Don't bring back mass-rez, but get rid of Valkyrie

I can understand why mass-rez makes players frustrated, which is why I wouldn’t want it to return (even though as a Mercy player I found it enjoyable). But Valkyrie ruins everything fun about Mercy for its duration. This would not have been such a problem if it had a 5 second duration, but 15 seconds of every fun bit of her kit being simplified to boredom is just too long…

GET RID OF VALKYRIE

Valkyrie is the primary reason I left the game 2 years go. Valkyrie ruined Mercy, and even though it’s powerful/balanced/whatever and even though I understand they needed to get rid of mass-rez, I can not for the life of me understand why Valkyrie still exists. I’d rather have no ult at all…

Edit: to clarify what I mean by “ruins everything fun about Mercy for its duration” - I enjoyed beam juggling, target prioritization, the careful positioning to always have an escape route with guardian angel, etc. All of those things are simplified to a state of boredom with Valyrie… Valkyrie is such a horrible design that rewards skillful play by taking away the need for all that skill for over 10% of your total playtime

33 Likes

Personally, I really enjoy (edit for clarification: it is fun to use) Valkyrie; and I find it to be one of the most powerful ults in the game as well as arguably the very most versatile one as well

that said, I wouldnt want Valkyrie removed from Mercy

13 Likes

Valk used to mean something when it gave multi rez on a timer. You know the whole “ferrying the fallen to the halls of Valhalla” type deal.

Now you just float for a bi and heal real fast. Even the chains are pretty lame as your team has to be fairly close to get more than 2 or so people. It’s a weak and under whelming ult, about the same level of lame as Rally imo.

Not really sure what they could to replace it though as AoE healign has already been done. People rebelled hard against increased REz use. SO basically mercy would have to copy another support like Zen or nothing.

Honestly I felt the best thing they could do was buff her beams during her ult. Let them dmg boost and heal at the same time. Still not very impressive without a numbers increase but at least it’s something.

Right now Valk is just a worse version of Trans.

13 Likes

That may very well be the case (I don’t know, but it’s not the point)… It’s boring… it does everything for you… I don’t care if it is powerful and versatile, it ruins every bit of fun of playing Mercy… in my opinion anyways.

21 Likes

At very least Valk needs to be shorter and faster. It literally is the longest ult in the game and you’re there with skill covering powers out the wazoo for 15 bloody seconds.

Imagine if Soldier had aim hack+chain bullets+infinite flight+constant health regen+infinite ammo for 15 seconds. It’s just forking boring.

23 Likes

I enjoy valk. It’s what makes Mercy fun for me. Mass rezz does not and never will be “fun”.

4 Likes

The duration is about all Valk has going for it though. in term of output it’s way below Trans or Orisa’s Super charger. The fact you can’t heal, boost or use your pistol at the same time is another huge draw back.

Honestly most the time it’s just used to save mercy’s life.

1 Like

In a perfect world there would be a third alternative that would appeal both to people who currently enjoy Valkyrie and people who don’t. I know for a fact that Valkyrie is the PRIMARY reason I quit Overwatch 2 years ago. I’m sure there are others like me.

8 Likes

When you’re not here to compare mass Res to Valkyrie but people still bring it up. Y’all, we just don’t like Valkyrie and would prefer mass Res.

7 Likes

I don’t want to sound insensitive; that doesn’t really matter, because there are others who will replace or enjoy her. It goes for anyone who mains a specific hero. If you quit over x, that’s a personal decision. OW is about finding a balance in gameplay and not what main finds what unfun of their hero.

I get it, it’s a bit unfair, but at the end of the day it comes down to what’s healthy for the overall balance.

4 Likes

If it were up to me, I would weaken and/or flat out remove every skill covering power Valk provides, but “hard” changes to Valk are unlikely at this point, numbers rebalance is the best we can get, if anything at all.

In my opining Mercy’s defining ability is not rez, it’s her mobility. And by defining I mean what makes her the most fun to play. Lock-on beams and being a healer is definitely a part of that, because they enable her to be mobile and do her job simultaneously. Swooshing back and forth while keeping track of enemy movements, staying alive, and keeping your team alive/boosted, is a fun way to play.

They can remove Valkyrie, Rez, the boosting-beam, and do something more fun with her kit for all I care. As long as she has a lock-on healing beam and guardian angel she’s still Mercy, everything else they can throw away and redo.

2 Likes

Well as you see, opinions are like buttholes… everybody has one.

I for example cannot understand how anything can ruin the fun and skill of mercy. I do not see that Mercy at any point had anything of that even to the smallest degree.

At least now you can play superman with her :wink:

1 Like

The one thing I can agree on is removing resurrect entirely, but I suspect that will be another “they gutted Mercy” again, even if they compensate that with 100hps. Or if they remove valk, and only change her healing output. I don’t think there will ever be a middleground.

1 Like

Well, in theory you are correct. But as you may have noticed on the forums there are plenty of people who are not happy with Mercy and how she turned out. While there are plenty of people who prefer her the way she is now, and perhaps even only started to enjoy her after her rework, there are a massive amount of people who don’t like the direction she’s gone. You can’t possibly tell me that there isn’t room for a change that would appeal more to both categories of players. A change wouldn’t necessarily have to make people who currently enjoy Mercy like her less. Thinking there are only two options is narrowminded and perhaps why we’re in this very hateful forum discussing Mercy time and time again…

3 Likes

I like Valkyrie.

I personally find it fun, and as many people have and will point out, fun is subjective. What you don’t find fun, others will, and vise versa.

I like Valk because I feel it gives me free range of her kit, I can better take things into my own hand like taking out a Pharah, Widow, etc, or I can lead my team into battle with damage boost, as well as get to rez more easily.

I know many will disagree with me and call it “spectator mode”, but I find it’s the complete opposite.

2 Likes

Mercy is not the most difficult hero to play, but to be really efficient with her you need to apply yourself. As the only hero (to my knowledge) that has a 360 degree field of view while doing your job (you can turn and look around while healing) you have a responsibility to your team to anticipate enemy movements, call out tactical moves, and with big target on your back (like all healers have) you have to stay safe… but as Mercy you have great abilities to actually stay safe if you just position yourself cleverly. Mercy should never die, basically (or no more than once or twice)…

Mercy’s kit is easy… but keeping your team alive is difficult…

Hard disagree. Valkyrie is my favorite ability in this game by far. It’s the most versatile ult by miles and raises Mercy’s skill ceiling considerably.

1 Like

I’ve called it spectator mode on more than one occasion, but I realize it’s not that black and white. It kind of depends on what you choose to do with it. You could go Battle Mercy, you could engage and enable a push/defense. But what it comes down to, in my opinion, is that it gives you a longer guardian angel range and free flight, so your positioning is not as important anymore, it gives you chain beams, so your quick thinking in terms of target prioritization doesn’t matter anymore, and it improves your regeneration so survivability is not as difficult anymore… I prided myself by staying alive, by doing my job efficiently and making the quick calls/decisions. With Valkyrie I felt like it was done for me.

You need to be doing much more than that with Valk. Floating and healing is not always the answer. If you want to see some clips of how I use it, here’s a link to a thread I made a while back about it.

1 Like