Earning OWL Tokens

Yeah, the green circle will stick around for a minute or so before vanishing into thin air. Something similar can happen on YouTube with the “live” icon greying out, but on the whole Youtube has been more reliable for me.

1 Like

Unlike the website, when watching on youtube if there is diamond underneath video and says connected that means you are earning tokens. Few times whenever that red dot turned to grey i still managed to earn tokens. To earn tokens i use Opera browser because it only has OWL cookies and watch matches on youtube because it’s much more reliable then website.

2 Likes

Thank you, ill try youtube for today

1 Like

Does watching the encores on youtube count for tokens?

Yes it does. I also watch encores and you can earn tokens and Widow OWL grey skin for watching 5 hours.

1 Like

Hey everyone, sorry if any of you having issues with earning Overwatch League tokens. I will try to keep an eye on any trending issues but also remember that on occasion token drops can be delayed at times. I do recommend that anyone having issues across multiple broadcasts check this guide from Blizzard Support.

Yes, any of the premiere encores do work. I will note they are doing things a little differently this week by showing it as a series of scheduled premieres so everyone can catch their favorite teams before the next set of live matches begins. I do recommend keeping an eye on it and making sure that after each premiere broadcast you are tuned in to the next one.

11 Likes

The biggest issue earning tokens is that over the past few days, match streams overlap like crazy and you end up losing out on tokens because you can only view one stream at a time for it to count.

For example, next encore is in 5 minutes. FM & LSF still have one more map to go. That’s an additional ~20 minutes I miss out on due to the overlap. It would be nice if we just had one giant stream…

3 Likes

I don’t always get my tokens when I watch but then days or weeks later a whole bunch will randomly drop while I’m in a game so sometimes it’s just VERY delayed.

Did you watch it on the PlayOverwatch channel or the Overwatch League channel? Only the latter gives tokens as far as I can tell.

Took me an entire day to realize who you are… looking good in blue

I have problems as well i watched the whole night on yt and i got 6 tokens or something like that. It is very strange since everything is connected and it said it under the stream that is connected. I usually dont have any problems with that.

You should let Contenders know they are having issues… if you can. It took 15+ more extra hours to get the Ball skin when it should’ve dropped on the EU/NA first day. Had to wake up for BOTH Korean contenders days.

Ugh. How annoying that this is happening to someone else. I’ve been watching the OWL for hours and hours for the past few weeks and I’m stuck at 95 tokens :confused: Guess I’ll follow people’s suggestions and watch solely on YT

Your new here aren’t you… OHHHH!

Oh! This is a different color for you! :slight_smile:

How is Blizzard treating you?

How did you not know this?

Given they are telling us about it… surely that implies they did know it.

The counter to this can be demonstrated with yesterday’s matches. The full broadcast went 19 of 20 maps, so each match got pushed farther and farther back, to a broadcast that lasted over 9 hours. Even with the encores starting at 7:30am PT, it would ultimately interfere with today’s broadcast starting with Watchpoint at 3:30pm PT.

This method ensures that the last match finishes at least an hour before the live broadcast starts. There’s a bit of overlap, so earning hours is truncated a bit, but even watching every encore in one day is enough to earn 6 hours, getting the team mascot sprays and Widow OWL skins.

Theoretically, by this point, if you’ve watched all of the original broadcasts and every encore, you’ve also already earned the 200 OWL tokens needed for the Royal Knight Mercy skin.

Now I gotta calculate how many Tokens did I miss just becuz I rolled my eyes and did NOT watch those Encores…And trust me, we’re probs talking a good 5,000 or more tokens I’ve missed out on, since I officially watched for Tokens since Season 3 of OWL…(INCLUDING TODAY!!! Which I am lucky there is still an Encore playing so that I can collect some of those tokens)

You could also cut all watchpoint commentary, map breaks, interviews, etc. and get under the 8 hour mark, so encore would line up perfectly with match start.

The real reason they don’t do this is because it’s simply easier on the editors to just clip the matches in chunks.

So, each tournament has, let’s say roughly 30 hours of encore presentations. With 4 tournaments a year, and 3 years of viewership (starting with Season 3, then watching seasons 4 and the current season 5), you’re looking at around 360 hours, or 1800 OWL tokens; 2400 tokens if we’re being generous with 40 hours per tournament. That’s still less than half of what you estimated for all 3 years, and this 5th season hasn’t even finished.

I was able to find a confirmation in early Season 4 of OWL via the Overwatch Streaming Rewards Guide thread, where they quoted the OWL website. Not entirely sure about Season 3 Encores (if those were available or not), but I recall it was pretty implicit that encores were put in place to allow other time zones to earn tokens/rewards.