Double shield happened because of Sigma

Orisa was fine the way she was, she had some good synergy with Hog and the hook pull combo.

Then you added Sigma, who obviously has way to much damage even for his “short” range and moving shield. And once they found out the insane shield stack double shield became a thing.

Sigma is the problem in double shield.

He needs changes. I really want him to be a good viable shield tank, maybe they should give him more range but less damage and more shield health, something to make his tanky enough to hold his ground without the need of another shield.

What do you guys think?

5 Likes

He was. Now let’s see the ragers try to spin this with blaming Orisa who they never played or raged at prior to Double shield.

i mean double shield isnt even that good anymore compared to before.

1 Like

I agree with this OP, however you are a couple of months late.

I hated seeing both of them butchered just because of the flaws of a new hero.

6 Likes

I think there was always the potential, and even if you nerfed Sigma to the ground, you’d get a lot of Orisa/Rein usage.

That said, Orisa/Rein isn’t as nearly a strong combo, because if the attack range mismatch.

But personally, even choosing between

1. MainTank Orisa, OffTank Sigma
  2. MainTank Orisa, MainTank Sigma, but both are weaker at close range
  3. Limiting the game to only 1 Barriertank per team
  4. Putting a rule that weakens 2 BarrierTank mid-game

I currently prefer option #2.
In particular, make barriertanks have lower HP, to give them that close range weakness.
But in trade they get strong barriers, and a bit more firepower.

✅ Fixing BarrierTanks and OffTanks

1 Like

barrier tanks have the lowest hp in the tank category

hog, winston, dva, ball

And I’m suggesting to make it even lower.
350hp for Orisa/Sigma and 400hp for Rein.

But they get a lot of fun goodies in return, with the goal of giving barriertanks the same level of Fun of offtanks.

what orisa is already bad, reinhardt is a melee hero why would he need lower hp?

2 Likes

if we do that then we need to buff the shield tanks too with more dps shields, etc

Because I’m suggesting giving them back their September tier barriers, plus 14% more firepower.

yeah but double shield purpose is to never shoot the people behind the barrier

Well another catch is you move Mei to the Tank role, which prevents her filling the function of an offtank.

Then you gut the effectiveness of Fortify and Kinetic Grasp.

Since the goal of a Deathball/Dive comp is to get into close range and brawl it out.

Which is kind of what the Reaper/Doomfist meta figured out. That it doesn’t matter how strong the barriers are, if you just walk right past them.

Oh yeah, and as an added bonus, it makes having two offtanks less of a problem.
Since if you speedboost+matrix a 600hp D.va/Hog into close range on 350hp Sigma/Orisa. Then the fight is almost in the D.va/Hog’s favor.

2 Likes

I always wanted his shield to be an ability that pushed enemies away upto 15m. Can block attacks. Long cooldown, 20 seconds. The shield would be curved. So you could scoop people into the air. His attacks would be modified.

Sigma is pretty weak rn, removing his shield CD on withdraw is something that would make him infinitely better without making Double Barrier much stronger

3 Likes

Synergy is never an one way street. Double shield happened because of Halt, Fortify, Grasp, Rock and both those tank’s damage made the comp uncoutereable.

Shields by themselves aren’t problematic because there’s comps that all but ignore them, the problem was that double shield was in fact a brawly deathball comp with bunker-level shields, even after you dealt with the shields, they still outvalued Rein or dove comps through sheer power of their cooldowns.

1 Like

Nerf his barrier and buff something else. Maybe grasp.

Doubleshield happened because they literally hate D.Va, so they gave her playstyles to other tanks then deleted her. Guess what happens when you introduce lots of powerful tanks with shielding, while deleting the powerful tank that didn’t use shield? Shields become mandatory.

Especially when you also add Sym’s ult, so it became triple shields. Which further deleted D.Va since it’s easier than learning your abc’s, to block her ult.

2 Likes

So what if you gut the power of Fortify/Grasp, prevent Mei acting as a budget-offtank, and give Sigma/Orisa 350hp each?

Then it almost wouldn’t matter how strong their barriers are, if you could get into close range on them, right?

Then you could give them strong barriers, and offtank levels of fun firepower.

Ok but double shield was being played in lower elo’s with Rein, Orisa.

So maybe it was more than just a single hero.