E-sport "inclusiveness": you can do better :-/

Avg reaction times between men and women are different enough to make an impact.

Women’s esports leagues/competitions make sense to me.

Omegalul…

Its kinda true (for low elo players).

1 Like

Rock Angelz was a reference I wasn’t expecting to see, and it’s made my night lmao!

1 Like

No impact on performance is exactly why we had only 1 female pro in OWL and zero successful female pro teams overall in industry

That could be case of Western countries, but in Asia there are tons hardcore female gamers. Theyre just not as good as males for some reason. It has something to do with hormones probably.

Mentally and morally asian females can be as cruel and brutal as males, but that doesn’t allow em to compete as equals. There is a physiological difference somewhere.

I honestly doubt it, especially regarding reaction time. Women and men’s brain are a lot more alike than then they’re different.

Probably culture still affects females from becoming pro gamers. Also, aside from personality differences, gender difference affect how far one is likely to be competitive as well. It all adds up even if the differences are miniscule at individual levels.

More pro male gamers = harder for female gamers to enter the pro scene in male dominated environment without things like female-only tournaments.

4 Likes

exactly. although I have underlined some critical issues on the term “safe environment”, I fully agree that although the intention was “the beginning of paying attention to this problem”, the timing with which it was organized was more or less unacceptable compared to many other organizational plans. I do not understand how it was possible to propose a particularly short (if not non-existent) timing for this info.

by the way: this is the first day stream.

I am not aware that the official Overwatch news blog is “unofficial”. yet there it is, with words about inclusiveness. Yet the opportunity to advertise it was there. at the wrong times, but there was. In this definition, blizzard comes out no less guilty. or the entire organizational plan of the OWL, for the words that were used in the post.

2 Likes

Why should all male teams be sanctioned??
Equality means to not put someone on a disadvantage based on race, age, gender etc.
It doesnt mean becoming discriminating to the male sex.

“you know youre qualified to be the right player for us, but since youre male and our male contingent is already full we need to reject you.”

3 Likes

Holy crap the ignorance is actually mind-blowing.

5 Likes

I doubted it too but it’s apparently true.

Just compare me or any avg guy with any professional male athlete, our brains are also more alike than different and yet it’s like they are in another world athletically.

Small differences in the averages can make for big margins at the top compete level.

Search feminism on wikipedia pls

The main barrier to more women in esports is that gamers in general are still incredibly hostile towards women. How many nasty words have you heard female gamers be ther recepient of? How many women do you know that won’t use voice because they know they’re going to get harassed one way or another.

Many women have been denied roles on teams just because they’re a woman. Avalla, the current GM for Paris Eternal, was denied a coaching role on an OWL team because none of the players wanted a woman coaching them. Many T2/T3 female players have been denied opportunities because they were “too vocal” in voice chat, and were often getting ignored by their male teammates, and we know that this complaint wouldn’t fly if it was a male. Heck, there’s even a pro in Valorant that will straight up mute all women in his games.

It would be nice if we could judge players based on their gameplay and not their gender, but right now the community just… sucks. So for now, until we as a community can be better, all-female tournaments are a must.

17 Likes

He meant the actual tourney, which from the information i see, is affiliated with blizzard in no official way

1 Like

Apparently nothing is ever right.

No one is stopping anyone from organizing their own empowerment cup. Like, where’s the actual problem?

2 Likes

Male only empowerment cup. Certainly wouldnt be critizised to be sexist.

1 Like

That’s because of genetic diversity. Which in my opinion makes a much bigger difference between people than gender does. While there might be some difference in cognitive and behavioral traits between genders, I don’t think it’s as big of a difference as we think at least when it comes to video game performance.

1 Like

I wonder how many women will fall for this when Blizzard is acknowledging that they’re bad at playing Overwatch?

1 Like

I’m talking about one which includes everyone.

Don’t they have separate chess leagues though? I mean that’s a much slower paced game.

Now you see the issue with a tournament excluding male players?