Exception_INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO

Hi everyone,

I have been having random crashes in overwatch for about one month. It is always the same error of Exception_int_divide_by_zero in the logs. The error message that pops up says “External software has acquired some video resources from Overwatch, which can often cause problems with the game. Please consider closing any video capture or overlay software that might be running.”

I have made sure I disabled start up programs.
I have closed background applications
This includes closing Discord and Opera Gx which are the main programs I used to have open when playing overwatch for a couple of years now.
I have updated drivers to their latest update (GPU)
This includes a clean install of the driver
I have also tried to use the last graphics driver that I had before any issues
I have updated windows with latest drivers
I have uninstalled and reinstalled overwatch
I have verified game files
I have reinstalled Windows with a clean install
I have made sure I am not overheating my cpu
I am not overclocking my GPU or CPU
I have set overwatch to optizmized settings using nvidia geforce.
I have disabled nvidia in game overlay
I have ran debug mode on nvidia
I have contacted Blizzard support 3 times and was given copy pasted information from a troubleshooting guide along with the request to post on the forum. Those 3 tickets were auto closed
I contacted Nvidia support who after doing some troubleshooting, states its an overwatch issue.
I have looked at various forums with the same issue but none of the fixes have worked for me.

This issue happened around the 17th of Jan and since then I have crashed 70 times (literally 70 overwatch logs)

In the Dxdiag, I have noted that the problem signatures have been opera.exe which I have stopped using during ow, battlenet, overwatch and d1.

DxDiag: ------------------System Information------------------ Time of this r - Pastebin.com

Can I please have some assistance with this issue as I don’t know what the issue is and how I can prevent it?

BlueScreen-level errors are outside the scope of supported troubleshooting in the forum, but maybe I can point you in the right direction.

I looked up the error, and Microsoft had this to say:

Can you also add an exported MSInfo link here?

Here is the Msinfo

Part 1: System Information report written at: 02/21/24 22:21:45System Name: DESKTOP-II - Pastebin.com

Part 2: [System Drivers]Name Description File Type Started Start Mode State Status E - Pastebin.com

Part 3: [Services]Display Name Name State Start Mode Service Type Path Error Contr - Pastebin.com

These are the issues I see.

:one: If you have overclocking/changed speeds in MSI, it often causes crashes.

:two: There are two Intel utilities that automatically manage drivers/storage space—I recommend disabling those.

:three: Corsair overlays are known to cause issues.

:four: It’s unclear if the drivers are crashing because of other apps, but you may need to use DDU to reinstall.

:five: Turn off the Microsoft GameBar/overlay.

Hi Nicole,

I have made sure my gpu and cpu are on default settings

I have disabled both intel utilities

Corsair has been closed

I have ran a ddu and fresh installed the gpu driver

I have ended process of gamebar

I will let you know if there is any issue. If there are no issues, I will test to see if it was the gamebar as I have a feeling it might be.
Of the above checks, 2 and 5 were not on my radar so I am hopeful.

1 Like

Sounds good, I hope it works now.

The crash occurred again however I noticed some how gamebar was on again despite me ending process. I have now uninstalled xbox game bar and xbox from my pc and currently have not crashed for a while in overwatch. I believe this has fixed it.

Thank you Nicole for directing me to the possible causes of my crash and for your quick responses. If I do crash again I will make a different thread but for now I would say its fixed.

1 Like

If you start crashing again, just reply here. I’ll leave tracking on for this thread.

Hi Nicole,

Unfortunately I crashed again with Gamebar off completely. Will providing overwatch 2 logs help?

Going to try another DDU.

Not for me, I don’t have Blizzard’s tools to read the error codes. Did you check for overheating with HWMonitor? Or even thermal throttling?

CPU temperature was running around 82 when on load. I found out that Corsair CPU ID service kept coming back online so I have renamed the file to prevent this.

Will post back if this solves the issue.

If the CPU was already peaking at 82degC, was everything else really hot, too?

I read an article on XDA mentioning that the i9-14900K peaks in performance around 72degC in single-core tests. Maybe temperature values above that see a decline in performance? You may want to research it.

1 Like

GPU was sitting at around 62 degrees. It seems stable unless a spike occurs which would often be when overwatch first starts. The crash has never occurred during the launch of overwatch just randomly mid game. That being said my CPU cooler is the only thing I have not replaced in my pc build and I am planning on replacing that at one stage.

To try and assist the situation cleanly removed the old thermal paste and re-applied some more in an attempt to fix this issue when it first happened.

EDIT: Unfortunately still crashing. There will be extended times when the crash does not occur making me think its fixed and then some times when it happens a few times with 20 mins.

EDIT2: Issue looks to be due to CPU temp. I found out my cpu cooler was not compatible with the i9 14th gen. I got a better one which is managing temps at 65 on load. Crash has not happened since.

Thank you Nicole!

1 Like

Glad you figured it out :slight_smile:

If you make a separate thread, yes, but I can’t continually ping the OP with new replies here. Especially since their issue is resolved. (You will also need to add another Pastebin for the rest of the MSInfo.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.