Dropping from Group or Team Chat after a few minutes (mic appears muted)

On one of my two Windows 10 PCs, I’m continually being kicked out of group chat at some random point during the game, or while just sitting in the menus. The mic appears muted and I can’t unmute, but is still shows me in the group. A temp fix is to leave the group and rejoin, and it works for a few minutes, and then happens again. If I join team chat when it happens, then that works for a few minutes and then happens there too.

I’ve updated all my drivers, tried both corsair and steel series headsets, checked all my ports on windows firewall, updated network card drivers, and everything else I can think of. (I’m a software developer of 20+ years so I’m pretty good at troubleshooting). As I’ve mentioned, I have two PCs and two accounts for my family and it only happens on one of them. We have two internet connections, and it happens on both. I’ve tried having both PCs on the same network and on different networks and it is the same.

When it happens, others can hear me for just a few seconds, but I can’t hear them. Then eventually I’m completely cut off from hearing or speaking.

EDIT: HERE IS THE RESOLUTION____

I have fixed this issue on my setup. The problem and solution is as follows: Overwatch uses VoIP software for chat made by Vivox. This software does not require the packets to be modified as they move from inside your private network to the public internet – said another way, there is no need to have your router modify outgoing VOiP packets on ports 5060, 5061 to remove private IP addresses and insert public IP addresses. Doing so apparently confuses the Overwatch servers into thinking you are not in the group any longer and so it drops you, which appears an a muted mic that cannot be unmuted. So the fix is to turn off SIP ALG (aka SIP helper, SIP Fixup, SIP Pass-Thru, SIP Tranformations) inside your router. Pakets will no longer be modified as they pass to the public internet, and your IP address that Vivox already knows stays intact in the data packets, and the drop out issue is resolved.

1 Like