Explain how MMR is fair...you can't

MMR has no place in comp. SR is all that is needed. MMR is rigging.

6 Likes

First you explain how itā€™s unfair and any different than SR.

13 Likes

so how is adding more stats to your name less fair than determining your skill by an arbitrary single number?

2 Likes

The only purpose of MMR os to manipulate matches. If SR were accurate, there would be no need for MMR. If MMR is used, SR can not be accurate.

They should drop MMR and let SR settle itself organically.

4 Likes

Decay is a big reason. If you had 4200 players decaying and playing in 3000 SR games, itā€™d be quite boring

4 Likes

exactly the opposite is true

and all these mmr hate threads are just another excuse for not accepting youā€™re not as good as you think you are.#

edit: just to be clear, mmr is what allows you to still get to your true rank on a ~50% winrate by adjusting your SR gains and losses accordingly. and you will always have about 50% win rates because the matchmaker is actually pretty good at finding people of your skill level.

11 Likes

How about you explain how it is unfair? How about you explain how it is rigging?

You are the one making a claim. The burden of proof is on you to substantiate that claim

9 Likes

Iā€™ve seen it in gold playing with a GM and a diamond on their gold alts.

Suffice to say that we got team mates that were a bit ā€œspecialā€. We got a bunch of low Mmr humps to offset my friendsā€™ massive Mmr scores.

This is one reason, as well as busted new placements, that gold ELO skill levels so busted.

Gold is called the ELO of mistrust for a reason. Youā€™ve no idea if your 2.3k team mate is a plat level player or a bronze level player or anything in between.

4 Likes

SR is accurate because it follow MMR. You are right now asking for SR to be less accurate

1 Like

MMR (at low rank) gives you extra SR on wins and reduced SR on losses, if you are better than the average player at your rank, playing your hero in your map.

As such, it minimizes bad luck effects of ā€œbadā€ teammates. Of course if you are not actually better than your rank youā€™ll get less SR on wins than you lose in defeats, thus helping you (yes, helping you) to get to your appropriate, lower rank.

At high rank MMR matches you with people at your actual skill level instead of your decayed SR. This is so diamonds donā€™t go against decayed gm and only against smurf gm (it cuts down the ammount of smurfs).

The fairest system that could exist would be complete randomness.
Manipulating matches is unfair.
Blizzard does this to encourage players to stay.
Of course, developers deny that, because otherwise the game would no longer be considered a serious competitive game.
Look at the facts and donā€™t listen to what players and developers say, they have their reasons why they donā€™t say everything.
If there were detailed statistics for all matches, for the complete player base this would be revealed immediately. Therefore this feature will never be implemented.

5 Likes

No oneā€™s manipulating matches to force you to lose. Calm down tinfoil hat.

2 Likes

I said something about the facts and you want to address me personally?
I wonder why.
Are you afraid that your MMR Farmer strategies will show up in the forum at some point? :smile:
You can buy a Diamond Account for about 40USD.
These farmers have a good understanding of how the matchmaking system works, itā€™s intransparent and can be very unfair if some playes know certain aspects of it. That is the official reason why Blizzard wants to keep the system intransparent. (Official Post) Thatā€™s a fact.

Iā€™m GM and have multiple masters accounts. Iā€™m not an MMR farmer. Iā€™m a good overwatch player.

If youā€™d like me to show you my deep understanding of the ranking system and how i abuse it (aka how to win) Iā€™d be down to do a vod review for you and show you what youā€™re doing wrong :slight_smile:

2 Likes

These farmers are better than low ranks so they have no problem boosting accounts.

3 Likes

You must have misunderstood me. I just said that the matchmaking system is not completely obscure to everyone and that some parts of it are already being actively exploited. You certainly donā€™t want to have a gold-level player on your team. Then you should be interested in the matchmaking being fixed.

Citation of your source?

1 Like

ā€œSR closely chases your MMR up and down and is a more ā€œdigestibleā€ number. With the exception of top players who have decayed, MMR and SR are closely linked.ā€ - Jeff Kaplan

And I wanted to make that clear earlier, as soon as you know how to boost MMR and the farmers Iā€™m talking about know that, the matches will be adjusted like this.

Complete randomness, if Iā€™m not misunderstanding what youā€™re trying to say, would result in the following being possible

SR 4520 - 3150 - 1140 - 2200 - 4230 - 3900
vs
SR 850 - 1740 - 1150 - 4030 - 2750 - 1740

Is that acceptable?

If thatā€™s NOT what you were trying to say, and what you were trying to say is that the matchmaking system can differentiate between ā€œgoodā€ and ā€œbadā€ players at a single given SR, you would need to cite that source. Cuthbertā€™s topic is not a valid source, by the way.

Yes that would be acceptable, because these numbers are mostly wrong from the beginning. You are assuming that you already have a system that has been able to properly evaluate the player skill. But this is not the case right now.