Extreme Memory Leak

Extreme memory leak on Windows 10.
i5-8600k, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1060 6GB
After launching the game and sitting idle on the main menu, the RAM usage as per Windows task manager will reach about 5GB.
When playing a game the framerate tanks heavily due to the RAM being pinned at >95%.
Restarting the game or system does nothing for this.
Has occurred since most recent patch (FEBRUARY 21, 2024)

1 Like

I tried to recreate this and was not successful; the game never used 95% of my RAM.

Do you have pagefile space on your drives? (15%+ free)
Are you overheating? This means your total RAM available will be lower.

I have made sure that my drivers and OS are up to date. Same problem still arises.
I have >15% remaining on all drives connected to the system. My temps remain normal throughout.
In addition to the excessive RAM usage I mentioned above, I also noticed excessive CPU usage (>50% according to task manager)

Is there any way I can generate a log file to send?

What are you using to check them? Most apps display an average. I recommend HWMonitor.

Continuing the discussion from Common Technical Issues and Solutions:

I am having the exact same issues as the OP ever since the last update as well.
However, I’m on slightly different specs:
RTX 2070 Super, Ryzen 7 3700x, 16GB DDR4, on Win10.

I’ll post the logs to this later once I’m home and have a bit more time, but did just want to comment and mention for transparency on this issue. I’ve never had this issue (that I recall) since Overwatch 2016, and it was a lot more blatant with the constant visual tearing and stutter that the memory leak is causing (usually my system runs the game at a consistent 160-300FPS, where I’m lucky to receive half of that consistently right now).

Edit: One caveat I do have to OP however, is that I did have Medal maxed out on my GPU afterwards as well (third party clip recording software). Turning Medal off startup seems to alleviate the stress OW puts on the rest of my system (80-85% Memory usage to 70-72%) and obviously with Medal gone, there isn’t a hard GPU bottleneck anymore.

I’m not sure which is the chicken or the egg however, as both programs were running fine just 2-3 days ago. Perhaps something with the way Overwatch is being live encoded/clipped is causing a technical bottleneck?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.