Evil Races are Bad Game Design - Bioessentialism & Worldbuilding - Extra Credits

Posting today’s extra credit video, because I am seeing it too much nowadays.

And I want devs to take notes from this episode.

In my opinion, it’s a mistake that we avoided the Omnic backstory this long.

And I feel it has now translated into the community and current gen.

3 Likes

I disagree with that, evil races depends on how you use it, sometimes, you just want an enemy to beat the crap out of without thinking.

For example, Doom Eternal Demons. Your protagonist job is to murder everyone of them without any remorse in the most brutal and stylish way possible. No moral quandry like, what if the demons you kill aren’t all that bad (TBF, they did refer to one demon known as the heretic who helped the protag craft his armor but that’s about it.), or that family had a family. Etcetc.

It’s all in the execution. Trying to say ‘evil races are an inherently a bad game design and idea/trope’ in itself is lazy and utilize shallow thinking like what Extra Credit is trying to do.

45 Likes

In general they’ve avoided the lore so long.

8 Likes

I disagree with Extra Credits, as I find myself usually doing. Evil races are fine in games with intentionally no nuance; you wouldn’t complain about a demon from hell just being evil, would you?

I just want something to fight, and while I enjoy games with a deeper narrative, I also like games like DOOM where you just blast things.

9 Likes

Extra credits misses the mark so often these days it has to be intentional. Which is a shame, back when they started, they made good insightful content.

7 Likes

… What’s the evil race in this game?

15 Likes

Man, remember when they did that ‘if you play as a terrorist, you’re a terrorist’ video?

5 Likes

probably omnics because the main enemy of OW2 is null sector (even though we have multiple good omnics and actually pretty much all in game omnics are good)

I would prefer you didnt remind me, that was when they completely lost the thread.

2 Likes

Omnics arent bad.

As you see in the opening of uprising, humans and omnics are living in harmony, like they do in Numbani. Its just the Null Sector extremist group that are the evils ones.

Look at zenyatta, he is peaceful. Same with the other omnic monks

This video is just a sloppy attempt to stir up trouble in our community, that channel always does it. They have no intent to look into the in depth lore of a game

17 Likes

I’m not sure how this applies to Overwatch when there are no evil races?

14 Likes

wat…
We literally have good and evil omnics, just as we have good and evil humans.

Human enemies: Talon
Omnic enemies: Null Sector

There is no evil “race” in Overwatch, just evil factions.

17 Likes

I thought the lore was: someone made the omnics as an army to attack humanity, and after the war was over, a lot of omnics were left twisting in the breeze and slowly integrated into societies?

1 Like

no omnics gained sentience didnt like how they were treated wanted equality didnt get it went to war, got better status but still pretty bad null sector doesnt like it and start trying to start another war but are extremists even using Mondatta as a hostage showing that theyre very willing to sacrifice any omnic that doesnt agree with their way of doing things

That’s true, omnics are obviously what’s being talked about, and they certainly have done some technically evil things, but the entire omnic race already isn’t evil, there’s multiple in lore and in game

2 Likes
  1. I don’t generally take extra credits as a good source of game design. And especially not of writing.
  2. Evil races are fine. Good and Evil as a dichotomy is interesting precisely because it isn’t just a stand-in for real-world phenomena, but as a unique aspect of a fictional one.
  3. Omnics in Overwatch aren’t an evil race, but a hamfisted proxy for real-world racial/religious/ethnic minorities, just as Null Sector is a proxy for the typical extremist “but not ALL X are like that” escape valve.
3 Likes

Hamfisted is right if blizzard went the “AI gained sentience and the humans did not like that” route, because that is the correct response to an emerging AI.

1 Like

I guess OP’s point is that Anubis can seemingly flip a switch and turn Omnics into an evil race to give OW something to fight.

doubtful cause thats not evil race thats mind control which is a whole different topic entirely and doesnt add to the point of the vid at all

1 Like

Omnics arent evil though?

3 Likes