Dying as a tank feels so awful

I think one of the most stressful things in 5v5 tanking is dying. Cuz when you die, you just watch your team collapse one by one and you think, “what have I done.”

And it would make a lot of sense if tanks were these super op mega characters that were unkillable (ignore orisa’s existence), but nowadays, with hitbox increase and healing reduction debuff, killing the tank is so easy, it’s very demotivating to play.

And the gameplay is designed in a way that you can’t hide behind the corner all the game, you have to be active. From my experience with tanking, it feels like, “I need to commit to this attack or defense and make sure I only lose 90% of my HP during this.”

And I am sure if the tank “buff” they do actually appears to be a strong buff, it will be reverted or tanks will just get an extra nerf.

Why don’t we change the role name into a “punchbag” then?

God forgive you if you accidentally carried a bit on monkey, INSTA REAPER BASTION. Zeus have mercy on you if you landed 1 kill on the enemy support by ball, INSTA SOMBRA AND CASS. Apollo forgive your sins if you accidentally punch someone with ramatra, INSTA MAUGA BASTION ANA ZEN.

You are not allowed to have fun or be impactful. Just make sure to commit in a way that only loses 90% of your hp and retreat!

8 Likes

I’m a Ball main and I think the knockback resistance of other tanks is going to nerf him a lot. My only counter play to Hog before was booping him off the map.

It really isn’t, provided the tank doesn’t play like a puppet with its strings cut.

I mainly play support, in most situations I can keep a tank up, if they’re playing smart and not doing stupid things like running around corners to chase after a kill, leeroying into the entire enemy team without using defensives, rushing ahead of their support etc etc.

I’ve seen tanks able to do amazing things, when they’re sticking with and protecting their support. Even against the matchups you’ve mentioned. The only times I notice tanks really getting merced is when they do a stupid or their support is dead and they can’t get any healing.

1 Like

They already almost are and dont need to be anymore then they already are

1 Like

Orisa Hog and Mauga aren’t all other tanks…

Tank is the most demanding role, because you have to keep track of every vital resources of your team and the enemy, while understanding how your team plays and the enemy team. Than you have to drain the enemy resources without overspending yours

One mistake can cost you dearly
Yep, tank is utterly stressful

3 Likes

If the enemy team targets the tank with 2-3 endless hard counter picks, you will die if you are proactive. Reaper will chase monkey, you can’t hide all the time.

Yes but that means you have to rely on random strangers on the internet to carry your game without you having any impact on it. Like you go Orisa, ok, you don’t die, but all the game you just sit there afk and pray your team is better. That’s not fun.

That’s is bronze gameplay being described here.

beyond tired of tank issue deniers and galighters like you.

that’s just boring. like I said, lose 90% of your HP only gameplay.

and very unforgiving

I kinda agree. Its a lot more dramatic when you die as a tank in 5v5. However, it is nice to see a team who knows when to retreat and I often see this when I die. Its comforting to know that my team wont be completely wiped out if I get wiped out.

Yep, another point that adds so much stress to the role

the most problem with this is that the counterpick on tanks is too strong… then hardcounter the enemy tank is the best way to win a match.

I do not mind dying as a tank because usually someone tried to help me. All I ever needed was love…

3 Likes

Usually happens when I’m either Support, or Tank.

They all follow in death, and I hear the sound cue for every one of them.

Sometimes I also hear “Team Kill” in muffled background. Truly a pain in the rear.

I have problem tanks that sit on chokes all game and never push foward.

Or I have Tanks that keep backing up and into and behind me. It’s gotten to the point where I have to play a long-ranged healer like Lifeweaver nowadays.

It also helps playing him when I have to deal with a Tank that deep-dives and I have to pull them out of it; because my co-Support Kiriko refuses to use Swiftstep to aid them; and likes to hide behind me.

Not really. Damage-role is still more challenging. Certain tanks can still be mechanically difficult to play, Wrecking Ball and Junker Queen certainly do. But tracking your team isn’t too difficult or challenging, as long as they don’t do stupid things.

Ehhh… I’ve won games as Junker Queen vs. Orisa, Sigma, Ramattra and Roadhog. I’ve won games as Doomfist against Orisa, and D.va. I’ve won games as Roadhog against Ana, Mauga and Kiriko. It is not that difficult.

What matters is compositions and less to do with Tank counters. As certain team combinations can be difficult to Tanks to individually overcome; thankfully this is a team game and the rest of your team can coordinate and work well in overcoming specific weaknesses in your composition.

It’s not about tracking your team, it’s about tracking everyone and keep track of every vital CD used and the corresponding cooldown

Did they really just say Damage role is more challenging?

Yeah effing right. Don’t get gaslit by this one, that is so hilariously wrong it must be on purpose :laughing:

Again, not really. It’s easy enough to watch for cooldowns of specific counterplays of your tank (which does require some foreknowledge), but otherwise isn’t that difficult.

To me it’s not difficult either but I am bad comparison. Played in the GM equivalent in heroes of the storm for a long time on tank.
For many it is difficult because you have to keep so much stuff on your mind

yeah I just played my first game of Sojurn, on Comp even and seriously its the most braindead easy hero, such easy value.

yeah i tried 1 game of tank in 5v5… never again, couldn’t do anything, couldn’t take space, maintain space, mitigate damage, kill anything… nothing, just walked back from respawn, got melted in 0.2 nanoseconds, rinse and repeat…

not for me… i like to play the game, not, play “Hide in the corner, get bodied, then walk all the way back to point”

It’s a learned skill. One that acquired with actual play and understanding of the game, and really more of question of timing than anything mechanical or difficult to execute. Much like active triage, it just requires attention and timing.

Heroes of the Storm is a little different from Overwatch, though. As are the Warriors in that game. They aren’t built like Overwatch Tanks, and many of them are quite good at absorbing damage with much more difficult damage calculations. Still, HotS limited the number of warriors per team, because they knew that they were kinda broken there too.

1 Like

It’s a skill that is not too easy to acquire for the OW audience. Many come into the game from a shoot background

Teamfight economy and the way tanks dance and engage are very similar between OW and HOTS.

Funfact: Heroes of the storm had a massive problem with toxic behavior because the report function wasn’t functioning at all, after a big outcry they implemented it properly and a f ton player got banned
Couple years later: The same thing happened to OW