Echo should have an identity chrisis

There have been discussions about Overwatch characters not having much nuance, not being very interesting. The most common comparison being that of TF2’s Medic and Overwatch’s Mercy.

Sadly, I’m forced to agree for the most part. There’s lots of potential to be had, many characters are based on very creative concepts. Tracer having been stuck between time, Winston being a research subject who nevertheless loved his caretaker, etc. etc.

What strikes me as a huge missed opportunity is that of Echo’s character. What has every major AI in fiction had in common? Confusion and chaos! Hal 9000 wouldn’t seize control of the ship even if it would force him to go against his crew. Data from ST:TNG always wanted to be more human, despite the consequences that may have followed.

So how come Echo, who’s main purpose is to absorb data and integrate it into itself, isn’t confused over her own personality and identity? Whenever she’s done transforming herself into a perfect replica of another being, she should be scared and uncertain of who she really is. Does she even have her own identity? Does she want one?

She wouldn’t even have to be depressed or angry about it. It could be used as comedy, her forgetting who she is for a moment. Though one cannot deny the saddening implications stemming from what could only be called a form of personality disorder, if she were to have one.

It just feels like a missed opportunity is all…

5 Likes

Might be a thing in Overwatch 2. You forget, we don’t see the personal lives of the heroes in-game as much. Nobody was aware D.Va had PTSD until her animated short, where we see that her character was much deeper than a MtDew Gremlin.

1 Like

She doesn’t have PTSD.

5 Likes

You don’t think the flashbacks of “I’m hit!” with her rapidly flying around the Guishin signify some sort of negative mental impact?

1 Like

That looked like a flashback for the audience’s sake, not Hana literally having a flashback. She doesn’t have any symptoms of PTSD.

2 Likes

She touched it, very slowly, and looked off into the distance.

She looked scared, like she’s gonna have the same issue agian.

Sounds like PTSD to me.

1 Like

I don’t think she looked scared, she seemed more worried and determined.

1 Like

points to head
You can’t have a personality disorder if you don’t have a personality.