Error Applying Update - Unknown Error

this is a issue that has been happening for a week now. Every time i try to join a game i get a popup saying “Error applying update”. Please for the love of The Holy Trinity fix this and extend the lego Bastion event

This has been an issue for a while now. Each time I join a game (even practice range) I get a message saying “Error applying update”. I’ve tried everything recommended by the techies and other people and nothing has worked. When is this blizzard caused issue going to get officially noticed and fixed.

1 Like

Find a competitive match. Start to load in. Then the screen flashes applying update. I have to relog into my battle.net from overwatch. I do so. Click rejoin button. Does nothing. Im suspended and i lost SR. Basically got kicked out of match and could never load back in. This happen to anybody else? Other times it says applying update and it doesnt kick me all the way out to the log in screen.

1 Like

Here is solution

Hey there. The “Applying Update” prompt is a case when your game client is getting some sort of hotfix (a new feature of the Overwatch Game Client). However, this still comes down to potential connection issues that you can try to resolve through these common troubleshooting steps:

Otherwise there may be more advanced issues that Blizzard is investigating. See this post for details:

When I entering OW, appear error applying update(-1). When I am trying to join a game, another popup error applying update(-2) and be disconnected. Relogin with my ID and retrying to join a game will cause applying update for a while and then be disconnected with error applying update (-5), regardless of which type of game I am joining.

For the past 4 days i’ve been getting an “Applying Update” pop up before every game that goes away right before the match starts. I dont get booted or anything. However i recently started having these weird ping spikes and happen every few seconds as well. not sure if these two issues are related but they’re both annoying. My ping only skyrockets in overwatch, when i play games like destiny 2 it’s completely fine.

for clarification when i said, i dont get booted or anything, i meant that the game continues regularly after the pop up goes away with no disconnects or relogging needing to be done.

1 Like

The “Applying Update” prompt is a case when your game client is getting some sort of hotfix (a new feature of the Overwatch Game Client). However, this still comes down to potential connection issues that you can try to resolve through these common troubleshooting steps:

Otherwise there may be more advanced issues that Blizzard is investigating. See this post for details:

can i disable this feature?

Finally, I can play after updating

1 Like

So it fixed now?
yay

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Crashing after update?

Yo can I get my 100SR back that I lost trying to play the game after the patch thanks.

Hey everyone,

The error applying update when trying to queue is something we’re still working on. However, the crashes on startup which started with 1.40.1 are unrelated. There is a separate issue related to a language/text mismatch here.

I tried launching the game, instantly says “A required Overwatch update is now available.” and I can’t do anything. I tried checking for update but it says the game is up to date. I restarted blizz launcher and tried again. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game and its still having the issue.

2 Likes

I keep seeing an update required when i get into the game, but not in bliz launcher. I cant play until its updated. but theres no seen update. second time this happened. I keep hitting look for updates. nothing. I keep restarting. nothing. wanted to play the game, and ive been sitting here an hour already, troubleshooting.

1 Like

Thanks for following up with us! The issue with this happening in the game should be resolved with patch 1.40.1. For those experiencing crashes after the 1.40.1 update, please refer to this thread here.

To everyone still experiencing this issue, let’s try checking the game versions and the Blizzard App version.

• Overwatch next to the play button, should show Version 1.40.1.0.62438
  • The Blizzard Application, click on the Blizzard logo at the top left corner, and click on Settings. At the bottom left corner, it should show Version 1.15.3.11474

If either are not up to date, try running a Scan and Repair and clearing the cache and tools for the Blizzard Application. Let us know if this is happening with both the Blizzard Application and Overwatch being up to date!

2 Likes

there’s an update but it stuck “Fetching CDN configuration”.

That would be a different issue entirely. Your best bet for that is going to be starting your own thread so we don’t conflate errors.