and then repeat this process for each subsequent round. That can add up to a lot of extra time not playing Overwatch while you’re in a match.

1 Like

It could be guilds. Guilds would make a lot of sense, especially if done properly. I think the team may have changed their minds on guilds the same way they did on RQ, especially because the only reason against it was “It wouldn’t be big enough”. Guilds would solve a lot of problems on ladder, as it would do what LFG was supposed to do: let people play the game the way it was supposed to be played, with coordination and communication.