ESPORTS and Competitive Mode, One Tricking and Swapping

We all know the complaints. It’s an age old song constantly being sung by the Overwatch Player base choir. Matchmaking this, teammates not swapping that, MMR blah blah, etc. etc., _______ insert your complaint here.

One thing is for certain, a Player’s attitude greatly affects their performance in-game and, unbeknownst to themselves, a poor attitude makes them inadvertently throw the match.

As a dedicated Hanzo, I encounter this more often than not. A teammate complains about me or another teammate for not swapping. I get it, there are heroes who have been designed with ability kits to counter other abilities and this is what gives Overwatch a unique ‘balance’.

However.

Do not conflate the idea that, because of this, ‘counter swapping’ is the ONLY strategy in order for you to win. I assure you, it is not. In fact, having this dogmatic mindset and it not being met in game will cause a lot of frustration for many Players who think swapping needs to happen when it doesn’t. Regardless, I’m sure this debate will go on and on in perpetuity just like the Player’s Career Profile so I do feel it is quite futile to try and come to a definitive answer (even though I’m quite certain I’m right ;0), I digress).

Just so we’re on the same page: I believe swapping is a strategy that can work effectively just as much as ‘swapping’ your in-game approach with one hero is also a strategy that can work.

Now then, let me get on to the point of this post, which I have brought up before in the past.

Blizzard,

Create a Competitive Mode where the Player selects ONE hero to one-trick throughout the entire season where they can compete amongst other Players proficient in the specialized hero they’ve dedicated themselves to. The Player will then have to select very carefully who they choose to pick as their “Main” and if they want to ‘change’ their selected hero during the season, have them pay money just like you pay money to change your Battle Tag or buy skins.

Let this be a part of the Player’s Career Profile in perpetuity throughout the life of the Player’s account. Let this be something special every Player can work to be proud of as they continually put in countless hours into this wonderful game.

The hope is also to put purpose BACK into Rank.…to have RANK actually mean something again, but in a way that specifically shines on the Player’s skill with a specific Hero that is tested against and with throughout all sorts of team compositions.

Collect the data and see how this will produce even greater and more optimal ideas when it concerns balance changes, nerfs, and buffs throughout Overwatch as a whole.

Now, onto why this is sorely needed for the sake of Ovewatch eSports.

This will greatly benefit Overwatch’s eSports, which seriously needs a lot of work. No offense, but it’s really not that fun to watch, at least, for longer periods of time.

Let me give you what Overwatch eSports teams need to vamp it up and make it more enjoyable to watch. I will use Basketball as the analogy:

R.I.P. to the great Black Mamba, Kobe Bryant. When people watched the Lakers’ game, most of them came to watch Kobe dominate and showcase his skill in his ONE position. During the golden years with Kobe and Shaquille O’neal, many came to see both. Just like Michael Jordan’s day with his teammates Scotty Pippen and Dennis Rodman.

When the viewership/consumers go to watch a Lakers vs. Golden State Warriors match, they mainly go to see Lebron James versus Stephen Curry. Are you catching my drift?

You see, what Overwatch eSports teams need is just that: A Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan or Stephen Curry, etc. fans want to come and see.

Imagine two teams each with a one trick. Team A has Hanzo and Team B has Soldier 76. The viewers go to watch Hanzo versus Soldier 76. Projectile versus Hit Scan.

(this would be hella fun to watch).

Each eSports Overwatch Team needs to show case ONE DEDICATED ONE TRICK DPS in the team roster. This dedicated One Trick Player will showcase their skill with just that one hero. The other teammates can flex accordingly.

Just like in the movies, there is a LEAD actor/actress and a SUPPORTING actor/actress.

It’s no offense to the rest of the Players on the team who are super talented and skilled, but in order for Overwatch eSports to be even more engaging to watch…it needs to highlight something more spectacular and specialized. Queue and enter, a One Trick DPS Player who can take on any Hero that is “designed” to counter them.

Sure, it doesn’t have to be a DPS Player, it can be any role for that matter, but the requirement must have each eSports team to have ONE dedicated hero.

How do you achieve this?

Create a Competitive Mode where a Player selects ONE hero for every season. Pool the data, create the team, and watch Overwatch eSports shine like you’ve never seen it shine before.

Besides, Blizzard, you guys will make a ton of money. Isn’t that incentive enough?

Blizzard, you know how to reach me. Let’s discuss this even further.

My vision is clear and you guys truly need it.

-Bro (Hanzo)

I think a separate ladder for one trick players would actually be interesting…

Some of these complaints are 100% legit.

There are some accounts that are just harder to rank up than others.

That alone is enough to show that there’s clearly something going on under the hood with some accounts and that the system we have now isn’t fair and impartial.

1 Like

This is not true at all. But why let that stop you.

Technically we don’t know.

Also, some accounts could have worse experiences than others as well. Due to ping, skill, time of day.