Elo hell is real and I can tell you all about it (gm/top500 player)

The people that do understand this have mostly quit the game. The remainder are either fine with it, abuse it, or willfully oblivious.
Oh, and it doesn’t hurt that Blizzard makes a pretty penny selling exorbitant numbers of new accounts.

You win half because you are in rank you belong in. Play better and it will go up and you will climb until you will again reach the max rank with your current skill.

1 Like

All the smurf accounts win half because they’re all in the ranks they belong in, too.

Smurfs dont have 50% winrate.

Yes they will, because they can sandbag pbsr and mmr drift just as easily.
They will absolutely go for approx. 50% wr if they’re trying to keep their smurf rank.

1 Like

Its impossible without losing more games then you win, nobody does that. What people do is that they repeat the process, climb on smurf, then derank, but usualy on new account, and repeat.

It’s entirely possible.

You don’t need to lose more than you win, you can sandbag or pad pbsr in your wins/losses. You just need to maintain near 50% wr to keep your fake rank. You can do that in streaks, by flipping a coin, by deciding on a whim. Win 2 matches throw 2 matches. For typical non-boosting solo/duo smurfs, this isn’t some large-swing rank/derank cycle. It’s try/throw with a skillset from a different tier.

It doesnt work like that if you smurf, when you play exceptionaly well your MMR goes significantly up. Even if you lose next match, you go down only like 15 SR. And when you win, like 30+. Or even more. It depends on how hard you smurf.

2 Likes

That’s right. Watch the MMR

I have been matched against 2 golds, 3 silvers, 1 bronze most of the day, while my team has 2 to 3 unranked and the rest bronze - throw in a silver every once in a while.

This has been an ongoing thing all day.

Just wondering…casually…WHAT THE F. Granted - my win rate today has been about 48% but this isn’t something I’d call “50/50” chance of win. You got an explanation for that?

Yes, its called “being where you belong”. Around 50% winrate indicates that you are at your rank where you belong.

If you want to know why you lost these games, post replay codes do others can tell you what to fix in your gameplay.

I lost most of the games because of leavers and throwers, tbh. I identified my own mistakes as well. But that’s not what I’m getting at. The fact that I’m high bronze…getting paired against golds…is a bit disturbing - and more than 1 gold at that…while my team is unranked and all bronze. It’s definitely weird. I mean at the end of the day - I am progressing, so I can not really complain. It just seems really odd that most of today - I’m being pitted against golds.

If they are unranked they can have gold MMR too. You have mix ranks because they are in groups. Or you are.

True. I never thought about that. I think I’ve been holding my own against them. The MMR thing is really confusing tbh.

1 Like

Hmm yeah. That’s why i can swap to my worst heroes, and after a few games get easier matches to help me win half my games? And when i swap back to my main, the game’s are unbalanced until the MMR forces even matches again and i go back to winning half?

The system adjusts to your play, that is what MMR IS. This pretty much amounts to a the matchmaker forcing even matches so hard that you win 50%. Not the other way around.

I guarantee if they turned off MMR and made matches by SR, you’d see some CRAZY swings. People would suddenly rank way up, or even down. Because without the matchmaker forcing 50%, and making people win half their games… they would drop and or rise like crazy and the game would be revealed to be a scam all this time.

Of course the, would. Removing MMR would cause a lot bigger swings, up or down, but your average place on ladder would be still same. Ranks would just be a lot more unstable which is bad thing.

Thats why we need MMR.

Lol no, system doesnt adjust to you. Thats silly. System doesnt care about you as individual. Do you know what you are for the system? 2300 MMR. Thats all. You are tool to make two balanced teams. Nothing more, any kind of thought that system care about your winrate or place on ladder is ridiculous.

Also system doesnt force 50% on you. It forced 50% chance to win on team. And its up to you if you do more or less to give your self higher chance to lose ir win.

How long are you plannng to preach about rigged system and forced games. Another two years? Why not try something else for once and post replay codes? I or someone else could help you and your wife to climb, what do you have to lose?

Except that’s exactly what MMR is. I take it you have not toyed with this system? I’ve spent a lot of time experimenting and witnessing first hand how it works. MMR is there to be a hidden rating, designed to force even matches with YOU in them. If you, for some reason, switch to a worse hero… you can see the game adjust to help you out.

You are completely delusional. The game uses MMR rather than SR to create matches. WHY WOULD THAT BE? So they can look at your recent play, adjust the playing field, and try to create an even match.

The definition of the MMR is to look at your play, adjust to create an even match.

LMAO what? How can game adjust to help you out just because you play different hero? And you call me delusional? Lol.

Matchmaker is not Oracle dude…

1 Like

You’ll never get it. It’s been explained over and over, and you always come with the same thing about the matchmaker having to predict the future.

One last time…

If someone is sucking, or perhaps playing very well… how can you make an even match with them in it?

Just think for a while about it. Maybe you’ve never played a pick up game of basketball, or maybe where you’re from there’s no school sports or concept of making even teams with the players available. Maybe the first and only time you’ve ever played a team game is in Overwatch. But see if you can figure out for yourself…

HOW do you try and make the match even? Imagine there is some sort of “hidden rating” for each player too. Think real hard, and let’s just pretend someone has been playing poorly, yet is still close to the same rank… and an even match has to be made!

Considering you have ALL of the data from ALL of their recent play at your fingertips. How might you make an even match?

Randomly select players and ignore all the data sitting right in front of you?

Nope… keep guessing!

(and i don’t mean on your 8th bronze to whatever account)

1 Like